theljstaff (theljstaff) wrote in news,

LIVEJOURNAL RELEASE 93: NEW FEATURES, SITE UPDATES, BUG FIXES

June 18, 2012: The official LiveJournal Release 93 is now live. Following are the new features, updates and bug fixes you'll find in this latest site update:

NEW FEATURES

CAPTCHA -- the "prove you are a human" test -- will no longer display for LiveJournal members who have reached above a certain level of Social Capital. Note that while Social Capital does not display for members who do not have Cyrillic Services enabled, a background calculation is still implemented for every account. This means that if you have an active, well-established account, you should no longer see CAPTCHAs on the site while logged in, even in entries with 5,000-plus comments, or in journals that have opted to display CAPTCHAs to everyone.

REPOST -- There is now a new way to repost entries. This feature can be selected in the LJ-Like menu in the Rich Text Editor, or by entering <lj-like buttons="repost" /> into the HTML editor. If the original entry author has used this new <lj-like> method of including a repost button, reposting that entry will display in your latest entries as a post by the user who originally posted the entry. If multiple people on your friends list repost the same entry that was created with this new method, only one instance of it will appear on your friends page. All links, including commenting options, will point to the original entry, and the number of times an entry has been reposted will display next to the button. The repost button that is created when this method is used looks like this:

 repost

The entry which is reposted will retain the security settings of the original entry. If someone posts an entry at a Friends Only security level and opts to include the repost button, only friends of the original author will be able to see the re-posted entry. This will prevent anyone who has previously included an <lj-like> tag in their post from unintentionally exposing their entry to users they have not added as friends on LiveJournal.

Note: This feature does not replace the existing <lj-repost> feature which acts as if it were an entry posted by the person using the repost feature. No changes have been made to the way using <lj-repost> functions or displays.

COMMUNITY EMAIL -- This feature lets community owners and maintainers send an email to all members of the community, provided the community is a paid or permanent account. The option for Community Email appears at http://www.livejournal.com/community/manage.bml for community maintainers and owners, which serves as a link to the page where you can email community members. There is a limit of one emailing per day for any community, and opt-out information is automatically included in every email sent.

Over the past month, LiveJournal has added NEW JOURNAL STYLES. Check out the updated list of Featured Styles on http://www.livejournal.com/customize/

FIXED BUGS
  • The warning about paid time/storage space running out in Scrapbook will only display when you are actually near your storage limit or your paid/extra storage space time is about to expire.
  • Posting a comment with the quick reply form in S2 comment pages should properly return you to the newly posted comment.
  • If an OpenID account has commented to an entry, and that account has been purged or converted to a normal account, it will no longer cause the entry to display Error 500.
  • The S1 Magazine style no longer displays extra text like "<=LASTN_EVENT_PROTECTED" at the top of the page.
- The LiveJournal Team

release93_2

← Ctrl← Alt
Next
Ctrl →Alt →

flamingtoilet

June 19 2012, 12:59:32 UTC 2 years ago

Well, yay I guess for giving long-time users a way past the captcha.

Now I'm going to leave before someone mentions subject lines.

lafinjack

June 20 2012, 02:03:32 UTC 2 years ago

SUBJECT LINES

c_eagle

2 years ago

lafinjack

2 years ago

kayleechats

10 months ago

Demi Li

2 years ago

thagirion

June 19 2012, 13:03:39 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  June 19 2012, 13:07:32 UTC

I have custom user heads on my journal and today the defaults started showing up over them for communites and personal journals. It's like they are layered on top of each other. I like my little budgie head on my journal. Could you please fix this for those of us that have custom heads.
Oh and I LOVE the new layout with the pumpkin. I think that will be perfect for my Cucurbitaceae community which is about pumpkins, gourds and luffas.

fencer_x

June 19 2012, 13:18:58 UTC 2 years ago

Ditto; could probably find a workaround for the new method, but it's late and I've had a long day and someone else will probably do it for me. It's damn annoying though.

finnickodair

2 years ago

fencer_x

2 years ago

finnickodair

2 years ago

slinkslowdown

June 19 2012, 13:04:11 UTC 2 years ago

I already filed a support ticket for this, I'm mentioning it here to see if it's affected anyone else.

