With all our hearts

At long last, we're pleased to announce a new feature. Now, in journal and community entries, there's a button you can click to show the author you liked their entry.
I like this entry.png
We aim to make feedback to authors easier and quicker, as users don’t always have time to come up with a long comment, while short ones (like “+1” or ”cool photo”) often make us feel awkward. Yet it’s so important that authors receive feedback from their readers! Pressing the heart button is simple - it's like waving your hand to a friend, saying "Hi there, I read you!", or writing "Great post, thanks". This can often be the motivation for our favorite authors to write more.

A few words about new settings and options:

We are anxious and excited to hear your opinion about this new feature:) We hope you like it, but don’t hesitate to tell us what you don’t like or inform us of any problems you come across. We truly appreciate your feedback. So click the heart! :)

Tags: feedback

Верните всё как было.
I'm not crazy about this feature either. The reason I'm here is to encourage the use of full sentences and complete paragraphs -- to have actual in-depth communication. Interesting to note, however, that my older Live Journal layout (Flexible Squares) doesn't seem to allow for the hearts.
I'm still using Dystopia and S1, so....

serai1

8 months ago

gerald_duck

4 months ago

viridian5

4 months ago

gerald_duck

4 months ago

viridian5

4 months ago

Also, I'm curious if this is something that depends on your style since I never see it.
Probably. It might depend more on what site scheme you're using.

nakeisha

8 months ago

sweetmeow

8 months ago

hooloovoo_42

8 months ago

darth_eldritch

8 months ago

nakeisha

8 months ago

filkerdave

8 months ago

nakeisha

8 months ago

filkerdave

8 months ago

nakeisha

8 months ago

filkerdave

8 months ago

nakeisha

8 months ago

filkerdave

8 months ago

nakeisha

8 months ago

eve_n_furter

8 months ago

nakeisha

8 months ago

serai1

8 months ago

filkerdave

8 months ago

Probably this won't even get read, but dudes, don't make LJ into facebook. Please don't. The really GOOD THING about LJ (for me anyway) is that those who take the time to get in there and read aren't going to just "like/love" a post... they're going to say something.

PLEASE DON"T EVER get those lousy feeds where people see what other people commented on in posts that they don't even care about... all that just makes me insane.

Thanks, LJ for just being YOU for year after year after year... It's why I pay for my account. I want you to be YOU
Yes!

serai1

8 months ago

yes, finally!!! ♥ i always wanted this feature ^^
Hmmm. Maybe 5/10 for the presentation*1, and 2/10 for the implementation. It's a bit random*2 whether it appears against any, some or all posts, apparently depending on what's around it, which browser the reader's using, and probably a whole lot else...

*1 Couldn't you have chosen something a lot more neutral than "Like" and a heart; I'm having bad flash-backs to the "I like..." debacle over the interests listed in profiles...

*2 Yeah, that's an understatement...
I agree on the wish for something more neutral than Like and heart. (The Kudos of AO3 is nice like that: much less "love" oriented.)
I don't see the feedback option in any of the posts, including the http://news.livejournal.com/ (viewed in original style, not mine).
I also see "Page not found" for http://www.livejournal.com/actions/liked.
Any idea why? I am a paid user.
You have to switch to the new LJ layout (friends feed, etc). I couldn't see it until I changed that.

sciuro

8 months ago

blue_ant

8 months ago

halfshellvenus

8 months ago

This is the most pointless, unnecessary, aggravating feature I have seen in a while.

This isn't Facebook. Most of us who are using LJ are here BECAUSE we don't want the Facebook experience.

I don't care if all I get is an "I completely agree" or "This." as a comment. That shows a great deal more effort was put into reading a post than a "like" button.

You yourself say: "Pressing the heart button is simple - it's like waving your hand to a friend, saying "Hi there, I read you!", or writing "Great post, thanks". This can often be the motivation for our favorite authors to write more."

As an author and a regular poster, I am a hell of a lot less motivated to write more if all I get is a stupid "heart" as a response. A click of a button is simple. Too simple. It means nothing. It means "hey I saw your post but I didn't actually read it but HEY I SAW YOU POSTED." Even a quick "Hooray!" or "Oh neat!" as a comment shows a lot more care and thought went into a reply than clicking a button.

You know who else can click buttons? Lab rats. Chimpanzees. Birds. Robots. Someone's backside as they sit on their phone.

So, no, I won't be clicking the heart. You can put as many cute colon-parentheses smileys in your announcement as you like. This feature is an insult to those of us who have stayed with LJ all these years, who do not want the "social media" experience, who would rather be posting to an empty room than getting a thoughtless, indifferent little "heart."
I so much agree with all of this! Never had a Facebook, never WANT a Facebook, I want a community where people have the intelligence and desire to have proper discussions, where people interact with each other in meaningful ways, where the art of conversation is alive and well. Like buttons are turning people into robots.

serai1

8 months ago

blue_ant

November 1 2016, 17:40:36 UTC 8 months ago Edited:  November 1 2016, 17:41:12 UTC

This is the feature that made me switch to the new LJ layout (which I am not in love with) but ... I am the worst at commenting, so this is awesome. Facebook destroyed me, but this feature is great on AO3, so A+ thanks.

