theljstaff (theljstaff) wrote in news,

ALL-NEW SCRAPBOOK COMING EARLY MAY. HERE’S WHAT TO EXPECT

April 30, 2012 - Scrapbook, LiveJournal’s exclusive photo-hosting feature for Plus, Paid and Perm accounts, is being replaced by...Scrapbook. In a continuing effort to improve site features and performance, LiveJournal is planning a complete overhaul of Scrapbook. The “new and improved” Scrapbook is expected to go live within the first half of May.

Once the switch occurs, Scrapbook users will see a totally new look, an easier-to-use interface; and in most cases, speedier performance. All images will automatically migrate to the new system, with image and gallery names preserved.

LiveJournal has developed a FAQ for the new Scrapbook; you can read it below under the cut or at lj_releases.

If you are a member of the Scrapbook beta-test community you can begin migrating your files to the new Scrapbook now. Go to lj_pics_beta for more information.

Why a new Scrapbook?
The current implementation of Scrapbook is outdated and has a number of problems, including simple usability issues such as not being able to upload multiple images at once. Much of the interface is overly complex, with many layers of pages that make it troublesome to navigate. We want to address these issues by implementing a new photo hosting service that is easier to use, has more intuitive navigation features, and provide a platform that can more easily be built & improve upon in the future. We're aiming to launch the new service in early May, and have an FAQ below explaining a bit more about the entire process.

What will happen to my Scrapbook images?
All images from Scrapbook will be automatically transferred to the new version of the service, and will preserve the image & gallery names.

There is currently no tagging system in the new photohosting service, so tags you have created in Scrapbook will not be copied to the new service.

The new version does not currently allow images to exist in multiple galleries. If you have an image which exists in multiple galleries, it will placed in the first gallery which the image is associated with.

Videos are not supported by the new version of Scrapbook. Any videos which are in your Scrapbook will temporarily remain there. Shortly after the migration occurs, you will be sent a notification which contains instructions on how to download these videos.

Will I still have the same amount of storage space for my images?
Yes, all account levels will retain the same storage space levels as before, including if you've purchased the extra storage space add-on. These levels are not being reduced.

How will the image transfer process work?
The process for transferring photos will take some time to complete, and will happen one account at a time. Each account should take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes to complete, depending on how many images exist in their Scrapbook. When an account's images are being transferred to the new version, Scrapbook will be temporarily unavailable for that account and images being loaded from that account's Scrapbook will not appear in entries or comments. Once the transfer has completed, all galleries and images will appear and load normally again.

What happens to my entries that use images from the old version of Scrapbook?
There is a redirection mechanism behind the scenes that will display the correct image from the new system even though the old URL is used in the entry or comment. If you delete an image from the new system, the picture no longer exists, and will not display at either the old or new URL. Non-public images will stop displaying to other users when the security level of the image changes during the conversion process.

Will my galleries and images still have the same security level as they did before?
Scrapbook currently has its own custom security levels, but the new version inherits all security options from your LiveJournal account. Because of this, it is not possible to preserve all security settings, and therefore the following security level conversions will take place during the migration:

1) Any images which are set to "Public" or "Registered Users" in Scrapbook will be set to "Public" in the new system.

2) Any other security settings you have used will be converted to "Private". Because custom groups in Scrapbook can differ from those in your LiveJournal account, this was the only way ensure that access to images is not granted to someone who isn't intended to have access.

Can I still use the old ScrapBook after the switch?
No. The old ScrapBook interface will be inaccessible once the image transfer process has completed.

I don't want to wait, can I switch now?
If you want your account converted to the new version of Scrapbook as soon as possible, you can join the community lj_pics_beta, and comment to the entry at http://lj-pics-beta.livejournal.com/862.html with "+" without the quotes, and with no other text. Please be aware that if you do this, you will not be able to reverse the change; your old Scrapbook will become permanently unavailable once your account is migrated.

What will the new Scrapbook look like?
When you first arrive, you'll see your Albums page, from which you can see your existing Albums, create new ones, and upload images:

Albums Page

Within each Album, you can both see and manage your images. From here, you can upload new images, add images to an entry, change image security, or delete images:

Manage Album

Uploading multiple images from files has become significantly easier:

Select Multiple Images

After selecting which images to upload, you can make final adjustments to the image names, descriptions, security levels, and adjust which album to save them to:

Manage Upload

Once the uploaded images have been added to the album, it looks like this:

Final Album

← Ctrl← Alt
Next
Ctrl →Alt →

shutter

April 30 2012, 17:30:40 UTC 2 years ago

oh.

ecctv

April 30 2012, 17:44:22 UTC 2 years ago

glitterati

2 years ago

zucci_zookeenee

2 years ago

samjoko

1 year ago

Demi Li

2 years ago

lizzie

April 30 2012, 17:31:47 UTC 2 years ago

LOL fix the RTE copy/paste formatting issue, please!

okay

April 30 2012, 17:32:15 UTC 2 years ago

But.. Subject titles on collapsed threads...

