Invite your friends back to LiveJournal!

Do you have LiveJournal friends you'd like to hear from again but who haven't posted for awhile? Do you sometimes feel like your Friends page doesn't have as much content as it could? Well, now you can invite your friends back and get some free paid time added to your account as well!

We are pleased to announce the Remember promotion, which allows currently active LiveJournal users to send an invitation to their friends who haven't been active for awhile. If your friend accepts the invitation, both you and your friend will receive a month of paid time! You can receive up to 6 months paid time if you invite multiple friends, and a special gift will be given to the person who brings the most people back to LiveJournal!

So, how does it work?
All you need to do is go to http://www.livejournal.com/remember/ while logged in to your LiveJournal account and enter your friend's username (or you can copy/paste the link and send it to them directly). We'll send them an email with a confirmation code, and once they accept, they just need to post a new entry (at any security level) for you both to receive one month of paid time added to your account!

What are the rules for sending and receiving invitations?
The following eligibility restrictions apply:

1) The invited account must have no logins recorded for the past 12 months or longer.

2) You cannot send invitations to your own alternate accounts.

3) Identity accounts (accounts that login via Facebook, Twitter, and so on) can neither send nor receive invitations. Only full LiveJournal accounts can participate.

4) This promotion is currently for non-Cyrillic users only.

Anything else I need to know?
Nope, that's it! So head on over to http://www.livejournal.com/remember/ and help bring your friends back to LiveJournal!
Tags: remember promotion

Stop deliberately breaking things (LJ Login, which I am still furious about and which a good amount of people on this site also use/used) and trying to force us to use the layout that NO ONE WANTS by only making new features available if you switch, and maybe, just maybe, this place won't be so uninviting. The new PTB came in and were all about communication and reaching out and getting our input and then it suddenly stopped. Any goodwill you established with those first few posts after your takeover of the site is now long gone in my book. Breaking LJ Login has made my experience here FAR less enjoyable and there was no reason to do it. It works on other sites so it is definitely LJ-based as to why it no longer works. Stop giving people reasons to bail and maybe you wouldn't need to beg for users to come back.
Hey.

I don't know what you mean by login being broken.

My LJ is insanely difficult, but I thought that was because of the insanely anal security settings on my firewall, etc.

What is it you are experiencing when you try to log in???

(I have to go through a whole complicated ritually with perfect timing and everything. I even have to log off the internet and log back on before continuing).

firebird308

1 year ago

madman101

1 year ago

firebird308

1 year ago

I applaud this. I have been doing it anyway, however. No one comes back. well, one or two give it a whirl. But they put no effort into finding their own NEW friends, and so they give up because no one comments. Address this! Find them some new friends or something, these lazy asses don't deserve to be on LJ, but hey.

Also, one month paid? NOT ENOUGH. You can still profit if it is a more enticing THREE MONTHS at least! A free pic package! And all that.

Finally, how about making an add that everyone can post on Facebook and tumblr, because that's mainly where all the LJ emigrants fled to, idiotically. Actually, when the world collapses, so will FB, and many will come fleeing back here, so my main advice is to be patient.

Actually you can use external services like twitterfeed.com to automatically feed your public posts via rss to twitter, facebook etc.

LJ FAQ on syndication: http://www.livejournal.com/support/faq/137.html
Seriously. You know what you should do - next?

Promote LJ as being a LIFE journal. A long-term record of the person's thoughts, friendships, and spirits. Advertise how legacy accounts will be honoured. How people lost on LJ will be found. Be a fucking religion!!!!!

But, more to an audience which includes meh:

A lot of people post some pretty important, meaningful stuff. THEY WANT TO KNOW IT WILL NEVER BE LOST. We want to hear that it is saved in duplicate!

Blockbuster: Expand - I mean WAY expand - I mean revolutionarilly - you offer of printing out LJ's into BOOK FORM. Go as far as offering online, etc., publishing opportunities. You fools could be making so much fucking money. You have no idea what wealth is sleeping under your nose. You have the chance to be vanguards on the internet. And you are niggling. NIGGLING!

