theljstaff (theljstaff) wrote in news,

Release 88 sneak peek, Mashable Awards nomination, Holiday promotions, ONTD Games

December 14th, 2011 - Happy December Holidays and welcome to the official LiveJournal newsletter! Bringing you system updates, community events, and other newsworthy nuggets from the world of LiveJournal. Here's a look at what's news on and around LJ:

Release 88 sneak peek

Our final site update of the year, Release 88, is scheduled to go live around Tuesday, the 20th of December. We'll send out another announcement when the release goes live. In the meantime, barring any last minute changes, here's a sneak peek at a few features coming to LiveJournal with Release 88:
  • Comment pages have been redesigned! More information about specific changes will be announced in the next few days.
  • The LiveJournal homepage has been updated to include the LiveJournal Today feature, where you can find some of the recent entries on the site highlighted by our Editorial team.
  • The Update page and Edit entry pages have been changed. Most notably, the font in the HTML editor has changed, how lj-cuts appear in the Rich Text Editor (RTE) has been updated, and a few buttons/menu items are in different locations than they previously were.
More information about Release 88 will be available at lj_releases when the release goes live.

LiveJournal nominated at 5th annual Mashable awards!

Congratulations LiveJournal on being named a finalist in the 2011 Mashable Awards: Best Social Network.

For more than 10 years, LJ has changed the way people communicate with each other. Our global reach spans across millions of users, journals and communities. We have been with you when you were bullied (bullying_begone), when you were obsessed with fanfiction, when you discovered the mind-numbing power of celebrity gossip (ohnotheydidnt) and when you just wanted to share what was on your mind with the rest of the world.

Thanks to our users, LJ has been able to define the core concepts of Social Media: communication, creation and content across all online channels.
Vote for us here!

(Voting ends Dec.16, 2011)

Win an iPad 2!

Spirits of the season
Tis' the season, as it is often said, to embrace our companions and reflect as another year comes to pass. To that end, we here at LiveJournal U.S. invite you to join us in our celebration of December holidays at LJ's very first B.Y.O.B. (Bring Your Own Beliefs) Gift-Away! Bring out your favorite spirit of the season as we openly embrace the customs (or lack thereof) of the final month of the year.

To get your chestnuts roasting, we're throwing special giveaways on both LJ and Facebook for U.S. residents. Check out LJ_Contests for all the details. Our apologies to non-US residents, we'll get you in the mix during our next promotion. Stay tuned!

The Great ONTD Games community owner search

Mega Stan!
ontdgames is starting from scratch and we're in the market for a gaming fanatic residing in the U.S. who can take over as owner and inspire some of that delicious ONTD fierceness! If you've got that ONTD sparkle gleaming in your eye and you love games then you might just be the community owner LJ is looking for!

If you win:
  • You take the reins of ontdgames and its supporting media channels (twitter, YouTube, etc.)
  • Choose a current-generation video game console of your choice, handheld or home system, to call your own.
  • One free video game a month for one year.
  • A brand new community theme style drafted by our design team with your guidance.
You’ll also have access to the LiveJournal editorial team for PR, marketing, social media support and other goodies.

When: Monday, December 12, 2011 until we find the right person.

Check out LJ_Contests for the particulars.

Spreading the holiday cheer, vGift style!

Close out the year by sharing something wintery and sweet with your friends on LJ. If you have a Paid or Permanent account, you can send six Snowman Cookies now until Monday, December 19th, at midnight, PDT! You'll see both the free and the $0.99 vGifts displayed until you've sent them to your friends. If you're not receiving vGifts then you may have disabled them. To enable vGifts, visit Edit profile (under Profile), scroll down to the bottom of the page, and check your settings. Make sure the box beside 'Disable sponsored only' is NOT checked! Enjoy!

For news about LJ_Scribe and LJ_Photophile and recent contest winners, we'll see you under the cut!

Photo of the week

Congrats to julz_t, winner of our 93rd lj_photophile contest!

FYI: We pick entries for the poll based on a combination of comments, +1 ratings, and staff input. The winner receives 500 LJ tokens. We thank you for sharing your talent with the global LiveJournal community.

Welcome back, dear scribes!

Congratulations to gringo_in_tj, trappified, and twhitesakura, who won prompt #42 of our lj_scribe writing contest! We've selected 4 finalists in response to our 43rd prompt theme for your review.

Thanks for stopping by! Happy Holidays!
Tags: comment changes, free vgift for paid users, mashable 2011, ontd games, release 88

creativecstasy

December 15 2011, 01:54:38 UTC 2 years ago

first?

glowing_dragon

December 15 2011, 01:58:26 UTC 2 years ago

Seems that way. I'm surprised I made it onto the first page!

lafinjack

2 years ago

glowing_dragon

December 15 2011, 01:56:03 UTC 2 years ago

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

vodkabeforenoon

December 15 2011, 01:56:22 UTC 2 years ago

This is amazing that I got a news notification the same day it came out. Is LJ working?

franky

December 15 2011, 07:10:29 UTC 2 years ago

overtime!

vodkabeforenoon

2 years ago

franky

2 years ago

vodkabeforenoon

2 years ago

franky

2 years ago

vodkabeforenoon

2 years ago

brotherskeeper1

2 years ago

vodkabeforenoon

2 years ago

seshats_prodigy

December 15 2011, 01:56:33 UTC 2 years ago

Another release? -_-;

I wonder how long things will be slow/messed up after this latest one...

