With all our hearts

At long last, we're pleased to announce a new feature. Now, in journal and community entries, there's a button you can click to show the author you liked their entry.
I like this entry.png
We aim to make feedback to authors easier and quicker, as users don’t always have time to come up with a long comment, while short ones (like “+1” or ”cool photo”) often make us feel awkward. Yet it’s so important that authors receive feedback from their readers! Pressing the heart button is simple - it's like waving your hand to a friend, saying "Hi there, I read you!", or writing "Great post, thanks". This can often be the motivation for our favorite authors to write more.

A few words about new settings and options:

We are anxious and excited to hear your opinion about this new feature:) We hope you like it, but don’t hesitate to tell us what you don’t like or inform us of any problems you come across. We truly appreciate your feedback. So click the heart! :)

Tags: feedback

Proof yet again that LJ is NOT listening to its userbase. People that use LJ use it because it is NOT facebook, and have no interest in it becoming more and more like facebook. Why is that so bloody hard for LJ to understand!?

-1!
+1

this is simply designed to piss off the few users who were idiotic enough to remain
If I wanted to be on Facebook, I would be on Facebook.
Yay!

For years, I've put a reaction poll at the end of every entry, inviting my readers to weigh in without too much effort. It's been wildly successful, letting everyone get a quick sense of who's around and listening.

Would I prefer a thoughtful comment? Of course. But let's be realistic--these days most readers are not at their desktop, monotasking with deep focus on LJ. They're on the bus, on the run, in between meetings. And they don't have time to leave a comment.

But they have time to vote in a poll, and the options I give let them quickly weigh in. (Facebook seems to have gone the same direction by adding options to their Like button.)

A quick mechanism to allow engagement--to allow us to know who's present--is great. I hope the interaction is smooth and easy. And the ability to comment is still there, of course.
I agree! It's much like the "kudos" button on AO3. Do I much prefer meaty substantive comments, even critical ones? Duh, what writer doesn't? But I'd much rather a pile of kudos or likes than nothing at all.
just in time to watch the majority of the LJ userbase desert the site. bravo
With all due respect...kill it instantly or make it disabled by default. By itself like conveys just a bit of information - yes or no while the majority of people over here are used to communicate in more informative ways. What is suitable for photos doesn't seem apt where more informative content is expected.
I feel like I should hate this, but I don't. Curious to see how it pans out.
It'll go like most every other change has gone the last few years: the users that hate it will claim that they speak for all users ("Nobody wanted this!") and the users that have quietly been waiting years for said feature will stop by to say thanks ("I will use this often, thanks.")

electricdruid

1 year ago

sparowe

1 year ago

olbuksings

1 year ago

Meh
Another nail in the coffin of conversation. Already on other sites people are more likely to click the favourite or kudos button than actually tell writers what they liked about a post, and especially for fic writers, we don't want 'Like', what we need is actual feedback, to know people are reading what we write and to hear what our stories mean to them. No one improves their storytelling skills from a bunch of meaningless 'Likes'. It's akin to writing in a vacuum where you can't tell if you touched your readers, made them happy, or sad, or scared, or caused them to laugh so hard they scared the dog.

Livejournal isn't facebook, and that's the whole reason most of us here have livejournals in the first place. We use them to communicate and have actual, even intelligent, conversations. The Like button is just another reason for people not to make an effort to talk to each other. Pretty soon people will forget how.
Totally agree! ♥

That's why I will always leave a comment, over a like. Communication needs to be two-way, and a thumbs up isn't really engaging. Hell, even something as inane as 'lol' as a comment tells me more about a story than 'like'. At least that way, I can surmise whomever found it funny somewhere along the way rather than wonder 'well, what did they like?'

~_^

badly_knitted

1 year ago

wicked_inque

1 year ago

badly_knitted

1 year ago

wicked_inque

1 year ago

badly_knitted

1 year ago

wicked_inque

1 year ago

badly_knitted

1 year ago

praxedes_osaka

1 year ago

badly_knitted

1 year ago

Whoever came up with this "like" idea is an moron.
Are there actually enough people here to still like things?

Out of curiosity, the voiceposts are totally dead and never coming back, right? That's something paid account people were supposed to have as one of the perks of continuing to pay money to a site that is barely alive and they haven't worked for over a year.

If they aren't something we get, you should really take that out of the paid account info.
Верните всё как было.
I'm not crazy about this feature either. The reason I'm here is to encourage the use of full sentences and complete paragraphs -- to have actual in-depth communication. Interesting to note, however, that my older Live Journal layout (Flexible Squares) doesn't seem to allow for the hearts.
I'm still using Dystopia and S1, so....

serai1

1 year ago

gerald_duck

11 months ago

viridian5

11 months ago

gerald_duck

11 months ago

viridian5

11 months ago

Also, I'm curious if this is something that depends on your style since I never see it.
Probably. It might depend more on what site scheme you're using.

nakeisha

1 year ago

sweetmeow

1 year ago

hooloovoo_42

1 year ago

darth_eldritch

1 year ago

nakeisha

1 year ago

filkerdave

1 year ago

nakeisha

1 year ago

filkerdave

1 year ago

nakeisha

1 year ago

filkerdave

1 year ago

nakeisha

1 year ago

filkerdave

1 year ago

nakeisha

1 year ago

eve_n_furter

1 year ago

nakeisha

1 year ago

serai1

1 year ago

filkerdave

1 year ago

Probably this won't even get read, but dudes, don't make LJ into facebook. Please don't. The really GOOD THING about LJ (for me anyway) is that those who take the time to get in there and read aren't going to just "like/love" a post... they're going to say something.

PLEASE DON"T EVER get those lousy feeds where people see what other people commented on in posts that they don't even care about... all that just makes me insane.

Thanks, LJ for just being YOU for year after year after year... It's why I pay for my account. I want you to be YOU
Yes!

serai1

1 year ago

yes, finally!!! ♥ i always wanted this feature ^^