I'm no longer seeing community names on my Friends Page. This entry just reads as being posted by theljstaff, there's no news beneath it like there always has been. This is really inconvenient, since I can no longer tell what entries are being posted where, I only see usernames.

flamingtoilet

June 19 2012, 13:13:05 UTC 2 years ago

Fine on my flist. Might be a glitch with your style.

makowe_pola

2 years ago

coffeechica

2 years ago

slinkslowdown

2 years ago

lunetimide

June 19 2012, 13:05:02 UTC 2 years ago

I would like to ask a question about paid accounts. Do you know where I can do this?

slinkslowdown

June 19 2012, 13:06:24 UTC 2 years ago

File a Support Ticket. http://www.livejournal.com/support/submit.bml

kipelovna

June 19 2012, 13:09:54 UTC 2 years ago

Thanks, great idea to remove CAPTCHAs!

scifishipper

June 19 2012, 13:13:45 UTC 2 years ago

:::::::::::::::: SUBJECT LINES ARE STILL DISAPPEARING ON COLLAPSE ::::::::::::::::::::::

Please bring our subject lines back. Fic writers need those subject lines. Release after release and nothing has been mentioned about this topic which affects users every single day. Please fix it! Please listen to your community of writers.

lysanatt

June 19 2012, 13:46:12 UTC 2 years ago

+1

lanthirel

2 years ago

coffeechica

2 years ago

pmpe

2 years ago

astronewt

2 years ago

dark_puck

June 19 2012, 13:18:30 UTC 2 years ago

....subject lines....?

cellio

June 19 2012, 13:20:53 UTC 2 years ago

With the repost change, will it no longer be possible for me to know which of my friends is passing the post along? Sometimes that matters.

fiddlingfrog

June 19 2012, 21:21:16 UTC 2 years ago

In my style (Expressive) a repost done with the new method looks like this:
Subject line
date | reposted by friend

Then it shows the userpic and username of the original author, alongside the text of the entry and the repost button/counter. Beneath all that is a link to the original entry in place of the comment, read comments, etc... links.

cellio

2 years ago

makowe_pola

June 19 2012, 13:20:57 UTC 2 years ago

This is how my entire f-list looks like now. As annoying as it is, it's kinda funny, cos I wonder what's written in each speech bubble for each user. Wait, no, it's more annoying than funny.

finnickodair

June 19 2012, 13:24:11 UTC 2 years ago

There's a fix for the CSS in the comments here.

makowe_pola

2 years ago

coffeechica

2 years ago

makowe_pola

2 years ago

htbthomas

June 19 2012, 13:21:09 UTC 2 years ago

What is the "certain level of Social Capital" to reach to avoid CAPTCHA?

justbolognese

June 19 2012, 13:31:49 UTC 2 years ago

It shows like this: "Social capital: <10 " on my profile and I've been a regular user since 2006. Haven't tried to comment on any LJ with capcha though but I suppose I wouldn't need to fill them anymore.

jenna_marianne

2 years ago

coffeechica

2 years ago

pmpe

2 years ago

htbthomas

2 years ago

thistle_chaser

2 years ago

htbthomas

2 years ago

jenna_marianne

2 years ago

thistle_chaser

2 years ago

pmpe

2 years ago

malkhos

June 19 2012, 13:22:12 UTC 2 years ago

So, you can re-post other people's posts, if they include special html to allow you to so so? how wonderful.

Why doesn't LJ address some issues of basic functionality that have needed correction for years, For instance, why is it impossible to post an entry to your own journal, and simultaneously to one or more groups? Lack of imagination, I suppose.

acciochocolate

June 19 2012, 14:35:45 UTC 2 years ago

Yes, that would be helpful!

Also, I have noticed that recently, LJ no longer saves the code for the entry when one hits the back button after making a post. I've learned to do a C&P on my coded entry.

werewolf_hacker

2 years ago

acciochocolate

2 years ago

kurikuribebi

2 years ago

nochick_fics

2 years ago

lone_defender

2 years ago

casrin

June 19 2012, 13:23:52 UTC 2 years ago

So happy to see new layouts at last! :)

scolaro

June 19 2012, 13:35:43 UTC 2 years ago

Nice fixes. Something you didn't mention, but was done today as well is a Scrapbook fix: pages don't show only 12 albums anymore. Thank you very much for that, I found it extremely annoying!

Now I hope the other bugs will be fixed as well, and we'll soon be able to sort albums and photos to our liking.

TRUE..

13masquerade

June 19 2012, 14:51:36 UTC 2 years ago

@scolaro..i so agree on the scrapbook..ANN-O-YING!!!:(

bychoice

2 years ago

kel_reiley

2 years ago

neapeaikea

June 19 2012, 13:36:32 UTC 2 years ago

Yeah, I too am seeing the defualt userheads/community icon on top of the designed ones for my style. Hope you solve that quickly!

