Roundup of recent news: Promo options, Google Search, and Writer's Block

Hello, everyone!

Quite a bit has changed lately, and we wanted to do a quick roundup of everything that's been happening!

1) In last week's release, two new options for promoting content were added that we think could use a bit more explanation than we provided in the Release notes: the Calendar Promo and the Auction Promo features.

Auction Promo

The Auction Promo feature allows you to immediately promote your entry, journal, or community in the relevant sections of the LiveJournal homepage. There are separate auctions for the top spot on the homepage for the Top Entry, Top Journal, and Top Community modules. All auctions start at 100 LiveJournal Tokens and increase in price if another user bids for the same item.

Calendar Promo

The Calendar Promo feature allows you to promote an entry on the LiveJournal homepage at a specific time & date in the future (up to 2 months out). Unlike the Auction Promo, once you have purchased a time slot, you cannot lose it to someone else. Full details on how this all works can be found at http://www.livejournal.com/support/faq/373.html. You can purchase a time slot in the LiveJournal Shop.

Both of these promotional features are designed to make it easier for other people to find your content who might otherwise never see it. For example, if you have a community you really want new members for, you can purchase the Top Community spot to try and get the attention of potential new members. Similarly, if you are working on a story and would like more feedback from the LJ community, purchasing the Top Entry spot might make this easier. If you're posting a series of entries on a topic that interests you, and you'd like more interaction on your posts, purchasing the Top Journal spot might make this easier.

In general, if you have an entry you want as many people as possible to read, using the Calendar Promo to schedule a spot for it, or buying the current time through the Auction Promo can both be great ways to get more people reading your post.

Please comment to let us know if you have any feedback about how the Promo features can be improved to meet your needs!

2) Today's release brought Google Search to the site, added several important menu options that were missing from the site navigation menu, and changed the length of time before accounts are purged to 60 days (from 30) after an account is deleted.

3) We also announced plans to return the Writer's Block last week. If you haven't already, please take a look and comment with any feedback you have on how the feature should work!

That's all for now, but keep an eye on lj_releases as we'll have an update on Friends Feed customization options soon!

shutter

August 5 2014, 00:07:30 UTC 8 months ago

oh.

lafinjack

August 5 2014, 00:21:20 UTC 8 months ago

rose_the_hat

August 5 2014, 00:13:23 UTC 8 months ago Edited:  August 5 2014, 00:13:40 UTC

we'll have an update on Friends Feed customization options soon!

Lemme guess....you're gonna go back on what you said and force all of us to use that fugly Friends "Feed" after all DNW.

crucified

August 5 2014, 00:14:30 UTC 8 months ago

Ugh.

misstia

8 months ago

dragonheart97

8 months ago

entombs

August 5 2014, 00:13:41 UTC 8 months ago

WHY THO

zeitgeistic

August 5 2014, 00:19:55 UTC 8 months ago

brought Google Search to the site

A better LJ search engine? Could this be? :D

lafinjack

August 5 2014, 00:24:53 UTC 8 months ago

Even Ask Jeeves would have been a better LJ search engine...

zeitgeistic

8 months ago

lafinjack

8 months ago

zeitgeistic

8 months ago

eloriekam

8 months ago

mosinging1986

August 5 2014, 00:23:20 UTC 8 months ago

It would be nice to see my regular Friends Page back.

jewelledfairy

August 5 2014, 13:32:21 UTC 8 months ago

I can see my regular friends page, but only after I log in. Then, you have to click "friends" in the menu bar.

mosinging1986

8 months ago

ron_newman

August 5 2014, 00:24:04 UTC 8 months ago

On the Google Search page, what does the "Py" button do? What is "Py" short for?

Also (under item 2), Today's release page has been deleted.

lafinjack

August 5 2014, 00:27:58 UTC 8 months ago

They messed up the link.

