With all our hearts

At long last, we're pleased to announce a new feature. Now, in journal and community entries, there's a button you can click to show the author you liked their entry.
I like this entry.png
We aim to make feedback to authors easier and quicker, as users don’t always have time to come up with a long comment, while short ones (like “+1” or ”cool photo”) often make us feel awkward. Yet it’s so important that authors receive feedback from their readers! Pressing the heart button is simple - it's like waving your hand to a friend, saying "Hi there, I read you!", or writing "Great post, thanks". This can often be the motivation for our favorite authors to write more.

A few words about new settings and options:

We are anxious and excited to hear your opinion about this new feature:) We hope you like it, but don’t hesitate to tell us what you don’t like or inform us of any problems you come across. We truly appreciate your feedback. So click the heart! :)

Tags: feedback

wicked_inque

November 1 2016, 15:20:39 UTC 4 months ago Edited:  November 1 2016, 15:22:22 UTC

One more way LJ is becoming like Facebook...

Don't like.

I would much rather someone takes the time to write a proper answer, even if it's just 'cool post' than to spastically click the heart button. Because there's no thought involved in doing it, the feedback is, essentially, meaningless.
Next thing you know, LJ admins are going to insist we go by our "real name."

RE: Totally agree

misstia

3 months ago

RE: Totally agree

yurikhan

3 months ago

Re: Totally agree

misstia

3 months ago

RE: Re: Totally agree

tabaqui

3 months ago

RE: Re: Totally agree

serai1

3 months ago

primula_baggins

4 months ago

wicked_inque

4 months ago

Please don't make LiveJournal look any more like Facebook. If I wanted people to be able to "Like" my messages I would be over there.

LiveJournal has become an afterthought for too many people. The best example of that is people who link their twitter accounts here but never really visit. It is a way to be here without really doing so.

+1 (Make it look like Google+)

nihao_62

4 months ago

That's a heart you haven't put on this entry, which is different from the "add to memories" heart, and also different from whatever "Pocket" is?
A ghostly halloween heart that has faded to invisibility with the dawn.

serai1

3 months ago

MY entries and comments are a way of talking to my friends.... and I HOPE they like to talk and chat back. If all I am going to get is stupid little 'likes' hearts or something, then my life will cease!!!

OH PLEASE my DEAR DEAR LJ FRIENDS, Alive and kicking and moaning and groaning and laughing and cackling along with me

PLEASE DO NOT REDUCE ME TO A GODDAMMED "Like"

Please do not make LJ like FB. It is a very different platform. If you must add this feature, then please make it so that anyone can opt out for their LJ.
Making the feature so that anyone who doesn't want it can opt out of it for their LJ is a good idea. Offering a lot of different features is great for people who want a lot of different features, but making many of them optional is great for people who are more selective. Then each person can have as many or as few features as they want.

serai1

3 months ago

xinef

3 months ago

serai1

3 months ago

darth_eldritch

3 months ago

xinef

3 months ago

xinef

3 months ago

Any chance of an opt out please?
How many times have we told you WE DON'T WANT LIKE BUTTONS HERE.
They don't care what anyone likes. Have they EVER retracted something people hated?

yeuxdebleu

3 months ago

nucleosides

3 months ago

lafinjack

3 months ago

thistle_chaser

November 1 2016, 15:59:21 UTC 4 months ago Edited:  November 1 2016, 15:59:55 UTC

If there were a dislike button for this change, I'd click it.
Yeah, at least FB has a "dislike" button. (And nuances representing various stages of grief.)

shutter

3 months ago

yurikhan

3 months ago

franklanguage

3 months ago

lafinjack

3 months ago

spikedluv

3 months ago

lafinjack

3 months ago

One more step down the slippery slope to official Facebook-ism.

*spits*
Gods no. WhT they said.

*dislike*

Can we opt out of this Facebookization please?

As everyone else has said, if I wanted to be posting on Facebook, I would be.

I don't want a vague "I liked this entry" that doesn't tell me whether someone enjoyed reading it, finds the information useful, disagrees but is glad I am talking about the topic, or clicked by accident. I'm trying to talk to friends, and have them talk to me in return.

And I certainly don't plan to tweet this and give my friends there the idea that I agree with you.
Ah, it's like the final nail in the coffin of LJ.

Remember back when the like button on LJ was put forward as an April Fools Day prank?

Like! I like this comment. And I can type an actual sentence to say so.

Furthermore, I actually have to type an actual sentence to say so, because for some bizarre reason, LJ is only giving us the option to click a meaningless "Like" button in response to full-length journal entries, while giving us no such option for responding to comments, even though comments are nearly always vastly shorter and could therefore be far more reasonably responded to with just a click of a "Like" button.

They obviously put less than 30 seconds into thinking about what would actually make sense or be useful before they made this change.

