theljstaff (theljstaff) wrote in news,

Notes on our new comment system

  Thanks to all of you for providing your feedback and voicing your concerns about LiveJournal's new comment system. Please understand that we are taking your feedback seriously, and will continue to evaluate this new feature. In the meantime, we'd like to explain the reasons behind the change and the greater impact this has for LiveJournal.

  First of all, our new S1 comment system was completely rewritten from scratch.  The comment system has never been updated on this scale before. In the past, code was being piled upon old code, which turned out to be messy and unstable.  A complete rewrite means an updated, cleaner and faster system - which is a good thing for everyone. The default comments pages are the first step in an update to our overall site design, which is meant to improve performance and user experience.  The addition of Ajax features is a major part of this update and has many benefits for users:

  • Pages no longer need to refresh after adding comments, which helps reduce load times
  • Keyboard shortcuts to ease navigation (Ctrl + enter for a new comment, Alt + left arrow/right arrow moves between pages, Ctrl + Alt + '+ / -' expands or collapses all comments on a page)
  • Buttons for editing, tracking, adding to memories, etc.  are now accessed by hovering over a comment, removing general clutter
  • New comments on pages are marked as such
  • There's a new, more visual icon selection tool

  In addition to all of these technical improvements, there are no longer advertising banners on default comment pages.

  The following issues are a known priority as we work through the kinks of our brand new comment system:

  • General performance issues with certain browsers
  • Improvements for mobile devices, including user pic selection
  • Post subjects added to email notifications
  • Restoring visibility of notes in comments
  • Restoring 'parent' links
  • Adding some additional RTE features to comments
  • Adding spell check
  We do not have a specific time frame right now, but we will keep you informed as these are ready. As always, if you have issues with the site or notice any bugs, please contact support.  We continue to thank you for your patience and wish everyone a safe and happy holiday!

- The LiveJournal Team

Tags: comment changes, release 88

okay

December 23 2011, 23:38:20 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  December 23 2011, 23:38:45 UTC

first off
pokemon

/reads

also, your copy/pasting is showing, LJ...

okay

December 23 2011, 23:43:13 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  December 23 2011, 23:53:28 UTC

"In the past, code was being piled upon old code, which turned out to be messy and unstable."

but it worked for everyone......

"which is meant to improve performance and user experience."

But it hasn't whatsoever

-Pages no longer need to refresh after adding comments, which helps reduce load times
Except it still does. Not only that, but I still have the problem of being redirected to the first page every time. I've sent support numerous messages about it and I still haven't heard back. Not even a "thank you we redirected your shit somewhere else"

-There's a new, more visual icon selection tool
That doesn't work for most of your userbase

Seriously, everyone was quite happy with your old form. Yeah, messy, but like I said it worked for everybody. Also, subject titles. Why won't you bring them back?

othellia

2 years ago

okay

2 years ago

aristobrit

2 years ago

slayedaking

2 years ago

hoodoo

2 years ago

dark_persian

2 years ago

okay

2 years ago

dark_persian

2 years ago

okay

2 years ago

dark_persian

2 years ago

sappy_vcv

2 years ago

life_inshadow

2 years ago

whatifoundthere

2 years ago

lafinjack

2 years ago

surrey_sucks

2 years ago

lafinjack

2 years ago

surrey_sucks

2 years ago

lafinjack

2 years ago

surrey_sucks

2 years ago

lafinjack

2 years ago

harpsi_fizz

2 years ago

surrey_sucks

2 years ago

harpsi_fizz

2 years ago

surrey_sucks

2 years ago

jedi_diplomat

2 years ago

gringotts

2 years ago

jedi_diplomat

2 years ago

gringotts

2 years ago

jedi_diplomat

2 years ago

gringotts

2 years ago

jedi_diplomat

2 years ago

okay

2 years ago

pmax3

2 years ago

cherokee_kid

2 years ago

pretty_panther

2 years ago

okay

2 years ago

moob

December 23 2011, 23:39:39 UTC 2 years ago

beartalon

December 25 2011, 14:00:57 UTC 2 years ago

What does this mean in the context of this news post?

nikoshinigami

December 23 2011, 23:40:06 UTC 2 years ago

Roll it back.

