theljstaff ( theljstaff) wrote in news,

LiveJournal Release 90 is Here

Sticky posts, spoiler tags, scheduled posts, and bug fixes included in this latest site update; plus special announcements.

Today we welcome Release 90, which includes the latest updates, changes and additions to LiveJournal. We also have a few bug fixes, and announcements to share -- so strap in, hold on tight, here we go…

First, what's new:

Sticky Posts: Easy - No work-around needed!
For those communities and journals that have wanted a post to remain permanently in place without it being pushed down by a new entry – like a ‘Welcome” post – sitcky posts make it easy. On the Update page, you’ll find the option "Make sticky post.” When you select this option, the entry you chose will now appear as the top entry to anyone who views your journal or community. You can only have one sticky entry per journal or community. Note that if you post a new entry with sticky post enabled, it will become the new top entry and the previous sticky post will revert to being a normal entry. If an entry is a sticky post, this icon  will appear in the same location as the entry security level icon appears.

Scheduled Entries: Post while you’re away!
There may be times when you don’t want to post an entry right away, or you might have more than one entry that you’d like to space apart rather than all at the same time. With Release 90, you can now schedule your entries to be posted at a future date and time, rather than immediately post it. You can view and manage scheduled entries here: http://www.livejournal.com/manage/scheduled_posts.bml.

Spoiler Tags: Plots no longer ruined!
How many times have you visited your favorite TV show fan community only to find someone has carelessly posted an unknown plot detail without the courtesy of a spoiler alert? Release 90 is here to help: You can now add spoilers to an entry through use of the <lj-spoiler> tag. Though similar to an lj-cut, an lj-spoiler does not require a new page to load when clicked. Clicking the link will expand the hidden text inline. Plus, it works on both entries and comments. You can customize the text by using the format <lj-spoiler text=”Custom text goes here”>. There is also a new button for lj-spoiler in the Rich Text Editor Spoiler Icon that can be used in the same way the lj-cut button is used.

Comment Image Placeholders: Less memory drain and NSFW images
You’re at school or work, reading the comments in your favorite LiveJournal community, and suddenly an image appears that is not safe to be viewed in public. Now you can replace images in comments with a small placeholder image! This option is also useful for when there are too many large images to load. Find the new comment image placeholder option here: http://www.livejournal.com/manage/settings/?cat=display

Popular Communities: Homepage addition features Top 10 communities
LiveJournal communities are vibrant, active and interesting, and we think the more the ways to discover new communities, the better. Release 90 includes a new module on the homepage that highlights the Top 10 most popular LiveJournal communities. Communities are chosen based on special algorithms that calculate a community’s “status” through the level of its activity. Learn more here: http://www.livejournal.com/support/faqbrowse.bml?faqid=359. You can also see more than 10 of the most popular communities at http://www.livejournal.com/ratings/community/?country=noncyr.
Bugs, fixed
LiveJournal Release 90 fixes a few known bugs:
  • Comments left by deleted accounts will display again, instead of incorrectly showing all such comments as having been deleted.

  • Comment headers should no longer incorrectly be excessively large for comments with subject lines.

  • Bold, italic, and underline buttons in the comment form will now insert html in the correct places when used.

  • Userpics should display properly in your journal when the option to use the old style comment pages is enabled.

  • Flexible Squares styles have had their comment page navigation/pagination options restored.

  • Email notifications now contain the correct URL for the options to screen or delete comments.

Announcements
Within the coming weeks we will be saying goodbye to two LiveJournal features.

Games Discontinued
We resisted writing “game over for games on LiveJournal,” but yes, on April 9, the Games tab will disappear from the LiveJournal navigation bar, and games – including Sim Hospital, Airport and City Gangs – will no longer be available to play.

Writer's Block Ending
After many successful years as a LiveJournal homepage fixture, it is time to say goodbye to Writer’s Block Question of the Day. Our thanks to all who have participated in and shared our daily often quirky queries. We expect Writer’s Block to end within the next couple weeks; in the meantime, have fun answering the remaining questions. If you’re looking to continue your addiction to answering questions, feel free to check out thequestionclub or ask_me_anything.