I want mmany of my LJ posts set into book form. Advertise how you can do this! This is a place for serious writers! Earth-shakers! Fuck all that FB whining and back-stabbing. That's exactly what your advertising campaign should say...

"Fuck all that FB whining and back-stabbing."

"THINK! - For a CHANGE!"

Get rad bitches.
I use http://ljbook.com and lulu to do just that, I have a book made every year :)

mosinging1986

1 year ago

spacefem

1 year ago

mosinging1986

1 year ago

cloudsinvenice

1 year ago

My feeling is if people left or stopped posting, it's their business, not mine.
I really thought this was an April Fool's joke when I got the email. Most of my friends have left here. Why would they want to return? If they wanted to come back, they would do so.

I've been here since 2002. I always had a paid account because I love icons! But I stopped giving you money (mainly) because of the way you treat your customers. You have heard this over and over and over from people. I know, because I have seen the comments!

The final straw was your promoting of Planned Parenthood. I suggested and requested repeatedly that you provide equal time for a pro-life group. Not only were my multiple requests mostly ignored, but I was finally told, basically, "If you don't like it, you can leave." What sort of business treats it's faithful, long term, paying customers that way?

The only reason I am still here is to keep touch with the few people who are left, and because the thought of losing 13 years (!!!) of my life is unbearable.

So yes, this does smack of desperation. Maybe if you hadn't treated people so poorly - especially long time, PAYING customers like me - so many of them would not have left.
I'm somewhat more pro- than anti-Planned Parenthood, but I have to agree that promoting political causes as part of their appeal to users is a bad move. It presents the message "We only want people who agree with us," which unfortunately has become a growing attitude among people of many different views.

silent_soprano

1 year ago

mosinging1986

1 year ago

mosinging1986

1 year ago

moms_favorite

1 year ago

mosinging1986

1 year ago

zucci_zookeenee

April 3 2015, 03:15:10 UTC 1 year ago Edited:  April 3 2015, 03:15:28 UTC

I really wish this is all it took to bring people back, but you've made such a mess of things over the last 6-7 years, LJ, that people just don't want to deal with your shit anymore and have found other places to go.

I stuck around because I couldn't bare to lose many years worth of memories and posts and I like that I can have locked entries, but the communities were a big thing that got me into LJ in the first place, and they're almost all a shade away from death. I made a new community recently (finalfantasy_xv If anyone cares), and I'll be shocked if there is even 10 members in a year from now. Some communities that used to have 15+ posts a day are now lucky to see one every 6 months. Half the places that do get frequent posts are just sales communities, not anything with actual discussion.

This site was going to pot years ago, you should have tried to deal with it then, not wait until you're almost out of active members and then beg us to find more people.
Think about what used to draw people here in the first place years ago and maybe try to use that as a basis to bring people back because offering them a month of paid account services is not going to do it.
If you want to bring back LJ users you must listen to your customers. For example answer the comments in this post. Make LJ feel like a community again. That is why people used this site. They enjoyed the connection. It starts with you and I have yet to see you guys take a proactive role in fixing this place.

antique_faery

April 3 2015, 05:22:03 UTC 1 year ago Edited:  April 3 2015, 05:23:11 UTC

People are coming for you yet this actually kind of made me a little sad. All this demonstrates even more is that this place is slowly dying. That genuinely hurts my heart because I've been here for 11 years (not my first journal) and I have fond memories of how great this place was when it was the place to be online. There's still active communities I'm hanging onto for dear life, but so many have died off along with so many users who were super active have moved on, which is a damn shame. I'm not only a creature of habit, I love this layout so much more than stupid Facebook and Tumblr. There's no intimacy or personalization with those sites, and they lack the community feel that this place has (or more like had for the most part). Yes, there is DW and IJ, but their communities are mostly small or dead, and they haven't been able to establish themselves in the same way. Uggggh. I'm going to be devastated when this place shuts down for good. </3 Anyway, just my 2 cents in a sea of repetitive (literally) negativity. P.S. In response to the Planned Parenthood comment up above mine, lol, that was actually the best thing you guys did when this place started to go south. Glad you stood your ground.
wow. almost agreed with this until that passive-aggressive bitchiness at the end.

antique_faery

1 year ago

mosinging1986

1 year ago

antique_faery

1 year ago

I'm surprised about all the negative comments here... I think this is a good idea and I hope it works in bringing people back.
I agree. Well — I don't know if it's a good idea, but at least I don't think it's a bad idea, as several commenters apparently do.

