Related Entries, personalized LJ Maps, and Remember

Hello everyone! Today, we have 2 new features to talk about as well as an update on the Remember LiveJournal promotion.

Related Entries

The Related Entries feature has been added to the site which allows you to include a preview of your other entries at the bottom of any public post you make. The previews will appear to anyone directly viewing the entry, and you can choose to show up to 9 of your most recent entries, entries using the same tag as the one you are posting, or include specific entry URLs you would like to include. This feature can be used in a variety of ways, such as promoting your other entries, allowing others to quickly find things you've written on the same subject in the past, or as an easy way to link to other chapters of your book. For additional information on how to use this feature, check out the FAQ!

Related Entries

Personalized maps for LJ Maps

LJ Maps has been updated to include the ability for you to have your own personal version of the map which displays only your entries which have been added to the map. You can share this map with others as well, and in the near future we'll be adding embedding support so you can include your map in your profile or an entry to easily show others your places on the map! For additional information on how to use this feature, please see the LJ Maps FAQ.

Remember LiveJournal invite limit increased

Based on feedback, we have increased the daily number of invites that can be sent through the Remember LiveJournal from 2 to 10.
Tags: lj maps, related entries, remember

Can someone at LJ please do something about your worthless new captcha system? It won't let anyone post. Don't you beta test these things before rolling them out?
So, the "link" link was borked, and now it's disappeared altogether on the default comment pages?

You are making this site completely useless for anything I actually use it for.
I just noticed you guys jacked up your prices like WHOA. :/ Won't be buying a paid account with extra userpics anytime soon, bubs.
I'm an avid contributor to Livejournal Maps in both Russian and English, however, my personalized Livejournal Map page is empty. Why?..
Why haven't you allowed comments on the last two posts? It seems you have reverted back to the old behaviour, entirely ignoring your users and their wishes.

Now what's the crap with the nav strip suddenly? You pushed it down our throats, and now that we use it, you remove it. Also, the old menu strip (old layout) is broken and has moved a few inches down the page, hiding links and text. Why don't you get that many of the users don't want your "improved" design? I mean, it's not like users have told you this repeatedly or anything.

Oh, and it says a lot about how you view the users that we can use/have friends filters back "later". Really reassuring.

tl;dr: you come out as untrustworthy assholes with no consideration for your users. Well done, LJ. Didn't take long to fuck up again.

Ah, I remember the good old days when the latest LJ fuckup resulted in hundreds and hundreds of angry comments from users demanding the latest godawful design feature be rolled back.

Now there's like, half a dozen of us?

lysanatt

2 years ago

gonzo21

2 years ago

lysanatt

2 years ago

gonzo21

2 years ago

lysanatt

2 years ago

gonzo21

2 years ago

lysanatt

2 years ago

gonzo21

2 years ago

iatrogenicmyth

2 years ago

sparowe

2 years ago

gonzo21

2 years ago

iwouldbegood

2 years ago

Suspended comment

sparowe

2 years ago

iwouldbegood

2 years ago

gonzo21

2 years ago

iwouldbegood

2 years ago

gonzo21

2 years ago

shatisarockgod

2 years ago

gonzo21

2 years ago

sparowe

2 years ago

gonzo21

2 years ago

sparowe

2 years ago

gonzo21

2 years ago

I can't help but notice you've disabled comments on the two most recent news posts. Particularly today's redesign.

Why, it's almost as if you know the few remaining users here will be completely negative about yet more horrendous design decisions or something.

For heaven's sake, start listening to the handful of people you still have who actually USE this site. And think very very carefully about what they say to you please.
Lol you're wasting your breath; they have their fingers stuck in their ears and LJ is going to shit because of it.

firebird308

2 years ago

gonzo21

2 years ago

shatisarockgod

2 years ago

gonzo21

2 years ago

Paid time when?

estelle

July 23 2015, 09:39:48 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  July 23 2015, 11:07:29 UTC

When will the paid time from Remember LiveJournal be credited?
Did anybody get it yet? Or did the people you brought back receive it?
Anyone? Because I am still waiting for mine months later.

