theljstaff (theljstaff) wrote in news,

Site redesign feedback

We wanted to post here to let you know that we've been reading your feedback, to show you what the most common feedback we have received is, and to give you an opportunity to let us know what else we may have missed. So far, what we know is:

1) You don't like how everything just suddenly changed with no warning or initial announcement.

2) The colors are too light. Especially with regards to comment pages (both header colors and the grey text color), text entered into the Update page, the entry page text, and links/lj tags which you have visited look too similar to those you haven't.

3) You want more customization options for the friends feed. You want to be able to change more than just the background color/image, and also want to change the text colors, link colors, other foreground colors, etc.

4) Margins need to be fixed on entry pages. There is a small margin on the left side of the page, then a very large one on the right side. This problem is further compounded when you see that the comments on the same page don't follow the same margins.

5) You don't find the homepage very useful. The Ratings/Top LJ feature isn't very good at identifying interesting content, and it commonly shows entries that are in Russian.

6) The Social capital & Ratings sections on profiles aren't relevant and take up too much space. The statistics column itself is taking up too much space on the page.

7) The sidebar on the Friends feed should be removed if all widgets have been hidden, allowing feed content to take up this space.

8) The widget for LiveJournal Today on the Friends Feed should respect the setting for "show multiple entries from same community" from the homepage/main Ratings, and the default behavior should be to show only 1 entry per user/community.

9) The rounded corners of userpics aren't well liked.

10) The lj-cut should still have customizable text.

11) Links to Scrapbook and the Upload userpics page are needed in the site menu. The current display of data on the menu page is also confusing. Here is an alternate list of how the menu could potentially appear that we would like your feedback on (Is this better? What should change? What's missing?)

My Journal:

Friends Feed
Post new entry
My entries (your recent entries page)
Profile
Scrapbook
Statistics
Memories
Logout

Discovery:

Ratings/TopLJ
Community Directory
Friends of Friends

Help:

Support
Terms of Service
Privacy Policy
DMCA
About

Tools & Settings:

Settings
Edit profile
Journal Style
Edit Friends
Manage custom friends groups
Manage tags
Scheduled entries
Manage communities
Banned users

We know that things changing abruptly can be frustrating, and that we don't have the greatest track record when it comes to making changes based on your feedback. We're working on changing that, and want you to know that we are taking all of your feedback on the redesign very seriously, and will be making changes based on it.

← Ctrl← Alt
Next
Ctrl →Alt →

twissie

May 26 2014, 23:38:26 UTC 3 months ago

Good initiative.

My main concern about the new friend feed is the lack of customization. Though I think colours and sparkles are far less important than being able to change font (size, style) and width of feed/entries. Reading text across a wide screen can get really tiring on the eyes, I need to be able to shorten the length of screen my eyes have to travel for every line of text.

Keep the updates coming!

snuck

May 27 2014, 12:04:26 UTC 3 months ago

This. I couldn't find stuff. I have my customised LJ for a reason. I had to shuffle around to work out how to even load my friends page. Blerk.

Naughty LJ - so many people have bailed from here and I'm sure many more will jump - you (LJ) really need to look at this as part of your business model, because it's not a smart move to push more and more of us into the 'irritated' land, irritated leads to 'left'.

matgb

May 26 2014, 23:39:43 UTC 3 months ago

You want more customization options for the friends feed. You want to be able to change more than just the background color/image, and also want to change the text colors, link colors, other foreground colors, etc.

I spent years customising my layout to make my friends page display in a manner that suited me and didn't set of migraine's &c. I want to keep my layout designed by me that works for me.

I can understand wanting to improve the UI for new users and for those that haven't spent years learning how to tweak things to get things just right. But if the "friends feed" is forced on established users then my already reduced usage of the site will disappear completely.

And yes, changing everything with zero notice on a social media platform where talk is what we're here to do? That wasn't a good plan. Especially given it's not the first, second or fifth time we've seen such behaviour.

moony_blues

May 26 2014, 23:51:17 UTC 3 months ago

+1

lysanatt

3 months ago

bookishgeek

May 26 2014, 23:40:10 UTC 3 months ago

I really enjoyed having the most recent comments posted in response to my comments/entries on the top of my homepage during the last redesign. I am not sure if I'm in the minority, but I miss that.

cherokee_kid

May 26 2014, 23:46:50 UTC 3 months ago

I LOVED that feature! I didn't have to muddle through my email inbox for replies and things. Just log in and see them there! I want it back!

plumxxjam

3 months ago

sewaddicted

May 26 2014, 23:42:02 UTC 3 months ago Edited:  May 26 2014, 23:42:20 UTC

All the empty space when looking at "Recent Comments" - in the new layout I see 3 on my screen, when with the old I could see 6 of them. 3 surrounded by acres of pointless white screen.

