Notifications, Purged Accounts, Stats, TxtLJ, Gulf_Aid_Now

In response to your requests, we wanted to take some time to answer some of your outstanding questions. Buoyed by your encouragement last week, Meme convinced Frank to go white-water rafting down the Russian River for a while (more details below). Frank will be stopping by the local watering hole to unwind and would love to hear all about your most memorable (i.e., dramatic) aquatic adventure, whether it was whooshing down a water slide, parasailing off a cliff, or falling in a mud puddle. Cry him a river, and he'll float you a boat.

Important stuff to know

  • Notifications: We've been working hard to resolve notification issues. You may have already noticed an improvement in news notifications. We're reducing announcement notifications by turning off notifications for inactive accounts. This will reduce server loads to ease congested queues. We know many of you are still experiencing delayed or missing notifications, so we want to assure you that repairing our notification system is a top priority.
  • Purging suspended accounts: We expect to start purging suspended accounts by August. The hold-up is that we're still modifying and testing scripts to ensure that all posts--including comments and community entries--associated with suspended accounts are properly purged. For more technical details on how these purges will work, please see this post. We'll let you know when these purged usernames become available.
  • EDIT: Purging inactive accounts: One of the benefits of the work we've done to purge suspended accounts is that we will now be able to purge inactive journals and communities too--something you've been requesting for years! A journal is defined as inactive if it has not been logged into for 24 consecutive months and has only one post (i.e., the welcome post). A community is defined as inactive if has not been updated for 24 consecutive months and has only one entry and no comments. Once an account is eligible to be purged for inactivity, the owner will be sent an email to alert them of the inactive status. The owner will then have two weeks to log into the journal or post to their community to prevent it from being deleted. If the owner does not log in or post, the account will be deleted and treated like any other deleted account (the owner will have 30 days to log in and undelete the account to prevent it from being purged). Purging inactive accounts will take place sometime after we've begun purging suspended accounts, probably in late August. Again, you can read technical details about suspended and inactive account purges in this post. We'll be sure to let you know when these purged usernames become available.
  • TxtLJ update: We want to give you a heads up that we're researching other mobile messaging options that will allow us to extend this feature to our international users. If you're a paid or permanent user, you can read more about it here.

Header design contest

Thanks to all of you for participating in the first round of polls. This week, we'd like to present the finalists for your voting pleasure. We regret that a couple of entries got lost along the way. We hope you'll resubmit them for inclusion in our next header contest. We'll begin accepting entries next week. We hope you'll help us decide which header will grace the top of LiveJournal by casting your ballots here. Polls close on Monday, July 19th, at 3PM, PDT.

Gulf_Aid_Now charitable vgift

We're delighted to announce that gulf_aid_now has already raised over $3,000 to support clean-up and wildlife protection in the wake of the oil disaster. They've created a charitable vgift, which will help fund environmental recovery efforts. Priced at $0.99, we'll donate all proceeds to the National Wildlife Foundation's Oil Spill Fund (we'll cover the processing fees). We want to thank you, again, for coming together to make a positive social impact.

The adventures of Frank & Meme

Frank and Meme are taking a short vacation up north to reconnect. When they return, they'll be setting up a cozy new abode. Based on your feedback, we'll post brief prompts in the newsletter each week and ask you to submit original fanfic to frankandmeme. We'll be using +1 ratings to choose which entry will continue the narrative (we're thinking, up to 300 words with or without an image). A very short excerpt and link to the winning submission will be published in news under a cut. All participants will receive 500 LJ tokens, while the winning author will be awarded 1,000 LJ tokens. Frank and Meme will still give out vgifts to those who comment on the winning post (at their new address). We look forward to hearing further suggestions at frankandmeme.

For our featured photo, we'll catch you under the cut!

Photo of the week

Congrats to r4m1r3z, who won our 29th lj_photophile poll! Click here to vote for the next photo of the week. Just a note: We used a combination of comments and +1 ratings to select photos for the poll this week, but we plan to start using +1 ratings only moving forward. Of course, your comments are always welcome.

Thanks again for joining us. We'll see you next week!
Tags: frank & meme, gulf_aid_now, lj_photophile, notifications, purge inactive accounts, purge suspended accounts, stats, txtlj

ahem
i love that you're the first one to post here...
oh boy.

Deleted comment

daluci

July 14 2010, 23:42:22 UTC 6 years ago Edited:  July 14 2010, 23:53:45 UTC

Inactive deletion will probably cause a hubbub, but I think it's pretty neat of you to be doing it.

And, oh, do I hope the notification patching works! That would be super shiny.