Sorry, LJ, but a lot of the things that are supposed to be 'improvements' just...aren't. Why do you have to mess with the layouts/buttons/etc all the time?

caeseria

December 15 2011, 02:25:57 UTC 2 years ago

It's clearly time to unpack Barry the Chopper and send in Aya! *snorts*

kendonobara

2 years ago

caeseria

2 years ago

seshats_prodigy

2 years ago

caeseria

2 years ago

seshats_prodigy

2 years ago

featherfire

2 years ago

caeseria

2 years ago

seshats_prodigy

2 years ago

havocmangawip

2 years ago

imeltwthyou

2 years ago

seshats_prodigy

2 years ago

derry_earnshaw

2 years ago

glowing_dragon

December 15 2011, 01:57:53 UTC 2 years ago

Oh, and it's "sneak PEEK."

mike

December 15 2011, 02:03:58 UTC 2 years ago

Lol, yes. I'm sorry Baby Jesus.

glowing_dragon

2 years ago

glowing_dragon

2 years ago

mike

2 years ago

glowing_dragon

2 years ago

paying user on a sock journal

atroppa

December 15 2011, 01:58:04 UTC 2 years ago

What I want to know is the status of whether to keep subject lines in comments. There has been tremendous backlash against the idea of disabling comment subject lines from fandom and RP. Please do not withhold information from your users, paying or not.

Re: paying user on a sock journal

slightlymore

December 15 2011, 02:00:01 UTC 2 years ago

I'd heard something about that. Let us know, LJ

iam_thebadwolf

2 years ago

ryuuseicomplex

December 15 2011, 01:58:14 UTC 2 years ago

Can we get a work on purging suspended and inactive usernames? If I remember right that was supposed to be done last year and I still see no sign of anything happening there...

plznospoilers

December 15 2011, 04:50:54 UTC 2 years ago

THANK YOU. I recently sent a help question about this and was given a vague answer of "well we might do that sometime". LJ, I want to give you money to give me a name no one has ever updated since the year 2000 (provided you keep your subject lines.) Please consider this request!

00goddess

2 years ago

plznospoilers

2 years ago

franky

2 years ago

00goddess

2 years ago

gonzo21

2 years ago

mosinging1986

December 15 2011, 01:59:01 UTC 2 years ago

Instead of "fixing" features that aren't broken, how about some word about this year's numerous problems/down time, and what's being done to prevent it from happening in the future?

dark_puck

December 15 2011, 02:08:22 UTC 2 years ago

If you're talking about all of the DDOS attacks, they HAVE been handling that one right.

Unfortunately, it's the single thing they HAVE been handling right.

elusis

2 years ago

lafinjack

2 years ago

rebelsheart

2 years ago

lafinjack

2 years ago

rebelsheart

2 years ago

lafinjack

2 years ago

rebelsheart

2 years ago

lafinjack

2 years ago

rebelsheart

2 years ago

lafinjack

2 years ago

alyse

2 years ago

lizzie

2 years ago

raynedanser

2 years ago

fencer_x

December 15 2011, 01:59:15 UTC 2 years ago

First off, that pic is beautiful.

But...instead of letting us know what the changes are before implementing them and hearing us complain about them inevitably being ill-conceived or not working, you're letting us know before that changes are coming.

I suppose that's a step up at least from letting us know after the fact. Keep trying, LJ. Baby steps and all that.

elionwyr

December 21 2011, 16:42:01 UTC 2 years ago

I've been asking, "Hey, why not tell your users before you do things?" question for...I forget how many years.

Having been a paying user for most of my 10 years on LJ, I keep hoping that the request of Them What Pays might matter. Nope.

nobel_berserker

December 15 2011, 01:59:51 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  December 15 2011, 02:06:55 UTC

Seconding the request of the above poster. I also want to know if subject lines will still exist under the new release.

For the record, getting more of my money will require a "yes."

ceilidh

December 15 2011, 02:00:41 UTC 2 years ago

That comment page redesign wouldn't happen to be this monstrosity would it? Because if it is, no thanks.

fencer_x

December 15 2011, 02:02:45 UTC 2 years ago

holy mother of.

rosiedoes

2 years ago

ceilidh

2 years ago

rosiedoes

2 years ago

wldcatsprstr_14

2 years ago

Subject lines.

twentyinten

December 15 2011, 02:00:42 UTC 2 years ago

No one wants these comment changes. No one.

Listen to your users.

Listen to the people who give you money.

Don't do it.

Re: Subject lines.

brotherskeeper1

December 15 2011, 04:23:32 UTC 2 years ago

LJ didn't listen to users when people didn't want the crossposting to FB and Twitter. Complaints upon complaints got us nowhere.

