Invite your friends back to LiveJournal!

Do you have LiveJournal friends you'd like to hear from again but who haven't posted for awhile? Do you sometimes feel like your Friends page doesn't have as much content as it could? Well, now you can invite your friends back and get some free paid time added to your account as well!

We are pleased to announce the Remember promotion, which allows currently active LiveJournal users to send an invitation to their friends who haven't been active for awhile. If your friend accepts the invitation, both you and your friend will receive a month of paid time! You can receive up to 6 months paid time if you invite multiple friends, and a special gift will be given to the person who brings the most people back to LiveJournal!

So, how does it work?
All you need to do is go to http://www.livejournal.com/remember/ while logged in to your LiveJournal account and enter your friend's username (or you can copy/paste the link and send it to them directly). We'll send them an email with a confirmation code, and once they accept, they just need to post a new entry (at any security level) for you both to receive one month of paid time added to your account!

What are the rules for sending and receiving invitations?
The following eligibility restrictions apply:

1) The invited account must have no logins recorded for the past 12 months or longer.

2) You cannot send invitations to your own alternate accounts.

3) Identity accounts (accounts that login via Facebook, Twitter, and so on) can neither send nor receive invitations. Only full LiveJournal accounts can participate.

4) This promotion is currently for non-Cyrillic users only.

Anything else I need to know?
Nope, that's it! So head on over to http://www.livejournal.com/remember/ and help bring your friends back to LiveJournal!
Tags: remember promotion

I'd love to do it, but what do you want me to tell them why they should use LiveJournal again? Everything they considered broken is still broken and since those are the reasons they moved away, I won't be able to convince them to return just because the picture and video area is nice provided they don't use old site schemes.
Well, you lot know why a lot of people left in the first place, do you?

I'd STILL like to know if there's work being done on the lasting problem of HTML links showing up on the printouts. Where's the use of having a support option when there IS NO support coming from you guys when people actually need it?
I mean, it's a nice idea and all, but I'd just like to echo a lot of other sentiments: people move on, and social platforms and their popularities tend to change. If people have left, it's because LJ doesn't appeal to them anymore, either because of the changes made to the site or because it no longer suits their requirements for a social platform. If the latter I really don't think the changes that have been made here would make them comeback and/or convince them that it's what they need.
Remember back when Dreamwidth had a recordbreaking month of sales because entire LJ communities up and left?

Good times.
uhhhhhh no
I came late to LiveJournal (years after all my fandom friends left Usenet and started posting collaborative fiction here instead of on the newsgroups). I only arrived here because MySpace broke the blogging feature that I was using. Now this one is basically broken too -- which concerns me more, because there is more fandom history in the back pages of LJ, even if most of it was written long before I ever saw it.

I don't know if the bug is in my browser or your code -- from the complaints about LJ-Login I suspect that the latter is at least partly to blame, in that it obviously can't cope with input that isn't the standard Chrome/Firefox/Internet Explorer response -- but since I'm currently locked out of all private content including my own, in the very near future I'm going to have to find an alternative platform for what little I write: probably Dreamwidth, which is where several ex-LJ users in my friend list have gone.

Given that I have yet to finish importing all my years of MySpace blogging to LJ, it probably isn't going to happen soon and is probably going to result in the loss of yet more content; I've been conservative enough, nostalgic enough and change-averse enough to keep jumping through the constantly increasing set of hoops the site keeps setting up to debar my low-tech usage. But now that I find myself stuck in a situation for which I have yet to discover ANY workaround, sooner or later I'm going to be forced to jump ship.
Have you tried submitting a help ticket? Also, have you tried logging in on a different browser? Being locked out of your own content is terrible, and your problems don't sound related to LJ Login (which, from what I understand, is a third-party app that you're not using).

igenlode

2 years ago

So now, not only does customer service and formatting suck absolute ass in spite of years of feedback, but now we're supposed to do your marketing for you? Not only is that creepy-pathetic-desperate-ex behavior, it also tells me you're terribly understaffed and looking for your customer base - the ones PAYING YOU TO DO YOUR JOB by the way - to do the shit you can't handle. Could never handle, else there wouldn't have been an exodus.

thank you for sharing
This promotion isn't a bad idea in theory, but I'd like to address a point about how people actually use LJ which means the promotion will not help to woo the very people who are most likely to come back. Your problem is here:

1) The invited account must have no logins recorded for the past 12 months or longer.

