Related Entries, personalized LJ Maps, and Remember

Hello everyone! Today, we have 2 new features to talk about as well as an update on the Remember LiveJournal promotion.

Related Entries

The Related Entries feature has been added to the site which allows you to include a preview of your other entries at the bottom of any public post you make. The previews will appear to anyone directly viewing the entry, and you can choose to show up to 9 of your most recent entries, entries using the same tag as the one you are posting, or include specific entry URLs you would like to include. This feature can be used in a variety of ways, such as promoting your other entries, allowing others to quickly find things you've written on the same subject in the past, or as an easy way to link to other chapters of your book. For additional information on how to use this feature, check out the FAQ!

Related Entries

Personalized maps for LJ Maps

LJ Maps has been updated to include the ability for you to have your own personal version of the map which displays only your entries which have been added to the map. You can share this map with others as well, and in the near future we'll be adding embedding support so you can include your map in your profile or an entry to easily show others your places on the map! For additional information on how to use this feature, please see the LJ Maps FAQ.

Remember LiveJournal invite limit increased

Based on feedback, we have increased the daily number of invites that can be sent through the Remember LiveJournal from 2 to 10.
Tags: lj maps, related entries, remember

Ooh, the Related Entries feature will be great for people posting stories!

Does it work for communities as well? If not, are there plans to make it possible to use the feature in community posts?
Yep, it works for both journals and communities! The main restriction is that it will only work with public entries. an

lysanatt

2 years ago

theljstaff

2 years ago

lysanatt

2 years ago

schnee

2 years ago

dieastra

2 years ago

Just a suggestion... How about lowering the time a friend has been gone from LJ from 12 months to say, 6 or something? I have friends who have been gone for what seems like forever but not quite a full year and would like to invite them back.
The Related Entries feature looks nice, same as the LJ Maps one.
That being said I'd wish you'd spent more time on fixing/updating the root features of the site instead of adding tidbits that only a small amount of users will actually use.
+1 and then some!

fidgety

2 years ago

thats nice
The related entries thing is only for the users' own page, right?I wouldn't see them if the corresponding entry appeared on my feed?
Looks like. So if you read an entry on your friends page it'll appear normal as always, but if you visit somebody.livejournal.com/43234423223.html to read the comments you'll also see the related entries widget.

sireesanwar

April 17 2015, 18:17:13 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  April 17 2015, 18:20:06 UTC

I love the idea of the related entries for people doing fan-fiction, discussion posts for shows, movie reviews, book reviews... the opportunities are endless! Thanks for that smart upgrade! Now I just have to make sure it is coded for my layout! Hmmm...

Man, I use Flexible Squares and it isn't compatible... please work on that. *sending lots of good working vibes*
That's nice and all, but anyone I would invite back used LJ Login--and whatever you did to cookies or authentication on your last update borked it good and proper. You could at least contact slarti and let them know what you did, because they've got no idea.

You've made it abundantly clear that you don't care about RP journals (even though lots of those are paid and have extra user icons and thus add to your bottom line), but your "updates" are making it increasingly difficult to use the site. For anything. It would be nice if you could pretend to give a crap.

At least it's not logging me out anymore when I switch tabs to a different LJ page; that was hugely annoying.
THANK YOU. I was told in two separate support tickets on this in so many words that they have no intention of fixing it. I'm one of those people with a paid journal that utilized it and if it weren't for said journal being so established, I'd have bailed because of this issue alone.

igenlode

2 years ago

mannermakethman

2 years ago

"Related Entries" - this is a FANTASTIC IDEA!!

My only hope is that I will be able to access it, because every time LJ makes changes, I lose more functionality in my own LJ.

(This is partly because I have a protection against REDIRECTS. But, not all of it is due to this security precaution).
I kinda wonder how your minds at LJ HQ work since caring about your users definitely isn't your priority.

Wonderful example:
A few MONTHS back we, a good number of LJ users, reported a user who is (yes, STILL, to this day he's doing it) using a bot and stealing LJ entries, fanfictions from other users and posts them on his own site without their knowledge and permission, which IS illegal.
All you guys did was basically told us "Not my problem." and told us to pretty much fuck off and not to bug you with it.