Facebook posts can reasonably be responded to with a mere click of a "Like" button because Facebook posts are usually very short and not very meaningful. LiveJournal posts are in no way comparable. LiveJournal comments, however, might actually be somewhat comparable.

swirlsofblue

4 months ago

Pressing the heart button is simple - it's like waving your hand to a friend, saying "Hi there, I read you!", or writing "Great post, thanks" --- um no it's not, I would much rather a "Great post, thanks" than a heart, hearts don't tell you anything, other than someone scrolled by your post and just hit the button just cause it was there, minimum obligation. It doesn't tell you if someone actually took the time to read your post. And it sure as hell doesn't give you feedback or an interaction. And they are not inspiring. They just make you feel like your post wasn't good enough to comment on.
That's the problem, isn't it? With all the social media out there, everything has become almost too simple!

We don't have to think, or come up with intelligent commentary, because a stupid button click will suffice!

As you say, minimum obligation.

Ah...the art of communication is dead. Truly.

annaserene

3 months ago

Where do I go to disable this? I don't want it on my LJ, at all.
Yeah!!!!!

So do not want. I'm not on Facebook for a reason. Grrrr.

primula_baggins

4 months ago

giselleverdand

3 months ago

Proof yet again that LJ is NOT listening to its userbase. People that use LJ use it because it is NOT facebook, and have no interest in it becoming more and more like facebook. Why is that so bloody hard for LJ to understand!?

-1!
+1

this is simply designed to piss off the few users who were idiotic enough to remain
If I wanted to be on Facebook, I would be on Facebook.
Yay!

For years, I've put a reaction poll at the end of every entry, inviting my readers to weigh in without too much effort. It's been wildly successful, letting everyone get a quick sense of who's around and listening.

Would I prefer a thoughtful comment? Of course. But let's be realistic--these days most readers are not at their desktop, monotasking with deep focus on LJ. They're on the bus, on the run, in between meetings. And they don't have time to leave a comment.

But they have time to vote in a poll, and the options I give let them quickly weigh in. (Facebook seems to have gone the same direction by adding options to their Like button.)

A quick mechanism to allow engagement--to allow us to know who's present--is great. I hope the interaction is smooth and easy. And the ability to comment is still there, of course.
I agree! It's much like the "kudos" button on AO3. Do I much prefer meaty substantive comments, even critical ones? Duh, what writer doesn't? But I'd much rather a pile of kudos or likes than nothing at all.
just in time to watch the majority of the LJ userbase desert the site. bravo
With all due respect...kill it instantly or make it disabled by default. By itself like conveys just a bit of information - yes or no while the majority of people over here are used to communicate in more informative ways. What is suitable for photos doesn't seem apt where more informative content is expected.
I feel like I should hate this, but I don't. Curious to see how it pans out.
It'll go like most every other change has gone the last few years: the users that hate it will claim that they speak for all users ("Nobody wanted this!") and the users that have quietly been waiting years for said feature will stop by to say thanks ("I will use this often, thanks.")

electricdruid

4 months ago

sparowe

3 months ago

olbuksings

3 months ago

Meh
Another nail in the coffin of conversation. Already on other sites people are more likely to click the favourite or kudos button than actually tell writers what they liked about a post, and especially for fic writers, we don't want 'Like', what we need is actual feedback, to know people are reading what we write and to hear what our stories mean to them. No one improves their storytelling skills from a bunch of meaningless 'Likes'. It's akin to writing in a vacuum where you can't tell if you touched your readers, made them happy, or sad, or scared, or caused them to laugh so hard they scared the dog.

Livejournal isn't facebook, and that's the whole reason most of us here have livejournals in the first place. We use them to communicate and have actual, even intelligent, conversations. The Like button is just another reason for people not to make an effort to talk to each other. Pretty soon people will forget how.
Totally agree! ♥

That's why I will always leave a comment, over a like. Communication needs to be two-way, and a thumbs up isn't really engaging. Hell, even something as inane as 'lol' as a comment tells me more about a story than 'like'. At least that way, I can surmise whomever found it funny somewhere along the way rather than wonder 'well, what did they like?'

~_^

badly_knitted

4 months ago

wicked_inque

3 months ago

badly_knitted

3 months ago

wicked_inque

3 months ago

badly_knitted

3 months ago

wicked_inque

3 months ago

badly_knitted

3 months ago

praxedes_osaka

4 months ago

badly_knitted

4 months ago

Whoever came up with this "like" idea is an moron.
Are there actually enough people here to still like things?

Out of curiosity, the voiceposts are totally dead and never coming back, right? That's something paid account people were supposed to have as one of the perks of continuing to pay money to a site that is barely alive and they haven't worked for over a year.

If they aren't something we get, you should really take that out of the paid account info.