I'm surprised that there's this assumption that everyone who left LJ did so out of frustration, too. I had a number of LJ friends who're not active anymore, and off the top of my head I can think of precisely two who moved to other sites because they thought LJ had gotten too bad. The others just moved on in life in general — new jobs, new family situations, no time for blogging anymore, that sort of thing.

Doesn't mean they'd be any more likely to come back if I asked them to, of course. But anyone who genuinely wants to see LJ thrive should acknowledge that the site needs users to survive, and as such attempts to reach out are first and foremost a good thing.

queerbychoice

1 year ago

schnee

1 year ago

starswan

1 year ago

I came here thinking that this was either a late april fool's joke or to see if your database were hacked, but you actually did it. Wow, pathetic at best. There were reason why everybody left, like... ignoring whole userbase all the time and making this site look like poor brother of justjarred. Serioulsy. As much as I loved this site and have great memories and friends stemming from those time I had fun here, no way I'd come back or ask anyone to come back. You missed your zeitgeist (or the ones who owned lj before you, but who really cares?).
I'd love to do it, but what do you want me to tell them why they should use LiveJournal again? Everything they considered broken is still broken and since those are the reasons they moved away, I won't be able to convince them to return just because the picture and video area is nice provided they don't use old site schemes.
Well, you lot know why a lot of people left in the first place, do you?

I'd STILL like to know if there's work being done on the lasting problem of HTML links showing up on the printouts. Where's the use of having a support option when there IS NO support coming from you guys when people actually need it?
I mean, it's a nice idea and all, but I'd just like to echo a lot of other sentiments: people move on, and social platforms and their popularities tend to change. If people have left, it's because LJ doesn't appeal to them anymore, either because of the changes made to the site or because it no longer suits their requirements for a social platform. If the latter I really don't think the changes that have been made here would make them comeback and/or convince them that it's what they need.
Remember back when Dreamwidth had a recordbreaking month of sales because entire LJ communities up and left?

Good times.
uhhhhhh no
I came late to LiveJournal (years after all my fandom friends left Usenet and started posting collaborative fiction here instead of on the newsgroups). I only arrived here because MySpace broke the blogging feature that I was using. Now this one is basically broken too -- which concerns me more, because there is more fandom history in the back pages of LJ, even if most of it was written long before I ever saw it.

I don't know if the bug is in my browser or your code -- from the complaints about LJ-Login I suspect that the latter is at least partly to blame, in that it obviously can't cope with input that isn't the standard Chrome/Firefox/Internet Explorer response -- but since I'm currently locked out of all private content including my own, in the very near future I'm going to have to find an alternative platform for what little I write: probably Dreamwidth, which is where several ex-LJ users in my friend list have gone.

Given that I have yet to finish importing all my years of MySpace blogging to LJ, it probably isn't going to happen soon and is probably going to result in the loss of yet more content; I've been conservative enough, nostalgic enough and change-averse enough to keep jumping through the constantly increasing set of hoops the site keeps setting up to debar my low-tech usage. But now that I find myself stuck in a situation for which I have yet to discover ANY workaround, sooner or later I'm going to be forced to jump ship.
Have you tried submitting a help ticket? Also, have you tried logging in on a different browser? Being locked out of your own content is terrible, and your problems don't sound related to LJ Login (which, from what I understand, is a third-party app that you're not using).

igenlode

1 year ago

So now, not only does customer service and formatting suck absolute ass in spite of years of feedback, but now we're supposed to do your marketing for you? Not only is that creepy-pathetic-desperate-ex behavior, it also tells me you're terribly understaffed and looking for your customer base - the ones PAYING YOU TO DO YOUR JOB by the way - to do the shit you can't handle. Could never handle, else there wouldn't have been an exodus.

thank you for sharing
This promotion isn't a bad idea in theory, but I'd like to address a point about how people actually use LJ which means the promotion will not help to woo the very people who are most likely to come back. Your problem is here:

1) The invited account must have no logins recorded for the past 12 months or longer.

