theljstaff (theljstaff) wrote in news,

LIVEJOURNAL RELEASE 92: NEW SITE UPDATES AND MORE

May 23, 2012 - The official LiveJournal Release 92 has been deployed. Here’s what you’ll find in this latest site update:

NEW
  • Particularly long comment threads now collapse with the alert “...and [#] more comments.” Just click on that alert to see the rest of the comments. Here’s what this looks like:

  • Notification emails now hide any content that was already placed inside an lj-cut instead of displaying the entire entry.

  • Social Capital is now displayed for all communities on the profile page.

  • You can now embed the Spotify player into your journal or community style.

  • Personal userheads are now available for purchase. A personal userhead is of your own design and is unique to you, unavailable to anyone else. Purchase as many personal userheads as you like; each costs 5,000 LJ FunBux™, and is good for five years. Learn more.

BUGS, FIXED
  • Scheduled entries should no longer return errors or double-post.

  • Domain mapping should no longer force redirection to the LiveJournal login page.

  • The format=light URL modifier works on entry pages again.

  • Comment notification emails will send even if the entry has a poll.

  • The "Music" section on the edit entries page will let you delete the entire text field.

  • The help link next to “Do not add to friends pages and RSS” on the update page now links to the correct FAQ.

  • The list of journals and communities added by default for new users has changed to news and lj_releases for non-Cyrillic users.

  • Missing navigation items in the Classic journal style have re-appeared.

  • Notifications about expiring add-ons will now have correct subject lines.

  • The bold/italic/strikethrough buttons in the site default commenting scheme should no longer cause cursor positioning problems in Chrome.

  • The Calendar feature will now update properly when you edit an entry and change its date.

PLANNED PARENTHOOD: HELP WITH A VGIFT!
Join us in standing up for reproductive health and education. Through the end of the month, you can send a specially designed Planned Parenthood vgift to your LiveJournal friends to help support this cause. (And if you need someone to send it to frank is always happy to receive gifts!). There are three variations for you to choose from ($1, $5 and $10), but they’d all look good on your profile. Thank you for your support! Learn more.

- The LiveJournal Team

← Ctrl← Alt
Next
Ctrl →Alt →

outoftime

May 23 2012, 07:48:56 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  May 23 2012, 07:49:38 UTC

Not in love with the changes.

Oh but yay to the comment notification on poll posts though.

Demi Li

July 13 2012, 06:21:42 UTC 2 years ago

____________AgeLessHookUp.С○М______________

Call me sougar. Hot and sexy beautiful rich woman. I joined a nice place for hot and sexy beautiful rich woman with big booty, seeking for sugar babies! Wanna to talk with you here or face-to-face chat and even more!

____________AgeLessHookUp.С○М______________

okay

May 23 2012, 07:49:13 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  May 23 2012, 07:59:20 UTC

It's nearly 1 am... What makes a thread "particularly long"? Also, is that $50 for a userhead??

Ignore the pokemon

alyssa_hilary

May 23 2012, 10:51:18 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  May 23 2012, 10:52:24 UTC

No I think it's $5 a userhead.

nvm saw a few comments down and it's def. $50 a userhead. wtf.

totheleft

2 years ago

alyssa_hilary

2 years ago

totheleft

2 years ago

sarahcb1208

2 years ago

alyssa_hilary

2 years ago

kayleechats

6 months ago

kethryvis

2 years ago

neapeaikea

May 23 2012, 07:50:10 UTC 2 years ago

viewing this on my flist, the text is stretched out and I can't see all of it. format fail?

neapeaikea

May 23 2012, 07:52:14 UTC 2 years ago

kudos though, on the planned parenthood thing, a great cause!

lady_tigerlily

May 23 2012, 09:13:24 UTC 2 years ago

Ditto

carmy_w

2 years ago

rocks_not_dead

May 23 2012, 07:53:50 UTC 2 years ago

Waht are you going to do about how often the site goes down?

candream

May 23 2012, 14:57:51 UTC 2 years ago

A M E N !

hoggle2807

2 years ago

quirkytizzy

2 years ago

rhiannon_666

2 years ago

osocky

May 23 2012, 07:58:24 UTC 2 years ago

Huh, interesting.

So, when's the social capital thing coming for individual users? And is this getting rolled out slowly for different communities or are some not currently eligible? (I've got a couple where it doesn't show up and I'm curious to see it.)