We hope you find Release 90 useful. As always, we welcome your comments.

oh.
nice to see you back where you belong

shutter

4 years ago

netter88

1 year ago

andy

4 years ago

shutter

4 years ago

How about using an lj cut instead of eating up my page?
Whine, whine, whine.

rhiannon_666

4 years ago

jinkibumiminho

4 years ago

Deleted comment

anais_pf

4 years ago

denisekw

4 years ago

okay

March 16 2012, 05:48:43 UTC 4 years ago Edited:  March 16 2012, 05:54:45 UTC

When will you fix the bug where I keep getting jumped to the first page on entries over a page long? And posting comments on one single thread without having to click a specific comment each and every time just to continue talking? Also, I can't customize minimalism? So I'm forced to use the default styles which I don't like. I just wanna be able to use the original comment styles... and ignore the pokemon

Seriously, this. I am so very tired of having to back-button and refresh when I'm talking to people on multiple threads in a custom comment style. Leave me on the page I was on, dammit; I was there for a reason.
....A release with actual useful updates that can be set by each individual user or community without being forced on everyone all at once?

I think I'm dreaming.

Thank you. I like these new updates and look forward to using them.
Agreed!

coendou

4 years ago

Are all of our old Writer's Block posts going to continue to work, or will the questions be replaced with "Invalid tag" at some point in the future?
This is a very valid question. I'm also curious

cutelildrow

4 years ago

digzmania

4 years ago

Thanks for sticky posts and spoiler tags

Too bad you've already fucked up and everybody's gone to Dreamwidth or Tumblr.
And yet you're here to comment...
am i the only idiot who tends to always click "post a new comment" now instead of "reply"? i still hate the new comment pages.
Me, too! All the time. I really hate these new comment pages.

shadadukal

4 years ago

Meanwhile, still no fix for the godawful comments pages, lack of subject headers etc. The ones that constantly crash my browser and show up even though I have my journal set to view comments pages in my style so I can avoid that mess.
Notice how LJ doesn't listen to what we really want?

tempertemper

4 years ago

Sorry to hear that "Writer's Block" is going away. No need to ever visit the home page again.

Thumbs up on the spoiler tag and the easy to work sticky post.
Agreed, wb was the only reason for me to go there as well :(

fiddlingfrog

4 years ago

operatic_diva

4 years ago

Well, just to maintain tradition, you broke the placeholder function. There used to be a choice of image size to determine whether or not placeholders were displayed. The help file still talks about that choice, but the ability to actually choose has vanished. Now, instead of placeholders on my friends page, I have full sized blank outlines. How, exactly, is this supposed to be an improvement?

Anything else I might have to say would involve extensive use of obscenities, so I'll just give up.
This does appear to be a bug -- it's being filed now with our development staff. Thanks for letting us know!

zarla

4 years ago

clex_monkie89

March 16 2012, 05:56:27 UTC 4 years ago Edited:  March 16 2012, 05:58:40 UTC

[This is not a spoiler, I just wanna see what this does.]Here are words and things.[Spoiler (click to open)]

ETA: That is pretty fucking neat.
AWESOME.

LJ, I appreciate these useful features, and hope you continue to implement things that your users are asking for.

clex_monkie89

4 years ago

mashimero

4 years ago

clex_monkie89

4 years ago

railenthe

4 years ago

The sticky-post thing is SUPER cool! Thanks!
Dislike that you can only use it once though

tanwen

4 years ago

jandjsalmon

4 years ago

lokechild

4 years ago

jandjsalmon

4 years ago

frust_sheep

3 years ago

frust_sheep

3 years ago

Nice!
Thank you for not hard formatting this post :)
+1

subsequent

4 years ago

oh good

useful things
Yes, I just noticed the changes to the navigation for flexible squares comment pages: my prayers have been answered!! Thanks LJ.
Why did you make the light blue line a l l t h e w a y a c r o s s t h e t o p ? It was just fine with it right underneath the little icon buttons (previous, memorize, share...)!

I'm really getting sick of the color blue.
(copying what I wrote in the release post)
It's still possible to have multiple future-dated stickies, in addition to the single new-style sticky you can have per journal. The Post an Entry page only checks to see if an entry should be a delayed entry when you first hit Post. This means that
1) Your existing future-dated stickies will stay right where they are, at the top of your journal, until you re-date them to move them away.
2) If you want new future-dated stickies you need to post regularly without changing the date. Then, edit your new entry and change the date to something in the future. That's it, no more checkbox to "Date Out of Order" needed.
This is exactly the question I came on here hoping to find answered - thanks! (the extra editing step seems like a bit more hassle than checking a box at the outset, but...small sacrifice, I guess)
I really like all the new features! The sticky posts, spoiler tags, and scheduled entries should be especially useful.

