Release 88, Paid time extension

December 21st, 2011 - Happy December Holidays and welcome to the official LiveJournal newsletter! Bringing you system updates, community events, and other newsworthy nuggets from the world of LiveJournal. Here's a look at what's news on and around LJ:

Release 88

Our final site update of the year, Release 88, is live. Here's a look at a the most notable changes around LiveJournal following Release 88:
  • Comment pages have been redesigned. Share your thoughts on the new comments page design here. As with any new feature, something unexpected may pop up. Please contact support with any bugs you encounter while using the new comment page layout.

    Rest assured, we are paying close attention to all of your feedback. Problems with actual functionality (inability to use the new form or aspects of it, slow load times, crashes, etc) have been reported and are being worked on. We're also aggregating all your feedback about the presentation and usability of the commenting form in the general sense, including items missing from the previous version, and the appropriate project teams are reviewing this feedback to help guide what further changes will be made. Thank you for your patience as we continue to work on the new commenting system.
  • The LiveJournal homepage has been updated to include the LiveJournal Today feature, where you can find some of the recent entries on the site highlighted by our Editorial team.
  • The Update page and Edit entry pages have been changed. Most notably, the font in the HTML editor has changed, how lj-cuts appear in the Rich Text Editor (RTE) has been updated, and a few buttons/menu items are in different locations than they previously were.
Full details regarding Release 88 can be found here at lj_releases.

Paid compensation for site downtime

LiveJournal was the target of DDoS attacks a couple weeks ago that resulted in some downtime and other accessibility issues. In order to show our appreciation for your loyalty and support during our recent DDoS attacks, we're applying two weeks of free paid time to all accounts that were paid during the recent site downtime. You will receive a notification email when the time has been applied. You can view your account's new expiration date by visiting your Account Settings page while logged in.

Thanks for stopping by! Happy Holidays!
Tags: paid time extension, release 88

Inbeforethewankstorm

moob

3 years ago

daisychain_halo

3 years ago

lafinjack

3 years ago

daisychain_halo

3 years ago

affliction

3 years ago

moob

3 years ago

doitninetimes

3 years ago

Just fiiiiiix it.
Usually there is a principle in Information Systems: If it works -- do not touch it. Simple, yeah? But not for everybody. :(

seestheending

3 years ago

loganberrybunny

3 years ago

seestheending

3 years ago

kostigoff

3 years ago

kostigoff

3 years ago

stuntpilot99

3 years ago

kostigoff

3 years ago

stuntpilot99

3 years ago

kostigoff

3 years ago

claudine

3 years ago

branworld

3 years ago

kostigoff

3 years ago

branworld

3 years ago

kostigoff

3 years ago

tinyrevolution

3 years ago

branworld

3 years ago

gingerspeedster

3 years ago

gingerspeedster

3 years ago

punched_reality

3 years ago

gingerspeedster

3 years ago

thaal_sinestro

3 years ago

onepunchguy

3 years ago

heyitsgonzo

3 years ago

okay

December 22 2011, 02:41:04 UTC 3 years ago Edited:  December 22 2011, 02:41:34 UTC

I'M MAD

and so are my pokemon
also since I'm a permanent user how about you give me extra userpic time instead?

ALSO

okay

3 years ago

Oh and

okay

3 years ago

cazzasaurus

3 years ago

oxfordtweed

3 years ago

amiyuy

3 years ago

a_mistletoe

3 years ago

NEW COMMENT PAGES SUCK BAWLZ.

dishapeaches

3 years ago

iamshunpike

3 years ago

brotherskeeper1

3 years ago

No, see, if you were actually paying attention to your users, you would never have implemented the changes in the first place.
I bet they believe that if they say it enough, it might become real! A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE... that is full of shit.

anne_jumps

3 years ago

Or just revert to the previous version. We'll all agree that this whole incident never happened.
"never happened" would need another week's paid time, of course.

citymusings

3 years ago

silmaril

3 years ago

Sure. You're considering our feedback. Just like you considered it BEFORE you did all this stuff.
yeah, last i saw there was over 105 PAGES of comments and 99% were 'SUBJECT LINES BACK PLEASE' + how the icon selector sucked....

and they have to CONSIDER our feedback????

our overlords are also planning on redesigning the whole site---how about you tell us about that NOW LJ??? russians have a sneak preview.....it was linked to another journal here.....

citymusings

3 years ago

prokhozhyj

3 years ago

citymusings

3 years ago

misstia

3 years ago

citymusings

3 years ago

misstia

3 years ago

citymusings

3 years ago

harpsi_fizz

3 years ago

citymusings

3 years ago

fever

3 years ago

Would it be possible to de-apply changes? It is nightmare. Thanks.
I am very upset that the subject titles for comments have been removed. It has made several interactive posts on my journal completely unusable. We relied on that feature.
yeah, my community relied on that feature....apparently you have to magically know what kind of style/theme to use to retain the feature---but why should we have to change our journal styles to get that??? it's available still with some journal styles...but who knows for how long.....

emarkienna

3 years ago

flag

December 22 2011, 02:42:34 UTC 3 years ago Edited:  December 22 2011, 02:48:32 UTC

Is it possible to withdraw from the two weeks paid time offer? The last time I claimed paid time compensation for my automatic payments, it very much ensured that I didn't get the loyalty userpic that came with a 12 month renewal because the payment only renewed me for 11 months. If it's going to screw me out of another icon space when it renews next October, I don't want it.