Not only did the abrupt change come about with zero notification but the change over asked for feedback before we'd even had a chance to look around - and that option never came back. Not on my work computer (uses IE), home computer (using FireFox) or Kindle Fire.

rosefyre

May 26 2014, 23:51:13 UTC 3 months ago

I found it by clicking on the question mark in a speech bubble on the top right corner of the homepage that I originally thought was a link to the FAQ.

Which obviously did not get me to the FAQ.

Not being able to find shit does not make me happy, LJ.

a_phoenixdragon

3 months ago

sewaddicted

3 months ago

a_phoenixdragon

3 months ago

fiddlingfrog

3 months ago

a_phoenixdragon

3 months ago

sewaddicted

3 months ago

fiddlingfrog

3 months ago

sewaddicted

3 months ago

sewaddicted

3 months ago

a_phoenixdragon

3 months ago

sewaddicted

3 months ago

a_phoenixdragon

3 months ago

sewaddicted

3 months ago

a_phoenixdragon

3 months ago

asher63

May 26 2014, 23:42:50 UTC 3 months ago

For those of us who may be growing older (I know, none of us are, but still), a simple, no-brainer way to change (read: increase) font size would be a life-saver.

Please and thank you.

lied_ohne_worte

May 26 2014, 23:58:39 UTC 3 months ago

Well, normally I'd say you can increase it in your browser (which is a good thing on many sites). But of course they managed to select a font that grows harder to read when you scale it up:

Unbenannt

Congratulations, designers, I'm sure that took talent.

seraphina_snape

3 months ago

azurelunatic

3 months ago

tilia_tomentosa

3 months ago

tilia_tomentosa

3 months ago

lied_ohne_worte

3 months ago

dorsetgirl

3 months ago

tilia_tomentosa

3 months ago

jukebox_csi

May 26 2014, 23:43:34 UTC 3 months ago

I didn't care for the new look at all. I found it difficult to navigate and find things I used to easily be able to locate. I was glad the option to revert to the old layout was available and quickly did so once my frustration level hit unacceptable levels. Please consider making the new layout an optional choice and allow those who prefer the current 'old' LJ to keep it.

candream

May 26 2014, 23:44:30 UTC 3 months ago

+1

franklanguage

3 months ago

moony_blues

3 months ago

meliadoul

May 26 2014, 23:44:33 UTC 3 months ago

Or you could just change it back.

pineapplemango

May 27 2014, 05:27:10 UTC 3 months ago

+

gemfyre

May 26 2014, 23:44:51 UTC 3 months ago

1) You don't like how everything just suddenly changed with no warning or initial announcement.

Haven't people been telling LJ that since 2002 or so?

moony_blues

May 26 2014, 23:50:28 UTC 3 months ago

+1

ladysnaps

3 months ago

werewolf_hacker

May 26 2014, 23:45:05 UTC 3 months ago

You've pretty much covered my major complaints. Too much white space everywhere, and the userinfo page is absolutely hideous, with all that extraneous info at the top taking up way too much space and the font for the Social Capital crap (does anyone actually care about that? Really?) being way too big.

And, seriously, give us back our damn Subject lines for comments. Jeepers.

moony_blues

May 26 2014, 23:45:08 UTC 3 months ago Edited:  May 27 2014, 00:26:44 UTC

we don't have the greatest track record when it comes to making changes based on your feedback. We're working on changing that

Good way to show us that. Just change the site with no notice, no opportunity to give feedback, and no way to express the sentiments you don't want to hear in the first place. Post an update with disabled comments and then wait more than a week to make a news post about what you're now "fixing". /sarcasm

Thankfully, I was one of a minority on my friend's list who was able to figure out how opt-out of the beta. The ones that weren't given that option aren't happy.

My full thoughts on the latest developments are here, if you care to read it. Not that you actually will...

seraphina_snape

May 27 2014, 07:33:15 UTC 3 months ago

Your friends can still change it back even if they accidentally accepted the new version! It's very well hidden and you won't find it without help (because why make it obvious which button to click to go back to a working format, right?), but you can switch back to the old version (at least for now).

