LIVEJOURNAL RELEASE 93: NEW FEATURES, SITE UPDATES, BUG FIXES

June 18, 2012: The official LiveJournal Release 93 is now live. Following are the new features, updates and bug fixes you'll find in this latest site update:

NEW FEATURES

CAPTCHA -- the "prove you are a human" test -- will no longer display for LiveJournal members who have reached above a certain level of Social Capital. Note that while Social Capital does not display for members who do not have Cyrillic Services enabled, a background calculation is still implemented for every account. This means that if you have an active, well-established account, you should no longer see CAPTCHAs on the site while logged in, even in entries with 5,000-plus comments, or in journals that have opted to display CAPTCHAs to everyone.

REPOST -- There is now a new way to repost entries. This feature can be selected in the LJ-Like menu in the Rich Text Editor, or by entering <lj-like buttons="repost" /> into the HTML editor. If the original entry author has used this new <lj-like> method of including a repost button, reposting that entry will display in your latest entries as a post by the user who originally posted the entry. If multiple people on your friends list repost the same entry that was created with this new method, only one instance of it will appear on your friends page. All links, including commenting options, will point to the original entry, and the number of times an entry has been reposted will display next to the button. The repost button that is created when this method is used looks like this:

 repost

The entry which is reposted will retain the security settings of the original entry. If someone posts an entry at a Friends Only security level and opts to include the repost button, only friends of the original author will be able to see the re-posted entry. This will prevent anyone who has previously included an <lj-like> tag in their post from unintentionally exposing their entry to users they have not added as friends on LiveJournal.

Note: This feature does not replace the existing <lj-repost> feature which acts as if it were an entry posted by the person using the repost feature. No changes have been made to the way using <lj-repost> functions or displays.

COMMUNITY EMAIL -- This feature lets community owners and maintainers send an email to all members of the community, provided the community is a paid or permanent account. The option for Community Email appears at http://www.livejournal.com/community/manage.bml for community maintainers and owners, which serves as a link to the page where you can email community members. There is a limit of one emailing per day for any community, and opt-out information is automatically included in every email sent.

Over the past month, LiveJournal has added NEW JOURNAL STYLES. Check out the updated list of Featured Styles on http://www.livejournal.com/customize/

FIXED BUGS
  • The warning about paid time/storage space running out in Scrapbook will only display when you are actually near your storage limit or your paid/extra storage space time is about to expire.
  • Posting a comment with the quick reply form in S2 comment pages should properly return you to the newly posted comment.
  • If an OpenID account has commented to an entry, and that account has been purged or converted to a normal account, it will no longer cause the entry to display Error 500.
  • The S1 Magazine style no longer displays extra text like "<=LASTN_EVENT_PROTECTED" at the top of the page.
- The LiveJournal Team

release93_2

Well, yay I guess for giving long-time users a way past the captcha.

Now I'm going to leave before someone mentions subject lines.
SUBJECT LINES

c_eagle

5 years ago

lafinjack

5 years ago

kayleechats

3 years ago

Demi Li

5 years ago

thagirion

June 19 2012, 13:03:39 UTC 5 years ago Edited:  June 19 2012, 13:07:32 UTC

I have custom user heads on my journal and today the defaults started showing up over them for communites and personal journals. It's like they are layered on top of each other. I like my little budgie head on my journal. Could you please fix this for those of us that have custom heads.
Oh and I LOVE the new layout with the pumpkin. I think that will be perfect for my Cucurbitaceae community which is about pumpkins, gourds and luffas.
Ditto; could probably find a workaround for the new method, but it's late and I've had a long day and someone else will probably do it for me. It's damn annoying though.

finnickodair

5 years ago

fencer_x

5 years ago

finnickodair

5 years ago

I already filed a support ticket for this, I'm mentioning it here to see if it's affected anyone else.

I'm no longer seeing community names on my Friends Page. This entry just reads as being posted by theljstaff, there's no news beneath it like there always has been. This is really inconvenient, since I can no longer tell what entries are being posted where, I only see usernames.
Fine on my flist. Might be a glitch with your style.

makowe_pola

5 years ago

coffeechica

5 years ago

slinkslowdown

5 years ago

I would like to ask a question about paid accounts. Do you know where I can do this?
Thanks, great idea to remove CAPTCHAs!
:::::::::::::::: SUBJECT LINES ARE STILL DISAPPEARING ON COLLAPSE ::::::::::::::::::::::

Please bring our subject lines back. Fic writers need those subject lines. Release after release and nothing has been mentioned about this topic which affects users every single day. Please fix it! Please listen to your community of writers.

+1

lanthirel

5 years ago

coffeechica

5 years ago

pmpe

5 years ago

astronewt

5 years ago

....subject lines....?
With the repost change, will it no longer be possible for me to know which of my friends is passing the post along? Sometimes that matters.
In my style (Expressive) a repost done with the new method looks like this:
Subject line
date | reposted by friend

Then it shows the userpic and username of the original author, alongside the text of the entry and the repost button/counter. Beneath all that is a link to the original entry in place of the comment, read comments, etc... links.

cellio

5 years ago

This is how my entire f-list looks like now. As annoying as it is, it's kinda funny, cos I wonder what's written in each speech bubble for each user. Wait, no, it's more annoying than funny.
There's a fix for the CSS in the comments here.

makowe_pola

5 years ago

coffeechica

5 years ago

makowe_pola

5 years ago

What is the "certain level of Social Capital" to reach to avoid CAPTCHA?
It shows like this: "Social capital: <10 " on my profile and I've been a regular user since 2006. Haven't tried to comment on any LJ with capcha though but I suppose I wouldn't need to fill them anymore.

jenna_marianne

5 years ago

coffeechica

5 years ago

pmpe

5 years ago

htbthomas

5 years ago

thistle_chaser

5 years ago

htbthomas

5 years ago

jenna_marianne

5 years ago

thistle_chaser

5 years ago

pmpe

5 years ago

So, you can re-post other people's posts, if they include special html to allow you to so so? how wonderful.

Why doesn't LJ address some issues of basic functionality that have needed correction for years, For instance, why is it impossible to post an entry to your own journal, and simultaneously to one or more groups? Lack of imagination, I suppose.
Yes, that would be helpful!

Also, I have noticed that recently, LJ no longer saves the code for the entry when one hits the back button after making a post. I've learned to do a C&P on my coded entry.

werewolf_hacker

5 years ago

acciochocolate

5 years ago

kurikuribebi

5 years ago

nochick_fics

5 years ago

lone_defender

5 years ago

So happy to see new layouts at last! :)
Nice fixes. Something you didn't mention, but was done today as well is a Scrapbook fix: pages don't show only 12 albums anymore. Thank you very much for that, I found it extremely annoying!

Now I hope the other bugs will be fixed as well, and we'll soon be able to sort albums and photos to our liking.
@scolaro..i so agree on the scrapbook..ANN-O-YING!!!:(

bychoice

5 years ago

kel_reiley

5 years ago

Yeah, I too am seeing the defualt userheads/community icon on top of the designed ones for my style. Hope you solve that quickly!

And while we're not on the subject.... How about them subject lines? I for one would like them back. Thanks!
So, subject lines?
I do like the idea of removing captcha though