slayedaking

December 24 2011, 04:55:28 UTC 2 years ago

lol perfect icon.

ecctv

December 23 2011, 23:40:10 UTC 2 years ago

Hopefully people can say what they don't like about the comments or whatever in a calm way, rather than threatening, yelling, or being over dramatic.
At the end of the day, it is a website and there are bigger problems to go HAM about.

ecctv

December 23 2011, 23:41:06 UTC 2 years ago

I hate ending a sentence with a preposition, but I did it there. Please forgive me at.

conuly

2 years ago

tisoi

2 years ago

whatifoundthere

2 years ago

conuly

2 years ago

lafinjack

2 years ago

moob

2 years ago

shangri__la

December 23 2011, 23:40:52 UTC 2 years ago

celtic_thistle

December 23 2011, 23:58:10 UTC 2 years ago

mte

reverie_shadow

2 years ago

reverie_shadow

2 years ago

claws

December 23 2011, 23:41:05 UTC 2 years ago

don't care. get rid of all the white space and make the font smaller again so i can stop getting headaches viewing comment pages.

ecctv

December 23 2011, 23:41:46 UTC 2 years ago

Or you could change your monitor's brightness, adjust the lighting in the room, or take an aspirin.

claws

2 years ago

ecctv

2 years ago

rosiedoes

2 years ago

beyondthecowl

2 years ago

subluxate

2 years ago

mereprototype

2 years ago

subluxate

2 years ago

mereprototype

2 years ago

subluxate

2 years ago

mereprototype

2 years ago

subluxate

2 years ago

fierybluebird

2 years ago

kirsteena

2 years ago

mereprototype

2 years ago

oblika_farika

2 years ago

letsgoferal

2 years ago

claws

2 years ago

letsgoferal

2 years ago

claws

2 years ago

smellyleaf

1 year ago

okay

2 years ago

ecctv

2 years ago

okay

2 years ago

ecctv

2 years ago

claws

2 years ago

mokie

2 years ago

undeadbydawn

2 years ago

hooves

2 years ago

claws

2 years ago

claws

2 years ago

cofmanynames

2 years ago

tephralynn

2 years ago

cofmanynames

2 years ago

tephralynn

2 years ago

dorsetgirl

2 years ago

tephralynn

2 years ago

raviolikenshin

2 years ago

tephralynn

2 years ago

raviolikenshin

2 years ago

tephralynn

2 years ago

pashenko_ecolog

2 years ago

hooves

2 years ago

claws

2 years ago

hooves

2 years ago

claws

2 years ago

zoi_no_miko

2 years ago

tamerterra

2 years ago

tamerterra

2 years ago

zoi_no_miko

2 years ago

pointytilly

2 years ago

ex_nuitsong

2 years ago

slayedaking

2 years ago

spicytoys

December 23 2011, 23:41:19 UTC 2 years ago

I like the changes so far! It was kinda weird at first, but now it's nice.

thoughts_1990

December 24 2011, 01:14:14 UTC 2 years ago

I agree 100%. It was hard to get use to, but it's kind of refreshing.

claws

2 years ago

enkanowen

2 years ago

foxface

2 years ago

claws

2 years ago

claws

2 years ago

claws

2 years ago

foxface

2 years ago

claws

2 years ago

foxface

2 years ago

cherokee_kid

2 years ago

youngwilliam

2 years ago

pretty_panther

December 23 2011, 23:41:22 UTC 2 years ago

your backpedaling is amusing but it doesn't change the fact that many of my flist have already jumped ship. you're meant to tell us these things before you do them, not after.

ailurus

December 23 2011, 23:50:06 UTC 2 years ago

your icon is rather adorable /useless comment.

lafinjack

2 years ago

impure_tale

2 years ago

shadowravyn

2 years ago

archangelbeth

2 years ago

caterfree10

2 years ago

pretty_panther

2 years ago

lafinjack

2 years ago

lovedforaday

2 years ago

lafinjack

2 years ago

1158

2 years ago

pretty_panther

2 years ago

1158

2 years ago

crucified

December 23 2011, 23:41:28 UTC 2 years ago

I can tolerate the new comment pages now but DNW a new site design AT ALL.

ailurus

December 23 2011, 23:44:08 UTC 2 years ago

oh god, so much this. especially when the proposed redesign is so abysmally ugly.

crucified

2 years ago

renne

2 years ago

ailurus

2 years ago

renne

2 years ago

automaticdoor

2 years ago

neo_valkyrie

2 years ago

bluesman

2 years ago

pashenko_ecolog

2 years ago

crowdog66

December 23 2011, 23:41:42 UTC 2 years ago

The new visual icon selection tool takes too much time to load and is frustrating to use.