This is, of course, in the event that I don't decide to turn off automatic payment because of this horrid redesign.

josieb1

December 22 2011, 02:53:32 UTC 3 years ago Edited:  December 22 2011, 03:00:13 UTC

I've already turned off my automatic payments, I found that it ignored adjusted downtime given anyway. IF I decide to renew I will turn it back on about a week before the NEW renew date. but that depends on the comment page redesign changes

flag

3 years ago

josieb1

3 years ago

nochick_fics

3 years ago

And the backpedalling begins!

Because it bears repesting: GIVE US BACK OUR DAMN SUBJECT LINES. YOU HAVE ALMOST IRREVOCABLY DESTROYED MULTIPLE COMMUNITIES BY TAKING THAT AWAY!

Also a public apology by igrick for his asinine and insulting comments would be a good idea too.
What did he say? I went to have a look but can't read Russian type :/

taradiane

3 years ago

masu_trout

3 years ago

wldcatsprstr_14

3 years ago

conuly

3 years ago

prokhozhyj

3 years ago

harpsi_fizz

3 years ago

mosinging1986

3 years ago

elektra_alpha

3 years ago

amine_eyes

3 years ago

The new look is clunky.

Thanks for listening to what your users want, LJ. Not.

Apparently, you know what we want more than we do, and are going to force your changes down our collective throats. Guess so long as you've got our money, it's all good, right?

What a disappointment.

Also? The way we choose our icons is HORRIBLE! Can we default back to the old way? This totally blows.
Agreed on the icons. Don't mind the image version (though imagine it's rough on slow connections or phones) but I miss having them sorted by keyword, because I'm careful to use those to make finding what I want (generally based on mood) easy.

Miss comment subject lines. Also miss linking to comments.

Can't find the edit comment button, though it looks like others have edited since the changes were implemented so I guess it's possible. It'd be nice if it wasn't so hard to find, though...or am I just dense?

slytherinblack

3 years ago

ariaflame

3 years ago

classics_lover

3 years ago

seshats_prodigy

3 years ago

slytherinblack

3 years ago

seshats_prodigy

3 years ago

slytherinblack

3 years ago

seshats_prodigy

3 years ago

slytherinblack

3 years ago

seshats_prodigy

3 years ago

Thank you for the free time. :) I'll comment on the other page about an issue I had with the new comments page tomorrow.

Deleted comment

moob

3 years ago

Deleted comment

Deleted comment

oblika_farika

3 years ago

affliction

3 years ago

oblika_farika

3 years ago

affliction

3 years ago

The lack of subject lines sucks as you've already been told a ton of times but I'm also really missing being able to preview my comments.

If you're really paying attention surely you've seen how much people are utterly loathing the changes?
they had to have seen that people were saying NO before the changes were implemented!!! they just plug their ears and say "NOT LISTENING"!!!

percysowner

3 years ago

Thanks for the paid time extension! :D
My larger concern is that you seem to be heading in the direction to move the whole site to a new 'edgier' and more 'functional' design which removes functionality and creates work for your users (we, who are paying for it). So even if you do fix it this one time and slip a band-aid on it, what's to guarantee that you actually learned your lesson? LiveJournal was great because of how the usability made it easy for its users.

Now, there's no reason to stay unless it comes back.
they have more changes in store!!! here!!

LJ WAS great because it's not like other sites....i think they are trying to be like other sites....

hey everyone, dreamwidth is free to join w/o an invite code through the end of the year and it's ad free!!! (remember when LJ claimed they would always be ad free??)

godlizza

3 years ago

slightlymore

3 years ago

Deleted comment

spicedrum

3 years ago

I can get used to most of this. But userpic selection should be organized alphabetically by keyword like they used to be instead of by upload date. Kind of defeats the purpose of using keywords for them. And it's obnoxious to have to hunt for them. =/
I agree. I hate having to hunt them down for the one I want which is always at the bottom. DO NOT WANT!!!!! Put it back alphabetically.

kittyknighton

3 years ago

cifan70

3 years ago

reynardine

3 years ago

momentsplinter

3 years ago

eska_rina

3 years ago

lafinjack

3 years ago

slightlymore

3 years ago

lafinjack

3 years ago

derrobitch

3 years ago

taradiane

3 years ago

fuckinghubble

3 years ago

For this post to go up 15 minutes before the American Horror Story season finale, it's just cruel.
Amen.

cyranocyrano

3 years ago

parisdiorchanel

3 years ago

Why can't you just roll it back to the old version since it just plain doesn't work for so many of your users? Or are we supposed to just sit around and twiddle our thumbs until you get around to changing nothing?
No, haven't you heard, we're supposed to just "get used to it." *Bangs head on wall and deleted auto payment!*
My account expires very soon. Two more weeks would, I guess, mean two more weeks to see if you actually do what the users want. And the users want comment subject lines, to name one thing. LJ becomes a useless mess without comment subject lines as far as I and many others are concerned, so why pay?
Because it bears repeating: Nothing was wrong with the previous comment page. Please change it back.

Or if not that, at least give us back the subject lines and fix the bug you seem to have where the "post comment" button is grayed out.
well igrick decreed we should not have subject lines!!! and whatever he says goes!!! what next? he'll say no notifications???

oh, LJ has other changes in store too!! they're going to change the whole site!! here

roximonoxide

3 years ago

strassenhund

3 years ago

misstia

3 years ago

harpsi_fizz

3 years ago

misstia

3 years ago

harpsi_fizz

3 years ago

mimiheart

3 years ago

cazzasaurus

3 years ago

You guys suck at this listening to your customers thing.
Yeah, it'd be funny by now if it wasn't just sad. Everyone I know has left LJ so I barely even care that they do this shit anymore.

rainbooming

3 years ago

partyofwin

3 years ago