theljstaff (theljstaff) wrote in news,

LJ News: February 24th, 2012

February 24, 2012
Bits and bytes from around the site

Release 89: Top Entries, Commenting Updates, and More

The latest LiveJournal site update – Release 89 – is alive and kicking. Noteworthy changes include:

  • Popular Entries now on the LiveJournal homepage: This fun new feature highlights the 25 most viewed public community entries (not flagged as adult concepts or adult content) on LiveJournal. The homepage feature also links to an expanded list of popular community entries that you can sort by page views or visitors. Learn more about this feature in this FAQ.
  • Purging of inactive accounts: As we noted earlier, inactive accounts are being deleted from the system. Any account that hasn't been logged into for two years and has never posted an entry will be subject to removal.
  • Classic commenting format for Minimalism styles: A new commenting scheme that mimics the previous default commenting scheme has been developed for Minimalism styles. This option is available on the Customize journal page by enabling customized comment pages and enabling the "Use classic commenting page" option.

Check out lj_releases for complete details related to Release 89.

Announcing LJ Media; Plus: Community Leader Summit

Last week was an exciting and busy one for LiveJournal. It began with the official announcement of LJ Media, a new online publishing group created to find active and interesting LiveJournal communities that desire to grow, and then help transform them into media sites. Along with this announcement, the first LiveJournal Community Leader Summit was held in San Francisco. Joining us for a day of presentations, discussion, and good food were awesome owners and mods from six LiveJournal communities that are also the inaugural sites within LJ Media: Anything Diz, Arama They Didn’t, VaginaPagina, Craftgrrl, ONTD Political and ONTD Games. We plan 40-50 LJ Media communities by the end of 2012. Learn more.

Featured Communities

Craftgrrl presents Crafts for Charity

Crafting community craftgrrl is collecting pillowcases for Mary Bridge Children's Hospital. Check out this creative cause that's bringing comfort to hospitalized children.
more…

Photophile picture of the week

Congrats to harnessphoto, winner of last week's lj_photophile contest! This week's contest is in full swing. Vote for your favorite photo!

Free vGift for Paid and Permanent members

If you have a Paid or Permanent account, you can send six Blue Dragons now until Monday, February 27th, at midnight, PDT! You'll see both the free and the $0.99 vGifts displayed until you've sent them to your friends.

LJ Scribe announcements

Congratulations to darklotus1211, macaparket, monochrome_song, and blueskywriter, who won prompt #51 of our lj_scribe writing contest! We've selected 6 finalists in response to our 52nd prompt theme for your review.

LJ's revamped newsletter layout

This week we're bringing you the news from the comfort of our shiny newsletter layout. Let us know what you think! If you prefer a stripped-down approach to LiveJournal news then check out simplynews.

Copyright © 2012 LiveJournal | Visit simplynews to view the news with minimal text formatting.

Tags: craftgrrl, crafts for charity, lj media, lj media summit, release 89

← Ctrl← Alt
Next
Ctrl →Alt →

brenden

February 24 2012, 21:22:03 UTC 2 years ago

where's shutter?

salacious_pop

March 4 2012, 21:23:14 UTC 2 years ago

ahaahahaha

etacanis

February 24 2012, 21:26:41 UTC 2 years ago

well this formatting didn't fuck with my friends list at all :|

Also, not only does the popular entries thing make the homepage look cluttered, I've seen some really potentially triggering stuff just chilling out there :|

theidolhands

February 24 2012, 21:33:02 UTC 2 years ago

Yes, I'd appreciate the ability to at least collapse it when one did not care to view it. It's not FB.

cloudsinvenice

2 years ago

spiffynamehere

2 years ago

busaikko

2 years ago

cloudsinvenice

2 years ago

wattle_neurotic

2 years ago

sparowe

2 years ago

lovepollution

February 24 2012, 21:27:11 UTC 2 years ago

But what if I don't want to change my journal style to Minimalism but I want the old style comment pages?

ripedecay

February 24 2012, 21:34:10 UTC 2 years ago

This.

How about an option if people WANT to use this horrid style and made the 'classic' style default? And then see how many people actually switch? I mean, really, forcing this on us isn't working out.

I'm still pretty sure icons are also still screwing up and revert to default in this style.

jewelianna

2 years ago

marsden_online

February 24 2012, 21:27:29 UTC 2 years ago

>This week we're bringing you the news from the comfort of our shiny newsletter layout. Let us know what you think!