Also, I don't see anything here addressing the clearly expressed user concern with the lack of subject lines in comments, which is essential to the functionality of certain communities. Do you really want those communities to migrate to Dreamwidth because Dreamwidth actually does what they need it to do, and you do not?

kittyknighton

December 24 2011, 00:04:43 UTC 2 years ago

This. People have been asking about this repeatedly and it just doesn't get addressed. Like if they ignore the issue it will stop existing. Not cool, LJ.

brenden

2 years ago

historychick49

2 years ago

psyd_seward

2 years ago

brenden

2 years ago

ceitean

2 years ago

evilgmbethy

2 years ago

low_delta

2 years ago

master_helsing

2 years ago

brenden

2 years ago

aviv_b

2 years ago

brenden

2 years ago

aviv_b

2 years ago

brenden

2 years ago

ginger_maya

2 years ago

piratesswoop

2 years ago

master_helsing

2 years ago

brenden

2 years ago

master_helsing

2 years ago

madra_liath

2 years ago

a_way_of_sin

December 23 2011, 23:41:52 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  December 23 2011, 23:48:06 UTC

and not a peep about subject lines

of course

celtic_thistle

December 23 2011, 23:59:24 UTC 2 years ago

Oh god you're right, they're gone. D:

savetomorrow

2 years ago

casey_sms

2 years ago

savetomorrow

2 years ago

ailurus

December 23 2011, 23:42:10 UTC 2 years ago

Perhaps you should've done more beta testing before rolling out the new system to avoid these ~issues~.

daluci

December 24 2011, 00:39:31 UTC 2 years ago

They did beta testing, they just rolled it out prior to fixing the issues.

toriningen

2 years ago

lafinjack

2 years ago

ladyminya

2 years ago

ailurus

2 years ago

slayedaking

2 years ago

sireesanwar

December 23 2011, 23:42:18 UTC 2 years ago

Well at least you guys are clear away the mess, right? It is always good to clean up the clutter.

taleya

December 23 2011, 23:50:19 UTC 2 years ago

Especially all those messy paying users. Terrible things, those.

vysed

2 years ago

bluesman

2 years ago

miss_jaffacake

December 23 2011, 23:42:50 UTC 2 years ago

Thank you for looking into it, my laptop cannot cope with loading all my icons, so I'm stuck on using the default for the time being when commenting on S1 styles. Looking forward to the update :)

0_lechim

December 27 2011, 06:10:04 UTC 2 years ago

comments subject line?
why cant they bring it back ?
what about "Ctrl+Enter" short cut?
it just does not work :(
Ctrl+Alt+'+' short cut for comments,
does not seem to work EITHER :(
so LJ, what DOES actually work?

and how about bringing comments subject BACK?

F.ex. take this thread... despite hunreds of people who have expressed their opinion, only 25-50 will be able to make their opinion visible to the mass. Because most people will NOT press "expand" button when it means releasing hundreds of comments. Thus most of the comments in here, in this post will be in vain, cause people just can't pick up on them when there is no "subject of comment"- line.

LJ just made most comments - invisible,
thus LJ made users - silent.

oblika_farika

December 23 2011, 23:43:25 UTC 2 years ago

its a christmas miracle

ex_nuitsong

December 23 2011, 23:52:34 UTC 2 years ago

I lol'ed.

dementedsiren

2 years ago

jchrys

December 23 2011, 23:43:26 UTC 2 years ago

How about something about the color scheme, hmmm? This blue, it hurts.

Oh, and about that refresh thing...so not working in Chrome. Just tellin' ya.

And before you get the next 1500 messages telling you the same thing - BRING THE SUBJECT LINES BACK.