In the top right corner in the blue nav bar, in between the "post in blog" and the inbox/envelope button is a blank square:

Click on that and you're given the option to switch back to the old version.

trystan830

3 months ago

mutantxarchive

3 months ago

gonzo21

3 months ago

heyurs

May 26 2014, 23:45:24 UTC 3 months ago

Yes to everything, please fix it, thank you! and please expand the profile page back like it was---all of that wasted space on the right crowds things in that we've spent a lot of time on.

franklanguage

May 27 2014, 02:18:57 UTC 3 months ago

That's my only wish—that they CHANGE IT BACK! (Not that they will.)

heyurs

3 months ago

mpoetess

May 26 2014, 23:45:43 UTC 3 months ago Edited:  May 26 2014, 23:46:52 UTC

I strongly agree with the suggestion that the sidebar should disappear if all widgets are turned off. However, I would also suggest that our Link List from the 'old' style customization options be provided as one of the widgets. With that addition, the friends feed -- no matter how you may redesign the general appearance -- would return to being a useful homepage for those of us who use it for most of our interaction on LJ. The Home Page has never been something we spend a lot of time on; frequent users who are always logged in may see the homepage once ever three months when a browser update manages to lose our login cookie; the Friends page and the comments pages, we see and use every day, and are the parts of the site where we need the most user control and stability.

sewaddicted

May 26 2014, 23:55:52 UTC 3 months ago

The Home Page was so hideous I only ever ended up there by accident (or having to login again). All that stuff I wasn't interested in with no option to not have it!

fiddlingfrog

3 months ago

mpoetess

3 months ago

darth_eldritch

May 26 2014, 23:46:49 UTC 3 months ago Edited:  May 26 2014, 23:49:28 UTC

Bring back the Friends Page link on the inbox page, please

nevermind, didn't realize it was renamed Friends Feed

clarionromance

May 27 2014, 00:17:52 UTC 3 months ago

+1

armandyouidiot

May 26 2014, 23:48:21 UTC 3 months ago

Could we have our user pic back on our inbox page?

dreadedcandiru2

May 26 2014, 23:49:18 UTC 3 months ago Edited:  May 26 2014, 23:50:18 UTC

The thing that really annoys me is that the new justification makes bolded text more difficult to read. (Also, could you PLEASE bring back the ability to give comments titles?)

megazoid

May 26 2014, 23:49:26 UTC 3 months ago

we are missing the mobile app, so we won't have to see/use this ugly site ever again.

also, for about 12 years of using lj, I learned, that none of cool suggestions will be implemented anyway.

what I want is that you guys just leave the dystopia theme alone be and let me use it.

and "reply in mobile version" link in notification email.

rosefyre

May 26 2014, 23:49:58 UTC 3 months ago

Things I couldn't find in the new version without workarounds that were obscenely backwards and fucked up and why the fuck aren't these things OBVIOUS:
- The "post a new entry" button
- A way to join/watch/friend a person/community from their profile page

Yeah, see, those two things are IMPORTANT.

Fix this bullshit. Now.

astronewt

May 27 2014, 01:01:37 UTC 3 months ago

There is a 'Post new entry' link in the main blue banner header, which appears on all site scheme pages, at the right edge before the feedback/inbox/search icons: http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/astronewt/5984200/44657/44657_original.png

On the Profile page, there should be a lighter blue list of links above the user's information but below the dark blue site banner -- this light blue banner will contain the add friend and join/watch community links, at the left side:

For a personal journal: http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/astronewt/5984200/45397/45397_original.png

For a community: http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/astronewt/5984200/45721/45721_original.png

rosefyre

3 months ago

fiddlingfrog

3 months ago

rosefyre

3 months ago

fiddlingfrog

3 months ago

rosefyre

3 months ago

fiddlingfrog

3 months ago

rosefyre

3 months ago

fiddlingfrog

3 months ago

rosefyre

3 months ago

astronewt

3 months ago

rosefyre

3 months ago

astronewt

3 months ago

rosefyre

3 months ago

desh

3 months ago

crucified

May 26 2014, 23:50:15 UTC 3 months ago

Please do not take away the option to keep using the old style.

partitioning

May 26 2014, 23:59:07 UTC 3 months ago

+1

franklanguage

3 months ago

childfreeman196

3 months ago

blackbird_song

3 months ago

rose_the_hat

May 26 2014, 23:51:21 UTC 3 months ago

I think you'll still do whatever the hell you want anyway. 5/10 for your token effort at listening to your users.

megazoid

May 27 2014, 09:20:10 UTC 3 months ago

+1

chocolamousse

May 26 2014, 23:51:50 UTC 3 months ago

When you posted a comment with italics (or bold type, or underlining, or stricken words...) with the old version, you could see the italics/bold/underlining/striking in the preview. With the new version you can only see the plain text. What's the use of the preview then? I want to see my comment as it will appear when posted!

blackbird_song

May 27 2014, 00:00:03 UTC 3 months ago

+1

astronewt

3 months ago

chocolamousse

3 months ago

gillo

May 26 2014, 23:52:26 UTC 3 months ago

I looked at the new page and switched back asap. Like a commenter above, I have spent a lot of time customising my friends' page to suit my preferences. Why is it suddenly a "feed", anyway? If I want Facebook, I'll use it. This is a place for extended writing and discussion, and setting it up to be comfortable is important. It's one of the reasons I pay for my LJ.