And the jumping back to the first page issue.

ignore the pokemon

david_grana

April 30 2012, 17:47:08 UTC 2 years ago

They're removing mutliple galleries and video support. Is it any surprise that the admins continue to remove useful features and refuse to listen to the understandable criticism when it's delivered?

astronewt

2 years ago

sorion

2 years ago

astronewt

2 years ago

sorion

2 years ago

sorion

2 years ago

genno

2 years ago

dhfunk

2 years ago

xhokahokax

April 30 2012, 17:32:17 UTC 2 years ago

I like it! Keep the amazing work!

elektra_alpha

April 30 2012, 17:33:18 UTC 2 years ago

Fix the timestamp first, won't you?

foureyedgirl

April 30 2012, 17:51:47 UTC 2 years ago

this

banerry

April 30 2012, 17:34:42 UTC 2 years ago

I like this.

sylar

April 30 2012, 17:35:30 UTC 2 years ago

Is it true the new scrapbook has less space than the old one?

oncelikeshari

April 30 2012, 17:46:29 UTC 2 years ago

I'd like this question answered too.

I heard the amount of space is going to be reduced greatly.

astronewt

2 years ago

sylar

2 years ago

Deleted comment

astronewt

2 years ago

red_sunflower

2 years ago

astronewt

2 years ago

Deleted comment

astronewt

2 years ago

tallblue

2 years ago

e_moon60

2 years ago

hpswf1

2 years ago

mrflagg

April 30 2012, 17:35:33 UTC 2 years ago

fix the poll results so it spits them out in vote timestamp order again.

nochick_fics

April 30 2012, 18:46:35 UTC 2 years ago

OMG THIS.

Sooooooo annoying.

nickygabriel

2 years ago

pommedeterre

2 years ago

nickygabriel

2 years ago

scolaro

April 30 2012, 17:35:52 UTC 2 years ago

Once the transfer has completed, all galleries and images will appear and load normally again.

So far that's not correct. There are tons of broken links to my entries, mood themes etc., even though I received the "transfer complete" email. :(

Also, please improve the sorting function, images and galleries are all over the place and there seems to be no way to clean up properly.

karin_woywod

April 30 2012, 21:11:54 UTC 2 years ago

Same here. About half of the pics in the old entries re-direct correctly. The other half are broken links. (I also have received the "transfer complete" e-mail.)

Also, it worries me a little that in my new Scrapbook, it says :

Your rent time is out.

Used 4.21 GB

from 15.00 GB

Your rent time is out. All your images on additional space will be deleted at 0000-00-00. You can:

[item1]
up to 10Gb by pay a storage space
up to 15Gb by upgrade to permanent account

Even though there's no date filled in and the permanent account link leads to the livejournal home, the note shouldn't have come at all, as I have a permanent LJ account.

Love,

- Karin.

write_light

2 years ago

vodkabeforenoon

April 30 2012, 17:35:53 UTC 2 years ago

I don't care about scrap book.

Tell me moar about that time you were planning on updating us when there are problems with the site.

Last week I saw LJ down on and off and there was no updates or anything to tell us what was going on. These sort of bugs is what makes people not care to visit LJ. I notice a huge dip in posts in TQC just because of the bugs. Communication is key to keeping this site from dieing.

nightfalltwen

April 30 2012, 17:56:58 UTC 2 years ago

There were updates on twitter.

vodkabeforenoon

2 years ago

unknownsea

2 years ago

vodkabeforenoon

2 years ago

unknownsea

2 years ago

vodkabeforenoon

2 years ago

nightfalltwen

2 years ago

vodkabeforenoon

2 years ago

nightfalltwen

2 years ago

vodkabeforenoon

2 years ago

nightfalltwen

2 years ago

fieryphoenix

2 years ago

nightfalltwen

2 years ago

fieryphoenix

2 years ago

breezie

2 years ago

darth_eldritch

2 years ago

mokie

2 years ago

kitanabychoice

2 years ago

mokie

2 years ago

thewhiteowl

2 years ago

fieryphoenix

2 years ago

aiki

2 years ago

Deleted comment

nightfalltwen

2 years ago

crysania4

2 years ago

pr1nce55k1tcat

2 years ago

vodkabeforenoon

2 years ago

badninja

2 years ago

zhonnika

April 30 2012, 17:36:48 UTC 2 years ago

There's no reduction in storage space, correct? This is the only thing I care about in regards this whole thing, heh.

