iPhone app, Vgift contest, Free vgifts for Paid users

We're pretty starry-eyed about this month's winning header by marspathfinder, which is showering us in meteoric glow. We're also excited to tell you about our delicious new design contest (more on this below)! But before we get down to business, Frank is searching for ideas on where to take Meme for their fifth anniversary dinner. Tell him about your favorite dinner spot (be sure to illustrate with an appropriate userpic), and he'll send you a shiny black convertible to get you there (up through the first 10 pages of comments).

iPhone app enhancements

Update: We just learned that the new LiveJournal iPhone app is still pending final approval by Apple. It will be available in the Apple app store within the next couple of weeks. Here are some of the improvements you'll see:
  • Ability to view in horizontal mode
  • Adaptation for the iPhone 4G and iPad (the interface is stretched to full screen)
  • View links to other sites with the built-in browser
  • Filter Friends page
  • Improved content and image resolution
  • Spell-check and auto-correct for posts, comments, and messages
  • Text formatting improvements, including bold, italics, underline, strikeout

Important stuff to know:

  • Webmoney is back: We restored the Webmoney payment option in the LiveJournal Shop.
  • Squished comments:We fixed the comment display issue from last week that was impacting some site schemes.
  • Thread expander: We also fixed the issue with long comment threads, where some sub-threads could not be expanded properly.

Vgift design contest

We've got another creative contest to sweeten your day! Cook up a holiday dessert vgift for a chance to win 2,500 LJ Tokens (plus eternal fame and glory)! We'll select 15 finalists (who will receive 1,000 LJ Tokens), and put it to a vote. All users will get to send the winning vgift to five friends. Entries will be accepted up through Monday, November 29th at 4PM, PST at remixed. Okay, now the rules: Images should be 212 x 212 pixels, no more than 40kb if animated, in GIF or PNG format. Be sure the vgift shows an isolated object on a white or transparent background. We can't wait to see your stuff!

Let them eat grapes!

If you have a paid or permanent account, you can send five free fruit plates now until Monday, November 22nd, at 4pm, PDT! You'll see both the free and the $0.99 platters displayed until they've been devoured by your friends. If you're not receiving vgifts (from friends and/or Frank), you may have disabled them. To enable vgifts, visit Edit profile (under Profile), scroll down to the bottom of the page, and check your settings. Bon appetit!

Did you know ...?

This week we wanted to tell you about a couple of really cool beta features, which we're sure you'll love. If you're itching to find out which journals and communities are most popular with your friends, check out Popular with Friends. You can also find out how you're connected to any other Livejournal user by typing in their username in this Six Degrees tool. We'll see you next week with another fun tip!

For our featured photo and more from Frank and Meme, we'll catch you under the cut!

Photos of the week

Congrats to sayga, who won our 44th lj_photophile poll! Click here to help choose the next photo of the week. Another round of praise to our beloved shutter who won our "Eerie" themed contest with this photo and selected our next theme: Crossings! We look forward to seeing your submissions. FYI: We pick entries for the polls based on a combination of comments, +1 ratings, and staff input. Winners of both polls receive 500 LJ tokens. We thank you for sharing your talent with the global LiveJournal community.

Frank and Meme's Excellent Adventure

We're delighted to announce the winner of the Frank & Meme Fanfic contest. Congratulations to kirax2 whose submission--It's Just a Jump to the Left (and then a Step to the Right)--is the next official chapter in the Frank & Meme saga. Please start submitting your entries for the next contest at frankandmeme. On behalf of our quarreling darlings, we thank you for keeping the drama alive!

Thanks, again, for joining us. We'll see you next week!
Tags: frankandmeme, free vgifts for paid users, iphone app, photophile, vgift contest