(I suppose this is the last we'll hear from you until sometime after New Year's, isn't it?)

renne

December 23 2011, 23:57:05 UTC 2 years ago

refresh works in chrome for me, but that's about the only thing.

...that being said, i have fuck all luck using chrome these days (haha why would i want those first few letters i'm typing into that text box? oh sure you can bring up an aw snap error every time i try to enter in a text box! asdfghjkjhgfd FUCK YOU CHROME I AM ONLY STICKING WITH YOU BECAUSE I AM NOT MASOCHISTIC ENOUGH TO GO BACK TO FIREFOX (YET)).

jchrys

2 years ago

veracity

2 years ago

cest_amy

2 years ago

surreal_44

2 years ago

ex_nuitsong

2 years ago

jchrys

2 years ago

ex_nuitsong

2 years ago

jchrys

2 years ago

joereaves

2 years ago

ex_nuitsong

2 years ago

dorsetgirl

2 years ago

joereaves

2 years ago

chibi_lurrel

2 years ago

jchrys

2 years ago

archangelbeth

2 years ago

rionaleonhart

December 23 2011, 23:43:36 UTC 2 years ago

Glad to hear parent links are being restored!

Is there any chance of the font being changed back? Arial is quite difficult to focus on for long entries.

kitsuneasika

December 24 2011, 01:25:36 UTC 2 years ago

THIS.

I can deal with most of the changes, but the font just drives me nuts.

dorsetgirl

2 years ago

scarletladyy

December 23 2011, 23:43:55 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  December 23 2011, 23:47:24 UTC

But I don't think the edit/tracking/adding to memories buttons were clutter. I think they were really useful, and your new "feature" is just irritating.

Not to mention your "more visual icon selection tool" is a pain for users with slow connections (and you said you changed one of the older features to increase load times) and just a pain in general when selecting an icon.

Can't you please have these new features as optional? And let anyone who prefers the old system, which is most people, keep it if we want?

The reason we're all getting so upset over this is because we love Livejounal. If we didn't like it, we wouldn't be complaining. Why change something that doesn't need to be changed? Please listen to your userbase, the people who pay to keep the site open because we love it. We are extremely upset over this, and would be very grateful if you would roll it back, or at least make it optional.

herbeautifullie

December 23 2011, 23:59:30 UTC 2 years ago

The reason we're all getting so upset over this is because we love Livejounal. If we didn't like it, we wouldn't be complaining.

Exactly. I have this philosophy with complaints:
If people complain, it's because they want to come back and find things the way they'd like them to be. If they weren't ever going to come back, they wouldn't bother wasting their time in saying anything.

Maybe you, Livejournal staff, should consider the great number of complaints you've seen here and realise the that number of journals being opened at Dreamwidth recently are a direct result of your unnecessary changes. Clearly we're sitting here, spending our time informing you of all the things we dislike because we want to be here and use the old features that we enjoyed. Compromise is not defeat, it's learning from a mistake and going forward. If you love the code so much, make it optional. If it's proving to kill your userbase, get rid of it.

Just some food for thought. And, also, Dreamwidth's help page is awesome and very personable! The staff there has been really nice and all of the questions I've had about transferring my journal over have been answered promptly. Their staff is smaller than yours, isn't it? Why aren't we being offered similar treatment here?

litlover12

2 years ago

celestineangel

2 years ago

glowing_dragon

2 years ago

moob

December 23 2011, 23:44:27 UTC 2 years ago

"Pages no longer need to refresh after adding comments, which helps reduce load times"

That's just fucking annoying, I like seeing other comments if they've been posted before mine, without having to manually reload the page myself.

"Keyboard shortcuts to ease navigation (Ctrl + enter for a new comment, Ctrl + left arrow/right arrow moves between pages, Ctrl + Alt + '+ / -' expands or collapses all comments on a page)"

no1curr

"Buttons for editing, tracking, adding to memories, etc. are now accessed by hovering over a comment, removing general clutter"

Removes clutter but like the first point, is generally fucking annoying.

"New comments on pages are marked as such"

K.

"There's a new, more visual icon selection tool"

lol, but no.

&

"Improvements for mobile devices, including user pic selection"

Yes, your new ~sparkling~ comment page has crashed my phone's browser several times now.