RE: Paid time when?

nucleosides

July 29 2015, 00:30:26 UTC 1 year ago Edited:  July 29 2015, 00:33:00 UTC

I've been wanting to know this too. I've had two months of paid time credited to my account, but who won the contest/did anyone?

And editing this comment to add: The Remember LiveJournal page is now down, so maybe the contest ended.

I thought they couldn't make the interface any worse, but they just did.

Especially sporting of them to force it on us and not allow comments on the post announcing it. That's not at all tacky or anything.
The newer entires lacking a comment option seems to speak unpleasant volumes about the LiveJournal corporate culture: It says "We refuse to listen to our users/customers. Screw 'em!" pretty loud.

A recent update thrust the unwanted NavBar in my face yet again. While I did eventually figure out to get it scrubbed of my main LJ page again, in the process I 'tried' the new (decidedly NOT improved) 'friends feed' so now I have that in a horrible style I loathe (bright, nasty, inelegant) rather than matching the clean, readable, comfortable style of my main page.

The FAQ mentions an option to view the friends feed/list in the main journal style. Alas, this option is simply not there. What gives? How to get what I want back? Or do I give up and point everyone at my backup account, which is not controlled by LiveJournal, but by someone who understands customer service?
The problem is that the old "Friends" link was shifted (I am being generous and using an 'f' instead of another 't' there) from /friends to /feed. And the feed is craptacularly rotten.

The work-around to use the personal links list and make ones own Friends link that goes to /friends which is still displaying correctly. While doing that, one might as well duplicate the other provided links while they are still working correctly. Then when LJ screws those up, too, one will already have the errors bypassed. The only real problem is that one needs to relearn which links to use.

c_eagle

1 year ago

vakkotaur

1 year ago

c_eagle

1 year ago

c_eagle

1 year ago

c_eagle

1 year ago

vakkotaur

1 year ago

Say, LJ, I got some new buttons appearing in my journal today.

What are those for? What functionality do those add that wasn't there already? I could already collapse and expand comment threads perfectly well, but now I have the big clown car buttons too?

Instead of constantly trying to redesign LJ for an aesthetic for mobile devices and shafting desktop/laptop users, why don't you just focus on making the LJ App actually work? So then mobile users can use that instead?

Your few users left are very ~very~ close to the final tipping point of leaving your service now. Please stop actively trying to piss off your users.

And now all recent news posts past this point have comments disabled by default. It's like they don't care what we think any more.

gonzo21

1 year ago

nucleosides

1 year ago

beer_good_foamy

1 year ago

gonzo21

1 year ago

c_eagle

1 year ago

hughmhdancy

1 year ago

This really is some world class website design right here:

Yeah, that looks good.
Never mind how shit it looks for anyone still using Dystopia.

gonzo21

1 year ago

cactus_rs

1 year ago

gonzo21

1 year ago

glowing_dragon

1 year ago

gonzo21

1 year ago

glowing_dragon

1 year ago

gonzo21

1 year ago

glowing_dragon

1 year ago

gonzo21

1 year ago

glowing_dragon

1 year ago

gonzo21

1 year ago

glowing_dragon

1 year ago

gonzo21

1 year ago

glowing_dragon

1 year ago

good
BAD BAD BAD Feed Page!

Bring the LJ FRIENDS Format page back, PLEASE.. FAST! .... Cannot click back to the "Next 20 Entries" so I can't read all my friends entries! It just CUTS OFF!!
As of today my custom friends list shows zero entries. The only way to see anything is the main friends page, which of course litters it with every entry from all the journals I follow, making it a massive chore to find the ones I want in a hurry.

If it's a glitch, fine, but if it's permanent, I'm out of here, especially as my account expires in a few days anyway,
Really, nobody on the LJ team prepared to admit that banning people from commenting on news posts was a mistake?

How are the statistics on users looking lately?

No clues that maybe an endless series of wrong decisions are being made?

This. :(

gonzo21

1 year ago

....................................................................why the fuck does my profile reflect that my journal was updated when all I did was delete some old posts from ten years ago

Man, it doesn't look like you losers are trying to cheat metrics at all

So, things are pretty bad for you guys then, huh?

And they've disabled comments on every subsequent News entry since.

Major sad face.

Thank you

Suspended comment