The people who never log in anymore have most likely either moved on from LJ/blogging completely and by choice, or can no longer log in because they've lost access to whatever old email account was associated with their LJ account. I do see people complaining about this (for example in the comments to that article on The Toast, which you should check out if you haven't already as it's a wonderful distillation of why people love/d LJ). It would be great if you could figure out a secure way to help those people regain access to their old accounts.

Now, the people who you have the most chance of bringing back are the ones who may or may not post, but who have logged in in the past 12 months (indeed, maybe they never logged out, since many people's browsers memorise their login info these days) to look at other people's posts. And what tends to happen is that they see little or nothing on their friends list page, because it only shows the last two weeks' activity (most people don't know how to change this setting; I know I didn't until someone explained how in the comments of the Toast article), so they go away again, perhaps just making one entry along the lines of, "Well, here's what's going on with me right now, so sad this place is dead now and probably nobody will read it."

These are people who miss the sense of community here and would be more likely than average to come back and join in again, but LJ's default settings mitigate against that, and now you're leaving them out of this promotion. Plenty of other people have talked about other ways in which the promotion might be misguided (and really, 1st April was a terrible, terrible choice of dates to run it, and the fact that most of us thought it was an April Fool hoax says everything about how LJ is perceived), but I haven't seen this mentioned.

Please, listen to your users. Against all the odds, there are still a lot of people here who love LJ and want it to work. I get the feeling that you guys want it to work too, especially judging by how you reached out to us last summer, but somehow after you made the video ad (which I liked a lot) you seemed to run out of steam. Believing in LJ as a community means believing in us, the users, and listening to what works for us and what doesn't. Please, fix the bugs people keep on telling you about.

Actually I just used this feature only because I truly wanted to hear from friends that have left a long time ago and I miss them. I am not doing it for the paid account thing.

Deleted comment

Deleted comment

This is a nice idea, but I don't honestly feel comfortable inviting back most of my absent friends, because I presume they left for a reason and no longer want to be here. It's not like they just forgot LJ existed. They either got tired of it or they went somewhere else that was more active. I would LOVE for them to return, but it seems a bit silly begging them to come back just for my sake, if they're happier now on other sites.

I still wish you could invite more than two people a day. Maybe five would be a better number. That way, we're not as liable to forget who we want to invite because you can invite so few people per day now (while keeping it from getting spammy).

I also wonder if it matter if the person has only made private posts...? I guess even if they updated twice in this year, but I can't read the entries...it won't count in this request process??

nucleosides

2 years ago

well isn't that pathetic. fits in right good with the pathetic changes you've been doing here in the last 3-4 years or something.
how low can you sink?
you had a loyal, large user base of happy people. and you managed - again and again and again - to antagonize every single one of them, in spite of all angry feedbacks, warnings of quitting, mentions of how unhappy they were every time you brought another stupid, unwanted "feature", or massacrated a good appreciated one. for the sake of what, innovation? wannabe-facebookition? too much sugar in your coffee during "creative" real or virtual brainstormings?
you brought that shit on yourselves - the people obviously really did quit, in larger amounts as you had expected to, seems. you were ready to sacrifice a good bunch of them on the altar of your new planning and design, well now stop whining, they're gone. and go on fooling around with your diminished userbase - of which i'm sure still many are unhappy and about to jump ship soon.
i'd rather stick my head in a fresh cow dump that whoring myself to save your butts ~