Good job, carry on.

makowe_pola

December 23 2011, 23:53:56 UTC 2 years ago

wanted to add it's crashing every browser in ny mobile too :/

And I could've picked icons just finr before (just did it un CUSTOM comment page). Now I can't, cos they load for infinity and I have what, only 30 on my RPG account. I'm glad I haven't 100 like some people :/

othellia

2 years ago

othellia

December 23 2011, 23:45:07 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  December 23 2011, 23:46:37 UTC

The following issues are a known priority as we work through the kinks of our brand new comment system:

General performance issues with certain browsers
Improvements for mobile devices, including user pic selection
Post subjects added to email notifications
Restoring visibility of notes in comments
Restoring 'parent' links
Adding some additional RTE features to comments
Adding spell check

Still no subject lines I see. (ETA: Or rather why add post subjects to email notifications if people can't add subjects period. Unless there has been something I missed that's addressing this?) Why restore all the other ones and make no mention of the thing users have been complaining the most about?

Anyways, what I mainly came here to ask is if there's a different combo mac users have to use for the comment keyboard shortcuts since mine doesn't respond at all.

renne

December 23 2011, 23:47:13 UTC 2 years ago

Anyways, what I mainly came here to ask is if there's a different combo mac users have to use for the comment keyboard shortcuts since mine doesn't respond at all.

I'd suggest opening a support ticket. That sounds like a bug and you're going to get shit all help here (unless it's one of the userbase who's solved it).

othellia

2 years ago

lab_brat

2 years ago

othellia

2 years ago

slayedaking

2 years ago

nochick_fics

December 23 2011, 23:45:12 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  December 23 2011, 23:47:01 UTC

There's a new, more visual icon selection tool

Which is all fine and good if one does not have to scroll through 250+ icons to find just the right one they want to use. I tried using the search feature and it really didn't work all that well. For instance, when I wanted to use a Bleach icon, typing in "Bleach" brought up zero icons, whereas typing in "each" worked.

If the search feature worked properly, I wouldn't have such an issue with it, although I do wish that this had remained an option.

kittyknighton

December 24 2011, 00:10:28 UTC 2 years ago

New icon selection system wouldn't be that horrible if they had kept it alphabetized. But upload date? Really?

evilgmbethy

2 years ago

halfshellvenus

2 years ago

numisma

2 years ago

hermyfan

2 years ago

nochick_fics

2 years ago

methuselah31010

2 years ago

nochick_fics

2 years ago

coffeerocket

December 23 2011, 23:45:14 UTC 2 years ago

pretty_panther

December 23 2011, 23:49:37 UTC 2 years ago

in love with this comment ♥_____♥

coffeerocket

2 years ago

tigerzahn

2 years ago

a_mistletoe

December 23 2011, 23:45:22 UTC 2 years ago

Not good enough. I've been on this page 30 seconds and my eyes already hurt. Do you not understand that concept about reading? You have to use your eyes. Weird I know, but there we are.

ex_nuitsong

December 24 2011, 00:08:56 UTC 2 years ago

THIS.

joereaves

2 years ago

a_mistletoe

2 years ago

nonlineartroll

December 23 2011, 23:45:37 UTC 2 years ago

Basically all I'm getting from this is:

"Hello, we don't give a heaping pile of fresh, steaming dog shit about what you guys are actually saying but we're pretending to be open to feedback, please leave and stop giving me your money because we don't what you here anyway."

Either put it back the way it was or stop wasting our time with these pointless updates about how you don't value our feedback at all.

nentikobe

December 23 2011, 23:59:22 UTC 2 years ago

This.

twoeleven

2 years ago

nonlineartroll

2 years ago

twoeleven

2 years ago

slayedaking

2 years ago

fannyfae

2 years ago

slayedaking

2 years ago

gwalla

2 years ago

salve

2 years ago

slayedaking

2 years ago

salve

2 years ago

renne

December 23 2011, 23:45:50 UTC 2 years ago

What about the subject lines? This is a big issue that keeps on getting ignored in every post that comes up from LJ except one comment in an lj release post.

Even if you pretend it's not there, the issue is not going to go away.

uglybusiness

December 24 2011, 00:55:07 UTC 2 years ago

+1

meirwen

2 years ago

tigerzahn