And while we're not on the subject.... How about them subject lines? I for one would like them back. Thanks!

lyuna

June 19 2012, 13:36:49 UTC 2 years ago

So, subject lines?
I do like the idea of removing captcha though

featherfire

June 19 2012, 13:38:08 UTC 2 years ago

So, am I just being oblivious? Where does the social capital rating show up for users? I've seen it on communities, but I can't find it on my own profile...

hermyfan

June 19 2012, 13:43:05 UTC 2 years ago

It should be on your profile, just below where it says your account status (paid, permanent etc.) You need to have Cyrillic services enabled though, so you may not have done that yet. Go account, settings, display and the option is last on the list. Enable, and go to your profile - mine showed up right away after I did that, so I'm thinking that that's the problem. :)

featherfire

2 years ago

hermyfan

June 19 2012, 13:48:46 UTC 2 years ago

Getting rid of captcha is a great idea, but why only make it available to people who use Cyrillic services? I'd like to remove Captcha but literally have zero use for the rest of Cyrillic services, especially the annoying LJTimes toolbar at the bottom of the screen. Is there a way to opt into Cyrillic but get rid of the toolbar? Also, what is the 'certain amount' of social capita needed to get rid of the captcha in the first place? I feel like this is a lot of effort to get rid of a minor inconvenience...

lanthirel

June 19 2012, 13:55:52 UTC 2 years ago

Agree totally with this comment.

slinkslowdown

2 years ago

hermyfan

2 years ago

scarybaldguy

2 years ago

slinkslowdown

2 years ago

sophiaserpentia

2 years ago

lone_defender

2 years ago

lysanatt

June 19 2012, 13:49:52 UTC 2 years ago

"If you use the repost button to post another person's entry to your journal, it will now display in your latest entries as a post by the user who originally posted the entry. "

You obviously are out of your mind. If this madness persists, my guess is that DW will have yet another influx of members.

sparrowlicious

June 19 2012, 14:03:51 UTC 2 years ago

Sounds like tumblr ... just different?

lysanatt

2 years ago

navaan

2 years ago

piratesswoop

2 years ago

lone_defender

2 years ago

demeter

June 19 2012, 13:52:30 UTC 2 years ago

Anyone else not getting comment notifications (at all)? Also, I tried that little code fix for the userheads linked to in the comments before mine, but it didn't work... :/

anais_pf

June 19 2012, 14:00:17 UTC 2 years ago

Me. There is at least one comment on my most recent entry, for which I have not received notification.

slinkslowdown

2 years ago

lanthirel

June 19 2012, 13:55:14 UTC 2 years ago

All the other stuff is fine, thanks, but I really dislike the repost idea.

moonchildfairy

June 19 2012, 17:59:45 UTC 2 years ago

This. I so much agree.

chordatesrock

1 year ago

sparrowlicious

June 19 2012, 13:59:55 UTC 2 years ago

When will the livejournal open ID work properly again with all open ID pages? /: I still can't access my texts on 750words.

coffeechica

June 19 2012, 14:31:28 UTC 2 years ago

Hm, we fixed it for a bunch of locations but I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working with 750words. Would you mind opening a support request and let us know the error message you're getting from them? That would help us investigate.

sparrowlicious

2 years ago

ksol1460

2 years ago

scarybaldguy

June 19 2012, 14:14:57 UTC 2 years ago

Meanwhile, Scrapbook is still FUBAR.

sorion

June 19 2012, 14:17:05 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  June 19 2012, 14:18:00 UTC

I will not notice any of those changes, since I hardly use LJ anymore except for a random comment on a friend's post every now and again. The reason for that would be that your comment page still gives me a headache, and you still do not have comment headers (and let's not get into the Scrapbook migration), ergo, your service is pretty useless.

Why fix "bugs" when the service is inherently flawed because of a so-called "overhaul" that fucked everything up? I don't care about the bugs; they're no more than minor inconveniences, while the actual flaws render your site effectively unusable for me.

girlofavalon

June 19 2012, 14:39:59 UTC 2 years ago

I don't mean to be annoying or anything, but I've heard about the new comments page causing headache and migraines on some people, and... I don't quite get it. It looks exactly like the old version to me, except for the aggravating lack of subject lines. :S

sorion

2 years ago

helva2260

2 years ago

mpoetess

June 19 2012, 14:20:46 UTC 2 years ago

//Posting a comment with the quick reply form in S2 comment pages should properly return you to the newly posted comment.//

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

This has been one of the top 3 issues for roleplayers in large posts since R89 (the problem has existed for longer, but before R89 we could avoid it by using the default S1 comments). I'm overjoyed to see it fixed.

(The remaining issues with S2 comments being that threads over 100 comments long still "break" the page so that any threads below it don't display, and the disappearance of subject lines in collapsed threads.)

taradiane

June 19 2012, 17:06:53 UTC 2 years ago

+1

lone_defender

2 years ago

mpoetess

2 years ago

girlofavalon

June 19 2012, 14:22:16 UTC 2 years ago

"If you use the repost button to post another person's entry to your journal, it will now display in your latest entries as a post by the user who originally posted the entry."

I don't understand. Does it mean that if I repost someone else's entry, it's going to appear in my latest entry not as an entry of mine, but as an entry by the OP in my journal? If so, how does this even make sense?

Deleted comment

girlofavalon

2 years ago

pmpe