|Ready, steady, go! We've started to purge suspended accounts, so it's time to claim those usernames (more details below). We've also got some fun tweaks and enhancements, including drop-down tag selection. While we wade through these changes, Frank and Meme have been adrift in brisk waters. This afternoon, poor Frank curled up for a nap while Meme paddled, and he suffered a rather prominent sunburn where the sun doesn't typically shine. Since misery adores company, he's hoping you'll regale him with your worst sunburn experience. Share the heat, and he'll toss you a sunbrella.|
Important stuff to know
- Drop-down tag selection: In order to make tagging easier and more consistent, you will now see a drop-down list of tags whenever you start to type in a tag. You can also click Select Tags below the post box and use the checkboxes to add multiple tags.
- Purging suspended accounts: We've begun to purge suspended accounts, which will take approximately two weeks to complete and eliminate over two million suspended accounts. To set up an alert so you know when that coveted username hits the block, visit http://www.livejournal.com/manage/subscriptions/user.bml?journal=BestUsernameEver, replace "BestUsernameEver" with your desired username, and choose how you wish to be notified.
- Update on purging inactive accounts: Thank you, again, for sharing your feedback and concerns. To clarify, an inactive personal journal refers to any journal that has not been logged into for two consecutive years using any method of logging in, such as logging in while posting a comment, AND contains either no posts at all or only the LiveJournal welcome post. An inactive community refers to any community that has either no posted entries or only the LiveJournal welcome post. We also want to let you know that a journal purged for inactivity will NOT have its external content purged. This means that any comments that journal posted outside the journal and any community entries that journal made will remain visible even if the inactive journal is purged. After we finish purging suspended accounts, we'll be notifying inactive account holders to let them know if their journal or community is slated for purging. Users will be emailed three times over the course of six weeks. In addition, once an inactive account is deleted, the user will have 30 days to undelete. We hope this addresses some of the concerns you raised in response to last week's newsletter.
- Gifting LJ Tokens: You can now send LJ Token gifts anonymously. Here's how: Click the checkbox at the bottom of the LJ Tokens page labeled Send tokens anonymously.
- Gifting anonymous Paid time: We've fixed the bug that was preventing you from sending paid account time anonymously. To do so, click the checkbox marked Anonymous gift on the Gift a Paid account page.
- Search entries by two tags: In order to improve search results, we've created a feature that allows you to search for entries that contain two tags. To use this feature, use tehe following URL--http://username.livejournal.com/tag/tag1,tag2?mode=and-- and replace
username with the journal or community name (for example, curiouscupcakes), and replace tag1 and tag2 with your desired tags (for example, vanilla and chocolate). So, http://username.livejournal.com/tag/tag1,tag2?mode=and becomes http://curiouscupcakes.livejournal.com/tag/vanilla,chocolate?mode=and, yielding lots of delicious results. Keep in mind that if you choose tags that do not intersect or do not exist, you will not get results.
- Daily poll: We've added a daily poll question to our homepage (bottom right). The general theme is "Have you ever ..." Please use the spotlight suggestion form to submit poll questions.
We've got waffles for our paid users!
||If you have a paid or permanent account, you can send five free dessert waffles, also available in dairy- and gluten-free, now until Monday July 26th, at 4pm, PDT! You'll see both the free and the $0.99 treats displayed until you've served them to your friends. Please send only one at a time. In other words, you'll need to complete check-out and start a new order for each waffle you send. If you're not receiving vgifts (from friends and/or Frank), you may have disabled them. To enable vgifts, visit Edit profile (under Profile), scroll down to the bottom of the page, and check your settings. Bon appetit!|
Header design contest
We want to thank you for helping us choose the winner of this month's header design contest. Congratulations to delightedly for submitting the leading entry.
We'll be sending out LJ tokens to all participants: 2,500 to the winner, 1,000 to finalists, and 500 to all remaining participants
(only one award per user). You can now start posting your entries for the next header design contest at remixed. To avoid future mix-
ups, we'll be using +1 ratings, comments, and staff input in order to select finalists. Please limit submissions to a maximum of two per
user. The deadline for entries is Tuesday, August 3rd, at 4pm, PDT.
For our featured photo, we'll catch you under the cut! ( Read more...Collapse )
Thanks again for joining us. We'll see you next week!