I like the idea of personal userheads, a bit pricey for me, but neat idea.

fiddlingfrog

May 23 2012, 10:57:23 UTC 2 years ago

Technically all users already have social capital, it's just not displayed unless you're using Cyrillic services. I imagine it'll be displayed for everyone inside a couple months.

osocky

2 years ago

greenlady2

2 years ago

ozqueen

May 23 2012, 07:58:38 UTC 2 years ago

Have the broken polls in flexible squares been fixed yet? :)

Also, I would still really, REALLY love an explanation on why comment subject headers were taken away. I stil don't understand why we can't have them on the default comment page :(

sircaliban

May 23 2012, 11:39:42 UTC 2 years ago

I had to edit the css (and upload a custom css file) in order to get the polls to appear properly in my journal.

dark_puck

2 years ago

bookishgeek

May 23 2012, 07:59:02 UTC 2 years ago

$50 for a userhead that isn't even permanent?! What.

okay

May 23 2012, 08:01:11 UTC 2 years ago

yeah considering how a regular userhead is only $2 for a whole year, paying 25x the price for 5x the time isn't even worth it, no matter how special it'd be.

sharks_teeth

2 years ago

cloex_brosluvr

May 23 2012, 08:01:21 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  May 23 2012, 08:04:13 UTC

Do you have broken ljcut or is something messed up again? You have (Read More) like an lj-cut but the rest is not behind the cut because it shows up on my flist anyway.

ETA: see?

sharks_teeth

May 23 2012, 08:04:15 UTC 2 years ago

I don't understand why you can't make these thread/entry shortening tools opt-in. Not everyone wants everything snipped ffs.

gwylliondream

May 23 2012, 11:11:53 UTC 2 years ago

+1

arethinn

2 years ago

wednesday42

2 years ago

lysanatt

May 23 2012, 08:15:49 UTC 2 years ago

Make all this shit opt-in. I don't want social capital ratings on my comms or collapsed threads anywhere. Do you never learn?

Any news on the subject/preview/old-lay-out page? No, I didn't think so. Rather give people crap they don't want.

someplacetobe

May 23 2012, 14:18:44 UTC 2 years ago

Make all this shit opt-in.
I don't want social capital ratings on my comms or collapsed threads anywhere.

Neither do I. I'd prefer if it was opt-in.

tarafishes

2 years ago

tsgeisel

May 23 2012, 08:18:58 UTC 2 years ago

Y'know, a free userhead for permanent folks would be a nice touch.

Just sayin'.

totheleft

May 23 2012, 10:55:00 UTC 2 years ago

they're already losing money on permanent accounts.. why would they randomly choose to lose $50? lol

tsgeisel

2 years ago

quirkytizzy

2 years ago

dr_phil_physics

2 years ago

eowyn

2 years ago

stefanyeah

May 23 2012, 08:27:35 UTC 2 years ago

Now… that Social Capital sounds kinda useless to me…

bart_calendar

May 23 2012, 08:29:48 UTC 2 years ago

Is there anyway to get the social capital for a user account - since the FAQ says the social capital is being calculated for all accounts?

fiddlingfrog

May 23 2012, 11:00:02 UTC 2 years ago

If you're curious, turn on Cyrillic Services and have a look at your profile.

aviv_b

2 years ago

fiddlingfrog

2 years ago

aviv_b

2 years ago

quirkytizzy

2 years ago

dawnnamira

May 23 2012, 08:34:50 UTC 2 years ago

If you're insisting on not sending us back to the comments we just made (again, by the way), can you please fucking bring back the preview function?

This collapsing comment threads thing could be nice but your implementation sucks as usual.

ladyofmarvel

May 23 2012, 12:49:39 UTC 2 years ago

I will never not enjoy seeing you post on here with that icon.

And agreed.

soph

2 years ago

dawnnamira

2 years ago

soph

2 years ago

toda

2 years ago

abeautifullie3

May 23 2012, 08:39:51 UTC 2 years ago

I normally don't complain too much about LJ bugs-glitches-etc, but I kinda have to roll my eyes that you announce a new release....just hours after my ability to post a journal entry goes entirely wonky. A friend was trying to post as well, and his bugged out too. I told him most likely something else had been "fixed" or changed, and that's why it went to hell.

