Related Entries, personalized LJ Maps, and Remember

Hello everyone! Today, we have 2 new features to talk about as well as an update on the Remember LiveJournal promotion.

Related Entries

The Related Entries feature has been added to the site which allows you to include a preview of your other entries at the bottom of any public post you make. The previews will appear to anyone directly viewing the entry, and you can choose to show up to 9 of your most recent entries, entries using the same tag as the one you are posting, or include specific entry URLs you would like to include. This feature can be used in a variety of ways, such as promoting your other entries, allowing others to quickly find things you've written on the same subject in the past, or as an easy way to link to other chapters of your book. For additional information on how to use this feature, check out the FAQ!

Related Entries

Personalized maps for LJ Maps

LJ Maps has been updated to include the ability for you to have your own personal version of the map which displays only your entries which have been added to the map. You can share this map with others as well, and in the near future we'll be adding embedding support so you can include your map in your profile or an entry to easily show others your places on the map! For additional information on how to use this feature, please see the LJ Maps FAQ.

Remember LiveJournal invite limit increased

Based on feedback, we have increased the daily number of invites that can be sent through the Remember LiveJournal from 2 to 10.
Tags: lj maps, related entries, remember

zeitgeistic

April 18 2015, 00:20:57 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  April 18 2015, 00:22:02 UTC

I tried to use 3 related entries by tag today (Chameleon scheme) and it disappeared from the post when I posted. When I went in to edit (thought I'd just not turned it on) it was unchecked. Did this 2 more times and couldn't get related entries to show up. Is there a trick here?

eta - oh. public only? I never post public. How about getting this feature on friends only?

test

rmit_melf01

April 18 2015, 01:31:16 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  April 18 2015, 01:34:09 UTC

test comment
I have a friends-only journal, but that related entries feature sounds pretty dandy for someone who does public entries. Out of curiosity, does it apply to communities, too?
You're still going t keep tags as a way to find similar subjects in a journal, right? I have tags that go back over 10 years and I really don't want them to suddenly vanish now that there's a 'related entries' thing.
Oh, goodness, I didn't think about this! I sure hope they don't do away with tags!
for once, per se, good new idea - especially since:

- it's optional (yes, it's being not pushed on anybody, woohoo! but one can use it and enjoy)
- it's accessible too for people who still use the OLD layout (woohoo again! no "subtle" pushing towards new layout)
- it seems the very little amount of supported styles will be increased soon (amirite? right?)

and guess what, i could try it, cuz even if i kept the old layout, i have a supported style *yesss!* ~

now, the result ist NOT optimal ~ *siiiigh*
instead of small (S.M.A.L.L.) icons, or links, or anything discrete at the bottom of my test entry, i got this huge blobby bits as big as a user icon or more, with unscaled previews of a part of pictures from my related entries - no big use, and the whole module/widget is too voluminous.
also, the position/insertion of the widget (is it entry footer??), in my particular case (i use transparent spaces between entries) means that the widget is actually floating totally separated from the entry. it should be still part of the entry itself, like under the tags or i dunno where...
i can't use it like that ~ pity, for once that my old layout allowed an innovation.

all in all, good idea, but still need lots of work. please improve it.

I wish the limit were higher as to how many people you could send invite codes to. I have a lot of people on my friends' list who I'd really like to invite back to the site, but I appear to have hit the hard limit for invite codes again. :(

How do I get rid of my username next to all of my friends' usernames on my Friends Page?????
Greatly to my surprise, I can confirm that the 'related entries' feature works very nicely for me without Javascript :-)
Is there a reason previewing an entry before posting it brings up a log in screen? When I did log in, I got the following message:

As a security precaution, the page you're viewing requires a POST request, not a GET. If you're trying to submit this form legitimately, please contact us.

I'm using Firefox and I've already cleared my cache and cookies.
Why is it that when I so much as edit a tag on an entry from 8 years ago, my profile reflects that my journal was updated even when I haven't posted in seven months? Awwww, are we cheating metrics so we can fake the fact that our little blogging platform has officially died? How pathetic.
Can someone at LJ please do something about your worthless new captcha system? It won't let anyone post. Don't you beta test these things before rolling them out?
So, the "link" link was borked, and now it's disappeared altogether on the default comment pages?

You are making this site completely useless for anything I actually use it for.
I just noticed you guys jacked up your prices like WHOA. :/ Won't be buying a paid account with extra userpics anytime soon, bubs.
I'm an avid contributor to Livejournal Maps in both Russian and English, however, my personalized Livejournal Map page is empty. Why?..
Why haven't you allowed comments on the last two posts? It seems you have reverted back to the old behaviour, entirely ignoring your users and their wishes.

Now what's the crap with the nav strip suddenly? You pushed it down our throats, and now that we use it, you remove it. Also, the old menu strip (old layout) is broken and has moved a few inches down the page, hiding links and text. Why don't you get that many of the users don't want your "improved" design? I mean, it's not like users have told you this repeatedly or anything.

Oh, and it says a lot about how you view the users that we can use/have friends filters back "later". Really reassuring.

tl;dr: you come out as untrustworthy assholes with no consideration for your users. Well done, LJ. Didn't take long to fuck up again.

Ah, I remember the good old days when the latest LJ fuckup resulted in hundreds and hundreds of angry comments from users demanding the latest godawful design feature be rolled back.

Now there's like, half a dozen of us?

lysanatt

2 years ago

gonzo21