The people who never log in anymore have most likely either moved on from LJ/blogging completely and by choice, or can no longer log in because they've lost access to whatever old email account was associated with their LJ account. I do see people complaining about this (for example in the comments to that article on The Toast, which you should check out if you haven't already as it's a wonderful distillation of why people love/d LJ). It would be great if you could figure out a secure way to help those people regain access to their old accounts.

Now, the people who you have the most chance of bringing back are the ones who may or may not post, but who have logged in in the past 12 months (indeed, maybe they never logged out, since many people's browsers memorise their login info these days) to look at other people's posts. And what tends to happen is that they see little or nothing on their friends list page, because it only shows the last two weeks' activity (most people don't know how to change this setting; I know I didn't until someone explained how in the comments of the Toast article), so they go away again, perhaps just making one entry along the lines of, "Well, here's what's going on with me right now, so sad this place is dead now and probably nobody will read it."

These are people who miss the sense of community here and would be more likely than average to come back and join in again, but LJ's default settings mitigate against that, and now you're leaving them out of this promotion. Plenty of other people have talked about other ways in which the promotion might be misguided (and really, 1st April was a terrible, terrible choice of dates to run it, and the fact that most of us thought it was an April Fool hoax says everything about how LJ is perceived), but I haven't seen this mentioned.

Please, listen to your users. Against all the odds, there are still a lot of people here who love LJ and want it to work. I get the feeling that you guys want it to work too, especially judging by how you reached out to us last summer, but somehow after you made the video ad (which I liked a lot) you seemed to run out of steam. Believing in LJ as a community means believing in us, the users, and listening to what works for us and what doesn't. Please, fix the bugs people keep on telling you about.

Actually I just used this feature only because I truly wanted to hear from friends that have left a long time ago and I miss them. I am not doing it for the paid account thing.
Can you please stop emailing me about this??? I've received it four damn times already -- I get it.
uh no.

Dreamwidth and Tumblr are working just fine.
This is a nice idea, but I don't honestly feel comfortable inviting back most of my absent friends, because I presume they left for a reason and no longer want to be here. It's not like they just forgot LJ existed. They either got tired of it or they went somewhere else that was more active. I would LOVE for them to return, but it seems a bit silly begging them to come back just for my sake, if they're happier now on other sites.

I still wish you could invite more than two people a day. Maybe five would be a better number. That way, we're not as liable to forget who we want to invite because you can invite so few people per day now (while keeping it from getting spammy).

I also wonder if it matter if the person has only made private posts...? I guess even if they updated twice in this year, but I can't read the entries...it won't count in this request process??

nucleosides

1 year ago

well isn't that pathetic. fits in right good with the pathetic changes you've been doing here in the last 3-4 years or something.
how low can you sink?
you had a loyal, large user base of happy people. and you managed - again and again and again - to antagonize every single one of them, in spite of all angry feedbacks, warnings of quitting, mentions of how unhappy they were every time you brought another stupid, unwanted "feature", or massacrated a good appreciated one. for the sake of what, innovation? wannabe-facebookition? too much sugar in your coffee during "creative" real or virtual brainstormings?
you brought that shit on yourselves - the people obviously really did quit, in larger amounts as you had expected to, seems. you were ready to sacrifice a good bunch of them on the altar of your new planning and design, well now stop whining, they're gone. and go on fooling around with your diminished userbase - of which i'm sure still many are unhappy and about to jump ship soon.
i'd rather stick my head in a fresh cow dump that whoring myself to save your butts ~