theljstaff (theljstaff) wrote in news,

LiveJournal not affected by Heartbleed

Dear users,

As you might have heard, a major vulnerability in SSL (the secure channel used for HTTPS) has been detected recently. As many as two thirds of internet sites were affected, including social networks and major web sites.

We are happy to confirm that LiveJournal is not vulnerable and has not been affected at all.

Meanwhile, in the past 12 months we have been working hard to deploy many security features to protect user data.

Nevertheless, even though LiveJournal was not affected by the Heartbleed bug, changing your password is still a good idea, especially if you use similar passwords on other sites whose data may have been compromised. If you haven't changed your password in the last year, we recommend that you do so now.

← Ctrl← Alt
Next
Ctrl →Alt →

smashbros

April 18 2014, 14:10:46 UTC 8 months ago

Off-topic, but will LiveJournal be selling Permanent Accounts again in the future?

slinkslowdown

April 18 2014, 15:06:52 UTC 8 months ago

From http://www.livejournal.com/support/faq/38.html#permanent:

Although Permanent Accounts have been infrequently sold in the past, they are not guaranteed to be sold in the future

smashbros

8 months ago

slinkslowdown

8 months ago

charliemc

8 months ago

achacunsagloire

8 months ago

musicpsych

8 months ago

achacunsagloire

8 months ago

charliemc

5 months ago

heyurs

April 18 2014, 14:13:28 UTC 8 months ago

Great news! Thank you. :)

backups

kylecassidy

April 18 2014, 14:20:20 UTC 8 months ago

I hope installing a mechanism that backs up user data is a part of the roll out. With some users having more than a decade of journal history it's important to know that can't be wiped out by a spammer guessing a password.

Re: backups

fub

April 18 2014, 14:23:29 UTC 8 months ago

I'm pretty sure LJ does have backups. But you can make a backup of your posts and comments yourself as well. It's actually a FAQ.

I use ljdump.py myself for ease of use.

Re: backups

kylecassidy

8 months ago

nohwhere_man

8 months ago

tabaqui

8 months ago

azurelunatic

8 months ago

achacunsagloire

8 months ago

scarletwildfire

April 18 2014, 14:26:28 UTC 8 months ago

thank you for letting us know. :)

clarionromance

April 18 2014, 14:31:47 UTC 8 months ago

That's good to hear. I'm not majorly worried about the bug.

char_usa

April 18 2014, 14:34:22 UTC 8 months ago

Thanks for the information. I changed my password~!

shirebound

April 18 2014, 15:05:55 UTC 8 months ago

Thank you very much for this message.

pronker

April 18 2014, 15:21:26 UTC 8 months ago

Thanks for the update. Us computer illiterates appreciate it.

alexia_drake

April 18 2014, 15:36:39 UTC 8 months ago

Awesome news :D

tuesdaeschild

April 18 2014, 15:53:20 UTC 8 months ago

Good to know. Thank you.

limoraviv

April 18 2014, 16:03:58 UTC 8 months ago Edited:  April 18 2014, 16:04:51 UTC

I will be happy if you will aid me and help me to exchange the password, I am not successful to exchange signal and I will not remember what is the old password.

glowing_dragon

April 18 2014, 16:14:19 UTC 8 months ago

Good to know!

achacunsagloire

April 18 2014, 16:18:17 UTC 8 months ago

Thanks for the heads-up. I'd heard there was a virus going around, but I didn't know it was this bad.

relsqui

April 30 2014, 08:47:03 UTC 8 months ago

Maybe someone's already pointed this out by now, but just in case ...

It's not a virus. The actual software which is widely used to secure connections between servers and clients (the thing that puts the "s" in "https," the thing that might make your browser pop up a little "locked" icon to tell you you're safe) had a bug in it. No one did anything on purpose that made it happen, no bad people created the problem (although certainly some are taking advantage of it); it was just an error in a piece of code which is very widely used for a very important purpose.

achacunsagloire

8 months ago

52vadim

April 18 2014, 16:48:03 UTC 8 months ago

О"К!))

snailbones

April 18 2014, 16:58:13 UTC 8 months ago

Thank you for letting us know - it's appreciated.

scolaro

April 18 2014, 17:24:12 UTC 8 months ago

Thank you for the update!
It would be cool to have some more news posts again in the future... :)

violetfrosting

April 18 2014, 17:54:37 UTC 8 months ago Edited:  April 18 2014, 17:58:40 UTC

Thanks

Could the picture be less wide, though? It messes with my page margins

sephslover

April 18 2014, 17:57:51 UTC 8 months ago

That's good news! Thanks!

homunculus

April 18 2014, 19:05:13 UTC 8 months ago

maybe ie will let me comment. chrome makes me go through the secure site, and I'm not able to comment. this has been happening the last couple days.

vjezkova

April 18 2014, 19:45:06 UTC 8 months ago

Thank you all for your great work!!

didombadidom

April 18 2014, 19:49:19 UTC 8 months ago

--заебали вы со своими новыми анонсами:((
--Big news! Thank you. :) I hope and forgot ))) la-ala

wrestlingdog

April 18 2014, 20:32:16 UTC 8 months ago

Good to know! Thanks.

karinmollberg

April 18 2014, 21:03:02 UTC 8 months ago

Maybe, if LJ would be able to make a few efforts considering notify mails, just for starters, there would be a bit more interaction (with whiich you might gain your livelihood) on this site and one might feel inclined to recommend it. How about that?
Just in case, clients are in any way interesting to LJ.

Also, the treatement of user complaints what with abuse/harrassment/stalking has not been that impressive in the past. An old site like LJ would be well advised to treat its habituées with a minimum of respect. In case, they want to keep a few, as we already are.

This, since I got no help or advice or anything in the way of support at a time when that might have been helpful, on the contrary:
instead, LJ staff have been sending me offers with the old user names of the by now dead (if I am correctly informed by other LJ-friends) mentally ill person who used LJ facilities for their continuous criminal assault and pursuit of not only my own but several other user´s sites for their own means,.as some kind of .. "joke" I can´t believe, happened by accident or as some...er: customer policy.

I stick to this site, because I´ve been here for years by now and have the internet "friends" that matter to me here and would, as a still user of this site, appreciate a minimum of common sense or even manners on a public domain.

stichiscool

April 19 2014, 02:45:56 UTC 8 months ago

Good but how do I change my password?

slinkslowdown

April 19 2014, 14:42:50 UTC 8 months ago

There's a link in the entry here: http://www.livejournal.com/changepassword.bml

stichiscool

8 months ago

slinkslowdown

8 months ago

stichiscool

8 months ago

stichiscool

8 months ago

lied_ohne_worte

8 months ago

stichiscool

8 months ago

slinkslowdown

8 months ago

stichiscool

8 months ago

azurelunatic

April 19 2014, 07:22:42 UTC 8 months ago

Thank you for the update.
Previous
← Ctrl← Alt
Next