Just a few DAYS ago a very similar thing happened to AO3 users, but the big difference?
They gave a damn! They went above and beyond to protect the users and within 3 days all stolen works and links were removed from the website!

And you still wonder why LJ is a sinking ship...
THIS!
I have remove all my novels from LJ.

angels_trap

2 years ago

debris_k

2 years ago

angels_trap

2 years ago

debris_k

2 years ago

angels_trap

2 years ago

debris_k

2 years ago

Is it possible to add "Related Entried" widget to old posts without manually editing each of them?
but when are we getting tags back in the scrapbook
it's too stupid to use the 1st image in post as a preview picture: what about graphical smileys? :(((
if you use 1st image, please, make some restrictions: for example, "minimum 160px wide or high"
two more ideas:

1) related post based on one tag is not a good idea. it would be great to see there the posts with the same (or almost the same) combination of tags as "related entries"

2) randomize related entries, based on tags, please. because now they are exactly the same: if a have a 10 posts with "related entries" turned on and basen on "music" tag, all these 10 posts will have the same footer - last N posts with "music" tag. no flight of fancy at all :( what about N years old posts in "related", for example? ;)
Aaaaand yet one more feature that I won't be able to use, as my journal style is flexible squares. Thanks for nothing. *sigh*
Related posts?

Oh yes thank you I can't tell you how much I LOVE being spammed by my own content...

zeitgeistic

April 18 2015, 00:20:57 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  April 18 2015, 00:22:02 UTC

I tried to use 3 related entries by tag today (Chameleon scheme) and it disappeared from the post when I posted. When I went in to edit (thought I'd just not turned it on) it was unchecked. Did this 2 more times and couldn't get related entries to show up. Is there a trick here?

eta - oh. public only? I never post public. How about getting this feature on friends only?

test

rmit_melf01

April 18 2015, 01:31:16 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  April 18 2015, 01:34:09 UTC

test comment
I have a friends-only journal, but that related entries feature sounds pretty dandy for someone who does public entries. Out of curiosity, does it apply to communities, too?
You're still going t keep tags as a way to find similar subjects in a journal, right? I have tags that go back over 10 years and I really don't want them to suddenly vanish now that there's a 'related entries' thing.
Oh, goodness, I didn't think about this! I sure hope they don't do away with tags!
for once, per se, good new idea - especially since:

- it's optional (yes, it's being not pushed on anybody, woohoo! but one can use it and enjoy)
- it's accessible too for people who still use the OLD layout (woohoo again! no "subtle" pushing towards new layout)
- it seems the very little amount of supported styles will be increased soon (amirite? right?)

and guess what, i could try it, cuz even if i kept the old layout, i have a supported style *yesss!* ~

now, the result ist NOT optimal ~ *siiiigh*
instead of small (S.M.A.L.L.) icons, or links, or anything discrete at the bottom of my test entry, i got this huge blobby bits as big as a user icon or more, with unscaled previews of a part of pictures from my related entries - no big use, and the whole module/widget is too voluminous.
also, the position/insertion of the widget (is it entry footer??), in my particular case (i use transparent spaces between entries) means that the widget is actually floating totally separated from the entry. it should be still part of the entry itself, like under the tags or i dunno where...
i can't use it like that ~ pity, for once that my old layout allowed an innovation.

all in all, good idea, but still need lots of work. please improve it.

I wish the limit were higher as to how many people you could send invite codes to. I have a lot of people on my friends' list who I'd really like to invite back to the site, but I appear to have hit the hard limit for invite codes again. :(

How do I get rid of my username next to all of my friends' usernames on my Friends Page?????
Greatly to my surprise, I can confirm that the 'related entries' feature works very nicely for me without Javascript :-)
Is there a reason previewing an entry before posting it brings up a log in screen? When I did log in, I got the following message:

As a security precaution, the page you're viewing requires a POST request, not a GET. If you're trying to submit this form legitimately, please contact us.

I'm using Firefox and I've already cleared my cache and cookies.
Why is it that when I so much as edit a tag on an entry from 8 years ago, my profile reflects that my journal was updated even when I haven't posted in seven months? Awwww, are we cheating metrics so we can fake the fact that our little blogging platform has officially died? How pathetic.