I'm still not wild about the new comment pages, and I really wish you'd change them back.
+1

rabidsamfan

4 years ago

kuiskata

March 16 2012, 06:09:19 UTC 4 years ago Edited:  March 16 2012, 06:17:03 UTC

Liking the sticky post and the spoiler tag. Very useful.
Spoiler tags sound interesting. :D

However, can you guys fix the inbox? You know, more? Because it sucks compared to before, with no minimizing the notifications at all, which is annoying when people post full stories into something. And the previous/next buttons aren't really working for me either.
Both of these things should still be working! It sounds like JavaScript on this page isn't loading properly in your browser

[hiding the wall of text about troubleshooting JavaScript]

There are many things which can cause JavaScript to not function properly, including:

* JavaScript could be disabled in your browser. Please ensure your browser has JavaScript enabled.

* Setting the "security" level of your web browser too high. Adjusting your browser's security setting to a lower level can help in this case.

* Installed add-ons or toolbars in your web browser, especially add-ons which attempt to block ads or scripts from running, can cause this behavior. Disabling all browser add-ons and toolbars can be helpful for the purpose of testing this.

* Anti-virus software interfering with scripts being run. You may need to try disabling your anti-virus software before loading LiveJournal pages for the purpose of testing if it is interfering with pages loading correctly.

* The presence of spyware/malware on your computer. Third party programs installed without your permission can change the way pages load. Many popular programs exist to identify and remove spyware/malware from your computer. We recommend using your preferred search enginge to search for "spyware removal" to find a program which can help remove spyware from your computer.

* Using an out of date web browser. Upgrading your browser to the most recent version can sometimes resolve issues such as this.

serpent_849

4 years ago

Three months later. Still hate the new comment pages. I'm just sayin.
Yes.

blueymcphluey

4 years ago

sarcasticval

4 years ago

theidolhands

4 years ago

oohasparklie

4 years ago

I like some of this stuff.

Wish you would fix what you broke three months ago, but at least you are working on interesting, useful stuff that is not just rolled out en masse to abuse your userbase.

Sorry to see Writer's Block go, though. It was interesting seeing what people had to say, sometimes.
-Really sad at the loss of Writer's Block; it's about the only useful thing on the cluttered homepage and I liked reading random answers from that rare breed of people with public entries. Answering in comments, you don't quite write the same way.
-Kind of pissed at the loss of games; I've spent weeks saving up game cash so I could actually have fun playing Sim Hospital on my own without having any friends who played it, but since they were always broken anyway...
-Really excited by sticky posts, scheduled entries and spoiler cuts!! Like, falling down, don't-know-what-to-do-with-myself-when-you-make-changes-that-are-nifty-and-positive excited.
I have to say, I'm surprised I have something positive to say about a recent release. It's a pleasurable surprise, though, so, yay!

re: the spoiler tag - best invention yet. And it comes on a day when I was waffling over posting my mega list of characters in a meme; because it's a mega list and I didn't want to annoy anyone with the sheer meganess of it. Mega.

The sticky post is a great idea. For something in the future, I'd love the option for cascading sticky posts. Because sometimes, there's more than one thing you want people to see when they come to a journal. Kudos for getting it up, though.

Crit/complaint (because you knew it was coming) - I'd really like it if the dropdown userpic menu that showed the picture icons gave you a way to differentiate between active/non-active icons. When I'm between payments, I have to hemm and haw over trying to remember which ones are active - and 7 out of 10 times, I choose unwisely.
You can still have multiple entries appear at the top of your journal, you just have to fiddle with the dates a little bit (like you would have before the sticky post setting came out here). To do so:

1) Post your 'most important' or whatever entry (the one you want at the very top) as an actual sticky post.

2) Then, post your next entry that you want at the top without editing the date at all -- just leave it as today's date, etc.

3) Then, edit that second/new entry and give it date way in the future -- 2020 or whatever. When you save that entry, it will then be sorted according to its date and therefore appear just below the sticky post.

4) Repeat as needed if you want to have a third or fourth or whatever always-on-top entry.

herbalpoison

4 years ago

astronewt

4 years ago