Yep, there goes that hubbub. Whee.
I can think of at least two dead people on my friendlist whose scribblings here are going to get purged under the new rules.

Memorial Status

eliskimo

6 years ago

Re: Memorial Status

txvoodoo

6 years ago

lynn1221

6 years ago

Oh
I almost drowned when I was 9 and then again when "tubing" those are my most exciting water adventures...yeah...water for me = nice to look at.
Hey, I almost drowned when I was 9, too! Small world. :/

I *still* can't let my nose and eyes get underwater.
Probably time for everyone with deceased friends with LJs to contact Support to see about getting those journals given Memorial status.
I didn't even realize you could have a journal given Memorial status. *off to look it up*

azurelunatic

6 years ago

quiet000001

6 years ago

azurelunatic

6 years ago

fic_faery

6 years ago

azurelunatic

6 years ago

fic_faery

6 years ago

NOT AT WORK, LIVEJOURNAL. WHEN WILL YOU LEARN?

brenden

6 years ago

shutter

6 years ago

shutter

6 years ago

LJ promised that journals would NOT be deleted for inactivity, so long as they had content. THis is really, really not helpful.

Deleted comment

thewalkingman

6 years ago

imaria

6 years ago

je_suis

6 years ago

imaria

6 years ago

z3bulin

6 years ago

je_suis

6 years ago

lafinjack

6 years ago

je_suis

6 years ago

z3bulin

6 years ago

je_suis

6 years ago

ex_memento

6 years ago

je_suis

6 years ago

spiralled

6 years ago

hardblue

6 years ago

carnimirie

6 years ago

je_suis

6 years ago

carnimirie

6 years ago

makomk

6 years ago

trialia

6 years ago

entropy_house

6 years ago

je_suis

6 years ago

amokk

6 years ago

entropy_house

6 years ago

hoshi3

6 years ago

flamsterette_x

6 years ago

hoshi3

6 years ago

flamsterette_x

6 years ago

hoshi3

6 years ago

flamsterette_x

6 years ago

mokie

6 years ago

hoshi3

6 years ago

mokie

6 years ago

hoshi3

6 years ago

Thank you for the purge news!!! <3
This so much.

ishte

6 years ago

Deleted comment

This.

nycscribbler

6 years ago

radiantsoul

6 years ago

z3bulin

July 14 2010, 23:44:38 UTC 6 years ago Edited:  July 14 2010, 23:46:14 UTC

My most memorable aquatic adventure?

Deep sea fishing, five years old, and being seasick for HOURS. Got home and ate shark for dinner.

In addition, I like the idea of purging journals. Obviously, if someone wanted to keep them, they'd be using them more often. Can we go a step further and purge all the "first"-type posts that always accompany News announcements, too? ;p
I've seen the gulf aid now, but the sail boat is new to me.
The zealous account purging is interesting, but I'm a bit worried about the criteria given for communities. Specifically:
> Once an account is eligible to be purged for inactivity, the owner will be sent an email to alert them of the inactive status. The owner will then have two weeks to log into the journal or post to their community to prevent it from being deleted.

This reads as though only the community maintainer (or worse, only the one who created the community) will receive the warning. As communities involve a large number of people, it seems like it would be much more effective (and fair) if all members with posting rights were to get the warning, not just the "owner" of the account. Would that be possible, and if so, have you considered doing it that way?
For once, I'm kind of with LJ. I understand what you're saying, but if the community is that large, wouldn't it be getting post and comment activity anyway somewhere in the span of two years?

txvoodoo

6 years ago

fencer_x

6 years ago

catchingspirit

6 years ago

trialia

6 years ago

THANK YOU for moving Frank and Meme omg
lolwut

FIRST PAGE
This post makes me happy.
Purging inactive accounts: One of the benefits of the work we've done to purge suspended accounts is that we will now be able to purge inactive journals and communities too--something you've been requesting for years! A journal is defined as inactive if it has not been logged into for 24 consecutive months. A community is defined as inactive if has not been updated for 24 consecutive months. Once an account is eligible to be purged for inactivity, the owner will be sent an email to alert them of the inactive status. The owner will then have two weeks to log into the journal or post to their community to prevent it from being deleted. If the owner does not log in or post, the account will be deleted and treated like any other deleted account (the owner will have 30 days to log in and undelete the account to prevent it from being purged). Purging inactive accounts will take place sometime after we've begun purging suspended accounts, probably in late August. Again, you can read technical details about suspended and inactive account purges in this post. We'll be sure to let you know when these purged usernames become available.