Simply News friended. Assuming the content remains identical expect to be unfriending LJ News in a couple of newsletters time - this format doesn't play well with the amount of space available in the 3-column theme I'm using.

arethinn

February 24 2012, 21:57:48 UTC 2 years ago

+1

Fortunately it didn't break anything on my flist per se (like messing up the formatting of following entries), but still. Ugh. Cluttery.\

MOAR IS NOT BETTER OK

jackwabbit

February 24 2012, 21:27:54 UTC 2 years ago

Ugly.

That is all.

awry

February 24 2012, 21:29:05 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  February 24 2012, 21:30:08 UTC

S1 comment pages for all styles.
Do not want the 'Popular Entries' section on my home page. Please remove it. Or give me the option to edit my homepage as I see fit. I don't want half the crap on it.

makowe_pola

February 24 2012, 21:31:21 UTC 2 years ago

http://www.livejournal.com/portal/ try this one, not as pretty, but at least useful.

awry

2 years ago

makowe_pola

2 years ago

strassenhund

2 years ago

radiantsoul

2 years ago

muggle_01

2 years ago

casett

February 24 2012, 21:29:16 UTC 2 years ago

Messed up on my iPad.

wraith816

February 24 2012, 21:29:35 UTC 2 years ago

Yeah, this news layout is awful. Also, making your readers go somewhere else to get the news without the layout? Not cool.

radiantsoul

February 24 2012, 21:34:13 UTC 2 years ago

They are giving users a choice on the layout. People complain some things are not opt out and complain when they are given an option.

kaspurr

2 years ago

radiantsoul

2 years ago

wraith816

2 years ago

radiantsoul

2 years ago

arethinn

2 years ago

Deleted comment

radiantsoul

2 years ago

wraith816

2 years ago

kellzilla

2 years ago

aiki

2 years ago

scolaro

February 24 2012, 21:30:01 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  February 24 2012, 21:43:16 UTC

What happened to the profile page? It looks hideous... :'(
And I can't find any entry or comment from you regarding this change. Was it maybe an accident?

Edit: Oh, regarding the news layout, it doesn't mess up my flist (thankfully), but I prefer the simple version. How about having the simple layout *here* and a sparkling one in another comm instead? I wouldn't want to change as I'd fear the other comm would soon be forgotten and I'd miss out on information (even though NEWS entries usually only have a small percentage of actual information regarding the site, sadly enough).

Regarding the home page: I've stopped looking at it altogether because the useful bits are drowned in a pile of colourful, but utterly useless features like popular entries and creative expression etc., and more and more are thrown onto the pile without our consent. Why can't we put our own home page together, the way we'd like it to be? And I don't mean on a different page, I mean this very home page.

To close on a positive note: it's good to see inactive accounts are going to be purged.

jinkibumiminho

February 24 2012, 21:32:00 UTC 2 years ago

How about an option for lj news to post behind an lj-cut. That's what my courteous friends do instead of taking up space on my friends page.

kaspurr

February 24 2012, 21:40:34 UTC 2 years ago

This is another good point.

neapeaikea

2 years ago

introductory

2 years ago

radiantsoul

February 24 2012, 21:32:29 UTC 2 years ago

I like the new format.

I also quite like reading all the moaning that follows an LJ_news post.

Deleted comment

radiantsoul

2 years ago

sarcasticval

2 years ago

mpoetess

2 years ago

crossfire

2 years ago

radiantsoul

2 years ago

scolaro

2 years ago

radiantsoul

2 years ago

scolaro

2 years ago

emarkienna

2 years ago

radiantsoul

2 years ago

emarkienna

2 years ago

emarkienna

2 years ago

radiantsoul

2 years ago

hoshiko_2000

2 years ago

gringotts

2 years ago

zeitgeistic

2 years ago

achacunsagloire

2 years ago

vickyblueeyez

February 24 2012, 21:32:39 UTC 2 years ago

Is there some way to find out when LJ offers free user gifts, heads, etc? I didn't even know about the Valentine's ones until someone told me. I always seem to miss them. I'm surprised I caught this one.

brenden

February 24 2012, 21:34:22 UTC 2 years ago

I love the popular entries on the homepage! I've already found a few communities that I had no idea existed :)

gossamera

February 24 2012, 21:44:22 UTC 2 years ago

It is sometimes fun, but there are communities I deliberately avoid and don't appreciate being forced to see. Popular isn't always best. ^^;

brenden

2 years ago

coldlikedeath

2 years ago

Deleted comment

coldlikedeath

2 years ago

m03m

2 years ago

gringotts

2 years ago

bandicoot

February 24 2012, 21:35:30 UTC 2 years ago

Ugly. But that's what I've come to expect... ;/

claws

February 24 2012, 21:39:39 UTC 2 years ago

sucks.