And, yes, unannounced major changes are never a good idea. Even good changes are annoying when unexpected, and most of these were not good.

I'm pleased you realised you'd made mistakes and responded here. Please keep on communicating.

blackbird_song

May 27 2014, 00:03:10 UTC 3 months ago

+1, very strongly. Excellent comments.

moonrise

3 months ago

staysthecourse

May 26 2014, 23:52:43 UTC 3 months ago

The drop down menus have got to be replaced. I can't navigate them.

queer_theory

May 27 2014, 10:33:44 UTC 3 months ago

This. I have a tremor disorder... Sometimes, I can't keep the mouse over the menu to use it properly.

yanagi_wa

May 26 2014, 23:52:45 UTC 3 months ago

Simple, easy, cheap. Put it back to the old way. It worked, it didn't look like FaceBook, MySpace or anything other than our beloved LiveJournal. It wasn't broken until you messed with it. Change for the sake of change is bad.

_sussy_

May 27 2014, 08:30:25 UTC 3 months ago

+1

starjourneying

3 months ago

childfreeman196

3 months ago

a_phoenixdragon

May 26 2014, 23:52:47 UTC 3 months ago Edited:  May 27 2014, 00:02:05 UTC

I filter my friends pages and there is no option to do that. I don't want to 'manage' my communities or friends, I want to be able to filter or just 'click' without having to jump through hoops.

The style is overly clunky and the text/font too large. I know this may be useful to some readers, but not all.

Needless to say, I switched this back IMMEDIATELY. Too bad I had to be told how to do that, as the 'option' some people were given never appeared on my Page. I had to aim for the (less obvious) 'blank box' between Post and Messages. Amused, I was not.

Honestly, I have no idea why this change is even considered necessary. I don't have a Facebook (nor to I want one), I have a Tumblr already that I rarely use, I have a Dreamwidth (that again) I rarely use - and their style is a lot like this. I find it hard to navigate, so I don't use it. I like ElJay the way it is, frankly. There may be some tightening needed occasionally, bugs worked out here and there. But mostly, I (and quite a few others I know) like the way it is laid out. We're used to that.I don't need 'Top Communities'. I don't need 'extra features' (that don't work). I'm here to post fiction, update my friends on my life, read my friends pages (mostly this) and read my communities that I am already interested in.

Mostly, what I would like is an announcement saying 'Hey, we're thinking of doing THIS - wouldja like to give it a shot, tell us what's up and what you like/don't like about it?' because you would have gotten a ten times better response. People would have been more receptive in many ways, whereas a lot of us are just 'NO' at this point.

Thank you for this post. And I thank you for putting for the effort and the apology. Unfortunately your users are used to be brushed off and given acerbic responses, which is likely why you got deluged with 'DO NOT WANT'. I hope this leads to better communication with the maintainers and your user base. That would be lovely.

It would also be lovely if we (as users) had the ultimate say-so in the end. I cautiously await the updates on this and hope it won't be another case of 'We'll pretend to listen and then do what we want anyway.' Which, sadly is what a lot of us have gotten used to over time.

But thank you for the effort and the response. Very surprising and refreshing. Hope this signifies new changes ahead!

fiddlingfrog

May 27 2014, 00:06:55 UTC 3 months ago Edited:  May 27 2014, 00:18:06 UTC

If you're using the new feed you can access your filters by clicking on the "list" icon on the upper-left of your feed page. It looks like this: http://fiddlingfrog.livejournal.com/pics/catalog/1567/174545

a_phoenixdragon

3 months ago

fiddlingfrog

3 months ago

a_phoenixdragon

3 months ago

fiddlingfrog

3 months ago

a_phoenixdragon

3 months ago

astronewt

3 months ago

a_phoenixdragon

3 months ago

gillo

3 months ago

a_phoenixdragon

3 months ago

moonrise

3 months ago

a_phoenixdragon

3 months ago

alobar

May 26 2014, 23:53:58 UTC 3 months ago

I want my old userinfo page. Fuck the pale font colors. I want YELLOW on Black on all my pages. For comments I want black on white. Fuck the ale colors.
Previous
← Ctrl← Alt
Next
Ctrl →Alt →