LJ's attitude is something like this cartoon:

geeklovepoetry

December 15 2011, 02:01:03 UTC 2 years ago

Neat. I hope we get information about the comment page changes soon, though. :( I'm often on very, very slow internet (dialup and tethering), and I had a sock journal opt in to the new comment pages by joining the russian beta community. I couldn't get it or my icons to load at all.

Deleted comment

brotherskeeper1

2 years ago

+9000

havemyfightclub

2 years ago

timewreck

December 15 2011, 02:01:18 UTC 2 years ago

Can we stop redesigning and adding new things and make sure to fix the old things that are currently broken? Because as far as I've seen of the new comment page design, it is absolutely hideous and the notion of getting rid of subject lines is ridiculous since people actually DO use them.

By the way, is that new hideous design even useful for lov-vision and/or blind users? You know, some people use screenreaders to access LJ and from what it looks like, I assume it's not.

rosiedoes

December 15 2011, 02:07:45 UTC 2 years ago

Woah, woah, woah - what kind of idiot would think we should get rid of subject headers? Oh, hang on... we're on LJ, aren't we? The staff here has no actual concept of how people use their product...

timewreck

2 years ago

rosiedoes

2 years ago

timewreck

2 years ago

rosiedoes

2 years ago

yvonnegos

2 years ago

czol

2 years ago

ceilidh

2 years ago

rosiedoes

2 years ago

awry

2 years ago

timewreck

2 years ago

kokoryta

December 15 2011, 02:03:00 UTC 2 years ago

What everyone else said- I'd rather that my comment pages work instead of contests or banners that charge every month. :/ If I knew LJ would go downhill like this, I would have never paid for a permanent account.

theidolhands

December 15 2011, 02:35:47 UTC 2 years ago

What everyone else said- I'd rather that my comment pages work instead of contests or banners that charge every month. x2

uitlander

2 years ago

automaticdoor

2 years ago

shutter

December 15 2011, 02:03:26 UTC 2 years ago

new comment page changes? ugh.

please keep subject lines.

kingpsyborg

December 15 2011, 02:03:47 UTC 2 years ago

the comment pages aren't broken, stop trying to fix them. fix shit that's actually broken, please, leave comments and subject lines alone. :(

lucce

December 16 2011, 14:36:19 UTC 2 years ago

Exactly this.

mwffj

December 15 2011, 02:04:11 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  December 15 2011, 02:06:48 UTC

Comment pages have been redesigned! More information about specific changes will be announced in the next few days.

truffle

December 15 2011, 02:26:18 UTC 2 years ago

Not quite the same words, but my thoughts exactly.

ashoakandthorn

December 15 2011, 02:04:36 UTC 2 years ago

I'm assuming we'll be given the list of changes before the 20th, right?

Adding...

ashoakandthorn

December 15 2011, 02:06:57 UTC 2 years ago

But okay, I guess I'm okay with the RTE changes.

lafinjack

2 years ago

slightlymore

December 15 2011, 02:04:43 UTC 2 years ago

No holiday specials this year?

phantomplanet

December 15 2011, 06:41:13 UTC 2 years ago

This is what I was wondering about. I was waiting to get a paid thinking there would be a special and now there's just 6 free stupid cookie vgifts.

citymusings

2 years ago

phantomplanet

2 years ago

citymusings

2 years ago

phantomplanet

2 years ago

theidolhands

2 years ago

fanfare

2 years ago

inksmears

December 15 2011, 02:04:48 UTC 2 years ago

I'm honestly expressing my dislike to the new comment changes... :(

I know our complaints fall on deaf ears though but I figure maybe it's worth mentioning it anyway. Sigh. You don't get my money anymore for these reasons, LJ.

rosiedoes

December 15 2011, 02:05:39 UTC 2 years ago

Can you fix the issue where anything bolded or italicised in Rich Text Editor is also highlighted with white backgrounds, please? It's really annoying to have to ask people to fix it on a busy community (we have rules in place about text being set to defaults, because of previous complaints), especially as people using the RTE don't often have swift HTML skills.

alfendi

December 15 2011, 02:05:46 UTC 2 years ago

new comment pages could be neat if you could have the ability to block specific users' comments from showing up

guitarscreams

December 15 2011, 02:12:18 UTC 2 years ago

I agree!

ffutures

2 years ago

alfendi

2 years ago

vikingprincess

2 years ago

alfendi

2 years ago

vikingprincess

2 years ago

alfendi

2 years ago

lunachickk

December 15 2011, 02:06:00 UTC 2 years ago

The only holiday promotion I see here are 6 free v-gifts?

So, did you completely do away with free userpics with paid subscriptions as gifts to others for the holidays? Because I really, really miss this. :(

___teckie

December 15 2011, 02:35:45 UTC 2 years ago

+1. I would like to know this as well.

slightlymore

2 years ago

citymusings

2 years ago

puchuupoet

2 years ago

vovney

December 15 2011, 02:06:40 UTC 2 years ago

it's awesom! thnx!!!