astronewt

April 30 2012, 17:50:01 UTC 2 years ago

Just answered that same question on a different comment -- and no, I've seen nothing about lessening storage levels. Everyone's should remain the same, including the presence of the extra storage space add-on.

portisheart

2 years ago

manonon

2 years ago

portisheart

2 years ago

manonon

2 years ago

portisheart

2 years ago

crucified

April 30 2012, 17:39:46 UTC 2 years ago

I see.

xfattyxl

April 30 2012, 17:39:55 UTC 2 years ago

thanks for the heads up x

rionaleonhart

April 30 2012, 17:40:47 UTC 2 years ago

I don't use Scrapbook myself, but it's refreshing to see a post explaining a change you're about to make and why you're going to make it; thank you!

badninja

May 1 2012, 20:08:08 UTC 2 years ago

Seconded.

campylobacter

April 30 2012, 17:40:57 UTC 2 years ago

"There is currently no tagging system in the new photohosting service, so tags you have created in Scrapbook will not be copied to the new service."

HOW DOES THIS FIX "simple usability issues" IF I CANNOT LOCATE 1 PIC AMONG THE ***HUNDREDS*** IN MY SCRAPBOOK GALLERY?

I've meticulously tagged 99.9% of my images. With dozens of SEMANTIC tags. That are shared across 29 galleries. THIS IS NOT AN IMPROVEMENT.

ecctv

April 30 2012, 17:43:25 UTC 2 years ago

Couldn't you just make different galleries instead of tags? Just add a picture to multiple galleries.

esprix

2 years ago

ecctv

2 years ago

campylobacter

2 years ago

ecctv

2 years ago

campylobacter

2 years ago

theidolhands

2 years ago

e_moon60

2 years ago

kelkyag

2 years ago

claireylouisa

April 30 2012, 17:42:03 UTC 2 years ago

So if you set the security to "friends" it will remain friends? I really like this function, I hope it isn't going!

markf

April 30 2012, 17:54:01 UTC 2 years ago

The new system will still support the "Friends" security level, as well as custom friends groups, but these settings will always match your LiveJournal account's friends list or custom friends groups.

The old system has its own security settings which aren't directly connected to a LiveJournal account, and doesn't have a "Friends" security setting. The closest settings it has is an "All groups" option to give access to anyone you have added to a custom friends group in Scrapbook, or the custom group "LJ:all_friends" which is automatically created for you with all your friends added when your Scrapbook was first created. The problem with each of these is that they don't stay synched with your LiveJournal account's friends list or custom friends groups. You can edit the LJ:all_friends group to add or remove people without actually adding or removing them from your friends list.

claireylouisa

2 years ago

azurelunatic

2 years ago

mlady_rebecca

2 years ago

pauamma

2 years ago

czol

April 30 2012, 17:42:39 UTC 2 years ago

This is a rare example of LJ fixing something that is broken, & an overhaul of Scrapbook is long overdue. The interface was non-intuitive & the whole thing looked half-arsed. I always assumed that the existing Scrapbook was meant to just be a temporary measure & would be tweaked, but nothing changed.

But srsly we've told you this before: KEEP PEOPLE INFORMED OF CHANGES YOU'RE ABOUT TO MAKE. And don't give the excuse you're making on Twitter that you've been planning the announcement for ages but were waiting to verify last minute details - the Russians were informed. Admit it, you realised you had another cock-up on your hands & quickly made an announcement before too many people found out.

lilyginny27

April 30 2012, 18:00:48 UTC 2 years ago

iawtc

I've been seeing a translation of the original Russian all over my flist. Everyone's been pretty pissed about it. But the "new" Lj has been pretty heavy-handed in its F*U to everyone overall except their nearest and dearest so I wasn't surprised to know it happened, how it happened, and which people were deliberately left uninformed.

theidolhands

2 years ago

fiddlingfrog

2 years ago

e_moon60

2 years ago

czol

2 years ago

badninja

2 years ago

chloris01

April 30 2012, 17:42:39 UTC 2 years ago

What about the storage space ????

astronewt

April 30 2012, 18:01:30 UTC 2 years ago

Storage levels aren't changing as far as I'm aware -- there's been zero mention of that, nor anything in any of the specs I've seen that discuss altering the space available. I've asked for absolute confirmation of this, just because there seems to be a lot of questions about it.

There's some issues where people are incorrectly trying to access the new service before their Scrapbook has actually been migrated (as in, they're seeing upload buttons where they shouldn't, etc), and these situations are leading to some 'you don't have space' error messages because they haven't actually been migrated yet.

chloris01

2 years ago

saanrio

April 30 2012, 17:43:39 UTC 2 years ago

Seriously?