This works: http://lj-releases.livejournal.com/88327.html

This does not: http://http//lj-releases.livejournal.com/88327.html

pedanther

8 months ago

ron_newman

8 months ago

pierceheart

8 months ago

misstia

August 5 2014, 00:26:18 UTC 8 months ago

$200 to promote a community?! o_O remember when LJ would randomly promote communities freely? Damn.....unless I read the token costs wrong, it appeared to be $200 for one hour....

intrepia

August 5 2014, 03:03:07 UTC 8 months ago

Each LJ token is 1 cent, not 1 dollar, so 200 tokens would be $2...

misstia

8 months ago

intrepia

8 months ago

misstia

8 months ago

markf

8 months ago

rubyelf

8 months ago

nasha_sasha

August 5 2014, 00:42:27 UTC 8 months ago

1) promo my arse
2) where is compensation for nearly whole day downtime
3) writers block was probably one single most useless feature ever

smashbros

August 5 2014, 00:43:42 UTC 8 months ago

Any idea if Permanent Accounts will be available for sale again?

rick_day

August 5 2014, 01:56:34 UTC 8 months ago

mine is the only thing keeping me here FWIW

dr_phil_physics

August 5 2014, 01:05:44 UTC 8 months ago

Underwhelmed. We already have Facebook trying to get people whore for placement. It seems of limited utility. At least so far I think I'm seeing all of my Friends feed.

Every update since Release 88 , the comments have been dominated by (1) NO! and (2) please bring back X which you broke previously.

But not all is lost. Sometimes you do make an improvement -- links to next/previous posts via post title and not just arrows is a real plus. And Archives allow you to run through a whole blog.

I find LiveJournal personally and professionally useful. But you've got to figure out a business model that isn't based on turning LJ into Facebook or some other more limited, less useful social media.

Dr. Phil
Permanent Account Holder

lupislune

August 5 2014, 01:27:26 UTC 8 months ago Edited:  August 5 2014, 02:28:16 UTC

Promoting journals goes against all that livejournal is. This isn't facebook or tumblr. That fact that the buffoons that run Livejournal haven't figured that out is astounding.

It is no wonder users are flocking away from here.

buzziecat

August 5 2014, 01:54:58 UTC 8 months ago

I could not care less about Auction Promo and Calendar Promo and no waaaaay would I pay for them.

As for google - it's intrusive and privacy-invading on all its own sites, "fixes" things that don't need fixing (actually, it's more like google breaks things that were fine as they were), and it's notorious for ignoring what users say they want. Feedback comments sent to google are like pissing in the ocean and thinking it will be noticed. It won't.
Now, you bring google, with all of its negative aspects, here.

No need to ask why you're bringing in google search. The person who took over lj came from google and a review of earlier feedback comments will show that lj-ers knew her agenda in advance.

LJ was far from perfect but the many people I met, from 2008 on when I joined, liked it. None of them wanted or wants it to be a fb or a google. We basically liked lj as it was and gave feedback if we thought something needed changing. Along came the google person and, Voila! changes that caused a tidal wave of negative feedback.

As for giving people 60 days before an account is purged, has it occurred to those of you on the 'lj team' that people are closing their accounts and leaving because they DON'T LIKE LJ ANYMORE AND DON'T LIKE WHAT HAS BEEN DONE TO IT? I've never seen lj as empty as it is now. :((

That's all for now, but keep an eye on lj user feedback.

misstia

August 5 2014, 03:09:52 UTC 8 months ago

yeah, if the comments on this news post doesn't give them a clue....by now in the old days, there'd be several HUNDRED comments....now it's several hours after the post and there's only 34 comments!

buzziecat

8 months ago

redbird

August 5 2014, 01:56:02 UTC 8 months ago

Thanks for letting us know that "top entry" isn't about most comments, or most views, or what someone on staff thinks is interesting, it's a paid billboard.

cloudsinvenice

August 5 2014, 08:49:05 UTC 8 months ago

Yes, I'll happily ignore it. Like someone said above, I remember when LJ promoted communities because they could see the intrinsic value of doing so - more people visiting more communities = more LJ activity, and a more satisfying experience for users.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

rick_day

August 5 2014, 02:02:17 UTC 8 months ago

only 24 comments? I remember the day when there would be 300 hundred comments in 4 minutes.

smh

I'll go back to my journal now..

sexy_severus

August 5 2014, 02:12:44 UTC 8 months ago

Yeah, I admit that I miss the good old days as well. Please bring back the big yearly LJ drama (followed by LULZ). Thanks.

