Release 88, Paid time extension

December 21st, 2011 - Happy December Holidays and welcome to the official LiveJournal newsletter! Bringing you system updates, community events, and other newsworthy nuggets from the world of LiveJournal. Here's a look at what's news on and around LJ:

Release 88

Our final site update of the year, Release 88, is live. Here's a look at a the most notable changes around LiveJournal following Release 88:
  • Comment pages have been redesigned. Share your thoughts on the new comments page design here. As with any new feature, something unexpected may pop up. Please contact support with any bugs you encounter while using the new comment page layout.

    Rest assured, we are paying close attention to all of your feedback. Problems with actual functionality (inability to use the new form or aspects of it, slow load times, crashes, etc) have been reported and are being worked on. We're also aggregating all your feedback about the presentation and usability of the commenting form in the general sense, including items missing from the previous version, and the appropriate project teams are reviewing this feedback to help guide what further changes will be made. Thank you for your patience as we continue to work on the new commenting system.
  • The LiveJournal homepage has been updated to include the LiveJournal Today feature, where you can find some of the recent entries on the site highlighted by our Editorial team.
  • The Update page and Edit entry pages have been changed. Most notably, the font in the HTML editor has changed, how lj-cuts appear in the Rich Text Editor (RTE) has been updated, and a few buttons/menu items are in different locations than they previously were.
Full details regarding Release 88 can be found here at lj_releases.

Paid compensation for site downtime

LiveJournal was the target of DDoS attacks a couple weeks ago that resulted in some downtime and other accessibility issues. In order to show our appreciation for your loyalty and support during our recent DDoS attacks, we're applying two weeks of free paid time to all accounts that were paid during the recent site downtime. You will receive a notification email when the time has been applied. You can view your account's new expiration date by visiting your Account Settings page while logged in.

Thanks for stopping by! Happy Holidays!
Tags: paid time extension, release 88

Deleted comment

Deleted comment

daisychain_halo

6 years ago

lafinjack

6 years ago

daisychain_halo

6 years ago

affliction

6 years ago

Deleted comment

doitninetimes

6 years ago

Just fiiiiiix it.
Usually there is a principle in Information Systems: If it works -- do not touch it. Simple, yeah? But not for everybody. :(

seestheending

6 years ago

loganberrybunny

6 years ago

seestheending

6 years ago

kostigoff

6 years ago

kostigoff

6 years ago

Deleted comment

kostigoff

6 years ago

Deleted comment

kostigoff

6 years ago

claudine

6 years ago

branworld

6 years ago

kostigoff

6 years ago

branworld

6 years ago

kostigoff

6 years ago

tinyrevolution

6 years ago

branworld

6 years ago

gingerspeedster

6 years ago

gingerspeedster

6 years ago

punched_reality

6 years ago

gingerspeedster

6 years ago

thaal_sinestro

6 years ago

onepunchguy

6 years ago

heyitsgonzo

6 years ago

kingofrooks

6 years ago

okay

December 22 2011, 02:41:04 UTC 6 years ago Edited:  December 22 2011, 02:41:34 UTC

I'M MAD

and so are my pokemon
also since I'm a permanent user how about you give me extra userpic time instead?

ALSO

okay

6 years ago

Oh and

okay

6 years ago

cazzasaurus

6 years ago

oxfordtweed

6 years ago

amiyuy

6 years ago

a_mistletoe

6 years ago

NEW COMMENT PAGES SUCK BAWLZ.

dishapeaches

6 years ago

iamshunpike

6 years ago

brotherskeeper1

6 years ago

No, see, if you were actually paying attention to your users, you would never have implemented the changes in the first place.

Deleted comment

anne_jumps

6 years ago

Or just revert to the previous version. We'll all agree that this whole incident never happened.
"never happened" would need another week's paid time, of course.

citymusings

6 years ago

silmaril

6 years ago

Sure. You're considering our feedback. Just like you considered it BEFORE you did all this stuff.
yeah, last i saw there was over 105 PAGES of comments and 99% were 'SUBJECT LINES BACK PLEASE' + how the icon selector sucked....

and they have to CONSIDER our feedback????

our overlords are also planning on redesigning the whole site---how about you tell us about that NOW LJ??? russians have a sneak preview.....it was linked to another journal here.....

citymusings

6 years ago

prokhozhyj

6 years ago

citymusings

6 years ago

misstia

6 years ago

citymusings

6 years ago

misstia

6 years ago

citymusings

6 years ago

harpsi_fizz

6 years ago

citymusings

6 years ago

fever

6 years ago

Would it be possible to de-apply changes? It is nightmare. Thanks.
I am very upset that the subject titles for comments have been removed. It has made several interactive posts on my journal completely unusable. We relied on that feature.
yeah, my community relied on that feature....apparently you have to magically know what kind of style/theme to use to retain the feature---but why should we have to change our journal styles to get that??? it's available still with some journal styles...but who knows for how long.....

emarkienna

6 years ago

flag

December 22 2011, 02:42:34 UTC 6 years ago Edited:  December 22 2011, 02:48:32 UTC

Is it possible to withdraw from the two weeks paid time offer? The last time I claimed paid time compensation for my automatic payments, it very much ensured that I didn't get the loyalty userpic that came with a 12 month renewal because the payment only renewed me for 11 months. If it's going to screw me out of another icon space when it renews next October, I don't want it.

This is, of course, in the event that I don't decide to turn off automatic payment because of this horrid redesign.

Deleted comment

flag

6 years ago

Deleted comment

nochick_fics

6 years ago

Deleted comment

What did he say? I went to have a look but can't read Russian type :/

taradiane

6 years ago

masu_trout

6 years ago

wldcatsprstr_14

6 years ago

conuly

6 years ago

prokhozhyj

6 years ago

harpsi_fizz

6 years ago

mosinging1986

6 years ago

elektra_alpha

6 years ago

amine_eyes

6 years ago

The new look is clunky.

Thanks for listening to what your users want, LJ. Not.

Apparently, you know what we want more than we do, and are going to force your changes down our collective throats. Guess so long as you've got our money, it's all good, right?

What a disappointment.

Also? The way we choose our icons is HORRIBLE! Can we default back to the old way? This totally blows.
Agreed on the icons. Don't mind the image version (though imagine it's rough on slow connections or phones) but I miss having them sorted by keyword, because I'm careful to use those to make finding what I want (generally based on mood) easy.

Miss comment subject lines. Also miss linking to comments.

Can't find the edit comment button, though it looks like others have edited since the changes were implemented so I guess it's possible. It'd be nice if it wasn't so hard to find, though...or am I just dense?

slytherinblack

6 years ago

ariaflame

6 years ago

classics_lover

6 years ago

seshats_prodigy

6 years ago

slytherinblack

6 years ago

seshats_prodigy

6 years ago

slytherinblack

6 years ago

seshats_prodigy

6 years ago

slytherinblack

6 years ago

seshats_prodigy

6 years ago

Thank you for the free time. :) I'll comment on the other page about an issue I had with the new comments page tomorrow.

Deleted comment

Deleted comment

Deleted comment

Deleted comment