All of the bugs that have been reported and STILL are not fixed, the fact the site STILL gives some people migraines, the lack of functionality caused by the lack of subject comment lines... and THIS is what you guys are working on?

Seriously?

Fail, LJ. Fail.

mokie

April 30 2012, 21:35:43 UTC 2 years ago

This is a big feature of the site for some people, it's been broken a lot longer than the comments, and if they're doing a complete overhaul, it's likely been in the works for a while now. It's not like, oh, instituting FB rip-off games while Rome burns...

saanrio

2 years ago

midori_kibou

April 30 2012, 17:44:02 UTC 2 years ago

I'd rather you explain me why can't I post comments on the new-styled comment pages without switching to style=mine when on Firefox.

jewelianna

April 30 2012, 21:08:37 UTC 2 years ago

seriously. It's so frustrating.

chaos_genesis

April 30 2012, 17:44:55 UTC 2 years ago

"The new version does not currently allow images to exist in multiple galleries. If you have an image which exists in multiple galleries, it will placed in the first gallery which the image is associated with."

Oh, awesome -_-

"Videos are not supported by the new version of Scrapbook. Any videos which are in your Scrapbook will temporarily remain there. Shortly after the migration occurs, you will be sent a notification which contains instructions on how to download these videos."

Of course not. -_- Yet again LJ thinks removing useful features is paramount to the success of their products.

duskwuff

April 30 2012, 18:36:33 UTC 2 years ago

As far as video goes... I can understand why they're removing it; video is hard to work with, especially if you want to support a wide range of formats, and there's tons of other services which have already done a much better job with it (YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion, etc) than I can imagine LJ could. Better to do a good job on one thing (pictures) than a mediocre job on a dozen things.

azurelunatic

2 years ago

duskwuff

2 years ago

e_moon60

April 30 2012, 17:45:20 UTC 2 years ago

Why isn't there a tagging service in the new Scrapbook (since I spent considerale time tagging images in the old one so I could retrieve specific groups of photos...)?

Is there any way of retrieving the current version of Scrapbook and storing those images locally, gallery by gallery, on my own server? (I have them on the server, but not in the same clusters.)

mokie

April 30 2012, 21:43:32 UTC 2 years ago

The only reasons I could see to take away a useful feature in the fix is that they can't make it work properly, or it interferes with the fix somehow. Since Scrapbook has always been its own beast only marginally connected with LJ, and (if I understand right) the fix changes that, maybe Scrapbook's tagging system is incompatible with LJ and/or its existing tagging system?

I admit it's just a guess, though.

raven_moon

2 years ago

mokie

2 years ago

mokie

2 years ago

esprix

April 30 2012, 17:46:38 UTC 2 years ago

I don't use tagging myself, but that does seem like a no-brainer. Why was it abandoned? No doubt that's going to cause a lot of people grief.

e_moon60

April 30 2012, 19:08:47 UTC 2 years ago

Yeah. And having spent hours tagging photos as I entered them...I'm not thrilled with "well maybe someday we'll reintroduce tags..." At which point I'll have to tag them again.

This was one thing that actually worked--I could send people a reference to Scrapbook as a whole, or to a specific gallery, to a particular image, or tell them what tags to use to pull out all of one taxonomic group or one location. Sent a lot of links that now aren't going to work, dammit.

esprix

2 years ago

reallycorking

2 years ago

lupislune

April 30 2012, 17:47:41 UTC 2 years ago

Why don't you fix the bugs on your site instead of creating things that will of course not function properly!

Your designers must be former employees of Microsoft as you very much embrace the addage, "Let's not fix problems; let's create new ones! Maybe the old ones will just go away, or people will get use to them and stop complaining."

azurelunatic

April 30 2012, 19:08:57 UTC 2 years ago

I work with two former employees of Microsoft, and they are both very diligent and responsible. Next to them I look like the slacker.

lupislune

2 years ago

rubyelf

April 30 2012, 17:49:43 UTC 2 years ago

Why aren't you answering people's questions about whether the amount of storage we paid for will still be available? I paid for extra storage and you guys refuse to answer me whether that extra storage will still be available.

astronewt

April 30 2012, 18:03:15 UTC 2 years ago

No storage levels are changing from anything that I've seen. We've got some issues where people are incorrectly seeing upload buttons for the new service when they actually haven't been migrated yet, and trying to do that (upload to the new service before being migrated) leads to some 'you don't have space' error messages, because the new service doesn't exist yet for that user.

But I've seen nothing that indicates we're actually altering levels for any account type, or removing the option to buy more space, etc.

nightsinger

2 years ago

Previous
← Ctrl← Alt