introductory

February 24 2012, 21:40:07 UTC 2 years ago

Goodbye news, hello simplynews.

vickyblueeyez

February 24 2012, 21:43:36 UTC 2 years ago

ty

nagasasu

2 years ago

ejia_arath03

February 24 2012, 21:41:10 UTC 2 years ago

I don't even visit LJ's main page anymore. I go straight to my friends page.

arethinn

February 24 2012, 21:59:49 UTC 2 years ago

I never have visited the main page (except by accident because I was logged out and didn't know it).

gunslnger

2 years ago

doeeyedbecky

2 years ago

lysanatt

February 24 2012, 21:42:39 UTC 2 years ago

Oh, wow. You really are set on the idea of fucking up the layout in the entire LJ aren't you.

GET A FUCKING GRIP, LJ!

You need an LJ-cut explained to you in detail? And I can explain to you how to get back to a a general journal layout that doesn't hurt the eye, mess up the layout, make the commenting hopeless, ruins threads and makes it possible to find comments and threads, too.

Interested? No, I didn't think so.

ronsard

February 24 2012, 21:43:00 UTC 2 years ago

Why only Minimalism? Why do you even offer different styles if you're just going to single one out knowing a lot of people want to use the old commenting format? Most importantly, why did I ever bother renewing my paid account for the year.

moonshineray

February 24 2012, 21:43:30 UTC 2 years ago

Cut please.
Seriously.

disprove

February 24 2012, 21:44:11 UTC 2 years ago

Why are the site fonts so much bigger now on my iPad? And the LJ banner header looks wonky, too. Much, much worse is the comment textarea. It won't expand properly like it does on a laptop/desktop. It ends up overlaying the Add A Comment button when the comment runs long. Just let the thing scroll on the iPad pls.

Also, let me just copy&paste a previous comment of mine. To anyone who's using my scripts Livejournal Release 88 Tweaks and/or Livejournal - Show Subject Field:

I've fixed them up now to work with Release 89. Sorry for being late; I was sans internet the last couple of days. Anyway, the most prominent hiccups are the keywords-only userpic selection and the subject field indention getting borked. I've dealt with these already, along with other bugs, and things ought to work properly now. Please update to version 2.5.4 and version 0.2 respectively. I'll probably be tweaking a few other things tomorrow though jsyk.

scolaro

February 24 2012, 21:57:37 UTC 2 years ago

Wow, very cool. I don't need them, but I'm sure others will be happy about this option. Thank you for your effort!

lenra

2 years ago

neapeaikea

February 24 2012, 21:45:19 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  February 24 2012, 21:45:52 UTC

not too sure about this whole new layout thing for the news post... but that is secondary to bringing back subject lines in the comments. come ooooooooooon. EDIT: FOR ALL STYLES.

also, the faq for the new popular entries feature still shows up "intentionally left blank" for me. No, I don't have English as my preferred language on LJ, but for all the other faq's that aren't available in my language, it usually just shows it in English instead.

beren_writes

February 24 2012, 21:49:13 UTC 2 years ago

Um ... I just switched one of my comms to Minimalist, then set it to use the classic commenting page and nothing's different when commenting. Have I missed something?

Also, when I go to browse to choose an icon (which I just did accidentally) - why are they in a completely random order, not alphabetical, not order updated or anything sensible?

jenab

February 24 2012, 22:38:27 UTC 2 years ago

I just tried the same thing and nothing changed.

mpoetess

2 years ago

beren_writes

2 years ago

makowe_pola

February 24 2012, 21:52:07 UTC 2 years ago

LJ's revamped newsletter layout

This week we're bringing you the news from the comfort of our shiny newsletter layout. Let us know what you think! If you prefer a stripped-down approach to LiveJournal news then check ou

Pointless. Making my layout go wonky, YOUR, news goes wonky... Not to mention that when you use as many graphics, it's common courtesy to place it under the cut.

I check in here for useful informations, not pritti layouts that aren't really all that great. In other words unfollowing this one to follow the text-only comm.

giselleslash

February 24 2012, 21:56:33 UTC 2 years ago

This royally fucks up my layout on my friends page. Thanks for that. And now I have to go read this epic tale of never-ending bullshit.

Previous
← Ctrl← Alt
Next
Ctrl →Alt →