lupislune

8 months ago

sexy_severus

8 months ago

kandigurl

August 5 2014, 02:35:38 UTC 8 months ago

I don't understand this at all....you had all of those posts asking us what we liked about LJ, and ALL of them pretty much said, "We like that you are not like Facebook," and now you're presenting a VERY Facebook feature (pay to promote your content)? What was the point of even asking? This is a genuine question.

sexy_severus

August 5 2014, 02:41:18 UTC 8 months ago Edited:  August 5 2014, 02:45:44 UTC

Auction Promo... Seriously?! I thought that might be a very late April Fools' joke when I noticed it a couple of days ago. I can understand that you need to have a business model but you can't (and won't) survive in the long run by just replicating other popular sites features into LJ (unless you can significantly improve them). You need something that is unique and creative, yet still appealing to us users, that sets LJ apart from all the other social media networks around the internet. Just don't follow every new stupid trend around the web but rather take a look back at the roots which made people fall in love (and greatly enjoy LJ) and try to improve the user experience of it.

Otherwise LJ will just fall into the bucket with all the other social media network sites and drift into insignificance.

kishenehn

August 5 2014, 03:00:33 UTC 8 months ago

I see the Dreamwidth trolls are back with a vengeance.

fiddlingfrog

August 5 2014, 03:36:23 UTC 8 months ago

Well, it's always fun to complain about two-year-old features.

lafinjack

8 months ago

lafinjack

8 months ago

dr_phil_physics

8 months ago

lafinjack

8 months ago

dr_phil_physics

8 months ago

lafinjack

8 months ago

dreamtigress

August 5 2014, 03:21:44 UTC 8 months ago

When did LJ become FB?

lafinjack

August 5 2014, 04:40:55 UTC 8 months ago

It's in the memo.

primula_baggins

August 5 2014, 04:09:55 UTC 8 months ago

Hate Google search. Please get rid of it.

lafinjack

August 5 2014, 04:42:45 UTC 8 months ago

You hate Google search, or you hate the current implementation of Google search? And is that hate greater or lesser than your hate of the previous crappy Yandex search?

radio_umbrell

8 months ago

hammondstan

8 months ago

roman_yerokhin

August 5 2014, 04:36:58 UTC 8 months ago

Oh my promo, promopromopromopromo

l33tminion

August 5 2014, 04:37:46 UTC 8 months ago

If you do that, you probably should rename "Top Communities" and "Top Posts" to make it clear those are paid promos.

homunculus

August 5 2014, 05:44:35 UTC 8 months ago

i like the search, but it still seems wonky. it was set to russian by default for me, although my language preference for the site is english.

pronker

August 5 2014, 06:22:38 UTC 8 months ago

I used and enjoyed writer's block, so good.

pronker

August 5 2014, 06:27:07 UTC 8 months ago

At one time, there was a way to archive one's LJ; is that feature coming back?

singindemonhq

8 months ago

andrewducker

August 5 2014, 06:47:21 UTC 8 months ago

The Google Search is auto-filling in Russian, and then returning no responses...

homunculus

August 5 2014, 22:22:53 UTC 8 months ago

you can switch to english by clicking the Py button, but it seems to be russian by default and you have to change it every time.

20_00

August 5 2014, 08:10:01 UTC 8 months ago

По пункту 2 два важных вопроса.
1. А яндекс поиск для кирилликов всё? Где он собственно теперь?
2. В кириллической справке указан срок - 365 дней. В англоязычной - 60. Почему? Это связано с новыми российскими законами о хранении информации о действиях пользователя минимум полгода?

IРaragraph 2, two important questions.
1 Yandex search for russian users died? Why? Where he actually now?
2. Cyrillic Help specified period - 365 days. In English - 60. Why? This is due to the new Russian law on the storage of information about the actions of the user at least six months? I do not use Cyrillic services, but I write in Russian. My blog will be deleted after 60 or 365 days? It is important to understand.

dragonheart97

August 5 2014, 20:42:28 UTC 8 months ago

Your blog will only be deleted if you delete it yourself. When someone deletes their journal, there is now a window of 60 days where they can log back in as that user and re-activate the journal and all of its contents will be there. After 60 days, LJ will purge it. The contents will be permanently deleted and the username will be available for someone to purchase with a rename token.

20_00

8 months ago