Right now when I try to post, there is no "Rich Text" or "HTML" options, and the only buttons I have are to add photo or media. No font options, LJ user, cut, link, etc. Other things are messed up as well.
I'm really hoping you folks are aware of this issue, and it's fixed soon. I'm a paid user who was planning on opening a 2nd paid account, but...well, it would be really nice to be able to post to them.

fiddlingfrog

May 23 2012, 11:02:03 UTC 2 years ago

What you're seeing is common when the JavaScript for the post an entry page fails to load properly. Clear your browser cache, wait an hour or so, and if it hasn't improved then open up a support request. Also, make sure that nothing has changed with JavaScript and that livejournal.com is still listed as a trusted site.

abeautifullie3

2 years ago

markf

2 years ago

abeautifullie3

2 years ago

etacanis

May 23 2012, 08:45:41 UTC 2 years ago

I really don't understand the point of the social capital thing. Does anyone actually care?

sacky_xxx_iii

May 23 2012, 17:18:30 UTC 2 years ago

Other than advertisers?

Oh, and I *still* can't comment here unless I put "&style=mine" on the URL and reload.

soph

2 years ago

sacky_xxx_iii

2 years ago

vic_vega66

May 23 2012, 08:57:37 UTC 2 years ago

What's social capital? Is like that Klout thing on twitter, which Ive never used and never will.

$50/31£ for a custom mast-head, you're having a larf, for that price Id expect it to make me a bacon sandwich and a cup of tea every morning.

pierhias

May 23 2012, 09:23:41 UTC 2 years ago

XD I'd buy it for the bacon sandwich every morning!

dorsetgirl

2 years ago

fiddlingfrog

2 years ago

vic_vega66

2 years ago

nursedarry

2 years ago

vic_vega66

2 years ago

tallblue

May 23 2012, 09:00:38 UTC 2 years ago

Does this social capital thing have to do with the ads you are planing on adding to the users or community pages, the one where the journal owners chooses the ad for money or credits? or something like that. I could not tell nothing is in English for us, we have to translate with google to get a hint.

I remember the days LJ supported the English speaking users.

fiddlingfrog

May 23 2012, 11:07:05 UTC 2 years ago

From what I could tell, igrick did mention that if you chose to put the promo-block in your journal you'd be able to set a social capital threshold in order for people to be able to bid on it.

tallblue

2 years ago

sodoesrachael

2 years ago

igrovit

May 23 2012, 09:05:03 UTC 2 years ago

От, бля... Опять простынка на англицком приехала (

vickysg1

May 23 2012, 09:12:13 UTC 2 years ago

Quick question: I'm in the Boxer style, and usually I have icons for #comments, reply, edit... Now, I just have the text. Is that a glitch?

dudski

May 23 2012, 11:43:03 UTC 2 years ago

Same here, the image URLs aren't working so the layout's just displaying the alt text.

haldoor

May 23 2012, 09:14:55 UTC 2 years ago

Notification emails now hide any content that was already placed inside an lj-cut instead of displaying the entire entry. Rather liked seeing what people were responding to; bad memory. Can we opt out of the new version?

ksol1460

May 27 2012, 18:06:54 UTC 2 years ago

This.

creativecstasy

May 23 2012, 09:18:25 UTC 2 years ago

Two problems here.

1. Your LJ-cut is broken. You didn't actually hide anything behind the link.

2. When I click to expand, it used to expand dynamically, keeping the entire thread and all other comments visible simultaneously. Now, it expands by loading an entirely new page with just those handful of comments and nothing else. Sad panda.

fiddlingfrog

May 23 2012, 11:09:45 UTC 2 years ago

2) That's a common side effect of JavaScript not loading right. Check your browser settings to see if anything has changed and to make sure that livejournal.com is still listed as a trusted site. Clear your browser cache, give it an hour or so, and if you're still having trouble then open up a Support request.

moms_favorite

May 23 2012, 09:22:42 UTC 2 years ago

Sometimes, I really really really wish I could turn off the "features" or at least block a community that I didn't need to see

madfilkentist

May 23 2012, 09:29:07 UTC 2 years ago

Social capital. A way to turn LJ into a popularity contest. Do not want.

I don't need LJ picking my causes for me, even when I agree with them.

LJ is making me steadily less impressed.

gossamera

May 23 2012, 09:31:52 UTC 2 years ago

it's like they're going to keep copying facebook
and why not right?
all about business, not us
it already feels like a popularity contest and it's so easy to guess what'll impress

sacky_xxx_iii

2 years ago

sarcasticval

2 years ago