Please don't. Some of these are roleplaying journals which post only to communities, after all.
I don't think those would be purged. It says for activity, the account only has to be logged into. Thus, posting to the communities would count because the journal would be logged in to post.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, LJ, because that would be a very huge problem.

sarajayechan

6 years ago

catchingspirit

6 years ago

imaria

6 years ago

asinnerofsorts

6 years ago

sarajayechan

6 years ago

asinnerofsorts

6 years ago

crschmidt

6 years ago

asinnerofsorts

6 years ago

Deleted comment

swanlings

6 years ago

vetch

6 years ago

the_lady_lily

6 years ago

Deleted comment

sarajayechan

6 years ago

My most dramatic water incident was at a hotel pool when I was 9. Some kid shoved me in and I've never been the best swimmer, so I freaked out. My friends and I spent the rest of the night fantasizing how we'd get back at him for being such a jerk.
Will purging inactive journals and communities be automatic or only done on request from someone who wants the name?

If it's only on request, I see how this makes sense, although it still makes me sad.

If it's going to be automatic, I dislike this extremely -- certainly there are journals that have no content of note and have been abandoned, and journals where the owners have lost all information to authenticate themselves to LJ, and just want the content to go away -- but there are also journals with interesting/hilarious/deep entries whose authors have stepped away from LJ maybe forever, but people still link to their stuff and read it.
And I know that Memorial accounts will remain intact -- what about users who have purchased a permanent account?

surrey_sucks

6 years ago

azurelunatic

6 years ago

surrey_sucks

6 years ago

trixieleitz

6 years ago

trixieleitz

6 years ago

azurelunatic

6 years ago

trixieleitz

6 years ago

azurelunatic

6 years ago

trixieleitz

6 years ago

trixieleitz

6 years ago

Not happy about the inactive journal purge. I have lots of stuff memory'd from various accounts which may or may not be active. Sometimes I go re-read them. I'd prefer to be able to continue to do so. Yet another broken promise, but that's hardly worth mentioning at this point, I suppose.
Then save it elsewhere. It's not really that fair for a nine year old inactive journal with a name someone else actually wants to just sit there forever, unused.

azurelunatic

6 years ago

pathways

6 years ago

azurelunatic

6 years ago

cos

6 years ago

springheel_jack

6 years ago

pathways

6 years ago

springheel_jack

6 years ago

pathways

6 years ago

lafinjack

6 years ago

springheel_jack

6 years ago

azurelunatic

6 years ago

crschmidt

6 years ago

victorialupin

6 years ago

surrey_sucks

6 years ago

hinata

6 years ago

automat

6 years ago

judgedeadd

6 years ago

embitca

6 years ago

sharpiefan

6 years ago

automat

6 years ago

They changed it

daluci

6 years ago

thefacelessevil

July 14 2010, 23:49:21 UTC 6 years ago Edited:  July 15 2010, 00:19:47 UTC

Purging inactive accounts

Sounds freaking awesome, and I hope you guys actually do it and not randomly stop talking about it like the a la carte icon deal you talked about years ago. (disregard that, I...)
They went through with a la carte icons, actually.

thefacelessevil

6 years ago

daluci

6 years ago

thefacelessevil

6 years ago

thefacelessevil

6 years ago

daluci

6 years ago

thefacelessevil

6 years ago

daluci

6 years ago

thefacelessevil

6 years ago

daluci

6 years ago

thefacelessevil

6 years ago

technicolornina

6 years ago

LJ doing something they said they'd never do? SAY IT AIN'T SO!

Deleted comment

ed hardy jeans

lynn1221

6 years ago

lupislune

6 years ago

cresselia

July 14 2010, 23:49:51 UTC 6 years ago Edited:  July 14 2010, 23:52:02 UTC

I'm very concerned about the "inactive" accounts issue - I can see the point in it, by purging very old usernames that have been squatted on for years, but. I have a lot of old roleplaying accounts and communities that I enjoy rereading from time to time, and I would absolutely hate for them to just up and vanish. Archiving some of them isn't a problem, but I can only do that with ones that I own; communities that I have no admin access to, as well as the accounts of other players I liked reading, would be purged, and I really don't like that.

If you're going to purge "inactive" accounts, why not just limit it to ones that have seen no use whatsoever since their creation? Leave the ones with actual content alone instead of erasing potentially years' worth of data.
+1

penguinsane

6 years ago

Not me, but one of my brothers almost drowned when he was 7 or 8 years old. I think I was 3, but I remember.
My father jumped into the pool with all his clothes on to save him. Everything turned out okay, fortunately.