Also, can this be on comments, too? That would be even more useful.
Agreed on the comments.

msmcfeeley

November 1 2016, 17:43:24 UTC 8 months ago Edited:  November 1 2016, 17:44:32 UTC

I can take it or leave it, see nothing wrong with it myself. Either use it or not, everyone can choose.
However reading comments people are up in arms about it (as expected). Many are freaking out that it's too much like Facebook, etc etc.
So to differentiate itself from Facebook, maybe there should be a 'dislike' button for posts too which everyone at FB seems to want. Which
would make this LJ feature DIFFERENT than Facebook who seems to only want positive things and nothing negative (which is what they've
said over the years, every time people suggest a 'dislike' button).. Life has both positives and negatives,
and putting a heart on something might not actually fit the situation.
How would adding another button make it not like Facebook? It's not WHICH buttons. It's the PRESENCE OF BUTTONS AT ALL that ruins things. Maybe you're happy with never knowing what anyone thinks (you really think those little numbers tell you ANYTHING?) but those of us who write and want to get FEEDBACK aren't interested in soulless machine likes. We want to know what people THINK.

msmcfeeley

8 months ago

serai1

8 months ago

msmcfeeley

8 months ago

If someone "likes" one of my posts instead of making a comment I am going to unfriend them. The whole point of LJ is discourse at a level you don't get on other platforms. Thanks for yet another useless feature.
Agreed! Let's keep the art of conversation alive instead of killing it with every click of a meaningless button.

dieastra

8 months ago

badly_knitted

8 months ago

Finally! This is definitely something that'll come in handy what with people being too quiet on here (yet still reading each other's entries) in general.

I can't see it on my layout, however. Is this only working for the standard, bare bones comment pages?
I don't know which version I'm using, but for me, I have to click the comment button on a post and then I see the option. It's not just on the regular friends page.

blue_ant

8 months ago

im_an_aaangel

8 months ago

Reason #73927 not to switch to the new layout style :)
"Like"

See, I "Like"d something and made a short comment!

poisonyoulove

8 months ago

If I want something that's more like Facebook, I'll use Facebook. Which I don't.

LiveJournal is about conversation, using words. This is a step in the wrong direction.
Exactly. People never talk about anything real on Facebook, and LJ has been the last remaining place where actual conversations happen. I hate to see a feature like this erode that even farther.

But mainly, I came here to pile in with nostalgia for the fact that Mirror-Spock was HOT. :O
I feel the same way as most of the above posters. I think this is a sad day and I also wish we could opt out. I don't like it at all.
If you must Facebookify LiveJournal by adding "Like" buttons, the more reasonable way to do it would be to give us the option to "Like" comments. Not full-length journal entries. Full-length journal entries deserve actual written replies.
Great point, i agree!

cricri_72

November 1 2016, 19:12:15 UTC 8 months ago Edited:  November 1 2016, 20:29:10 UTC

I prefer comments and conversation but sometimes I'm in a hurry and guess I'll use the "like" button like I use "kudos" on AO3. On the other hand I know that that's the case for others as well and I'll be happy to see a "like" from a friend. This feature might seem useless if you're posting thoughts and opinions but if you're posting fanfiction it says "I've read your work and I like it". That's a lot. Not everyone wants to say more, not everyone *can* say more. There are people out there who aren't good at expressing their thoughts or at writing (or at writing in english*).

To make this short - I don't see anything bad about this. It won't destroy conversation on LJ as long as you don't take away the features that help us to communicate.

* yes, I'm talking about me
The ONE thing I dislike about AO3 is that damn Kudos button. I'd rather not get a reaction at all than that lazy thing. I see someone's hit that button and all I can think is "but WHY do you say you liked it?"

storyfan

8 months ago

serai1

8 months ago

storyfan

8 months ago

Why is this feature not removed already? Nobody wants it but you.

*spits some more*
Unlike a lot of people here, I actually do like this new function.
The only problem is that I cannot see it :P
Me neither. [I'd just click a *nod* to that comment if I could...]
--Beth
I like the inclusion of this option. And all the diehards are missing the fact that part of the reason lj is less active is that people go where the reactions are. Fb, twitter, tumblr, etc all have a less-intimate way of interacting, a nonverbal expression of connection which most people need. Diehard LJers don't need it because we are comfortable with intimacy but lots of people have to work themselves up to something as naked as a comment. If we want LJ to grow, we've got to make it more emotionally accessible to people who aren't ready for direct interaction.
However, while I do like this feature I don't like ut well enough to switch to the redesign, so if it is not made available on old styles I'll never use it. Alternatively, you could make the new style more readable.

realterego

8 months ago

yomimashou

8 months ago

serai1

8 months ago

will it be implemented in the LJ app?
I've received an email saying someone 'liked' my post. Not who it was, and I can't see it anywhere on the post either. So it's pretty useless I would say.

Plus I want to interact with people properly, get to know them and look forward to hearing from them again perhaps. The 'like' button does none of that. Make it optional please.
I too received an email telling me 'someone' had liked my post, but not who the person was, which rather defeats the whole object of this feature - especially given it doesn't work for everyone. I do happen to know who did it, because they told me as they were just testing it.

However, unless the feature works for everyone or at the very least the email tells you who liked it, there really isn't any point to it. In fact it makes things worse because given some people can see it and might use it, they will never know that the person whose post they are liking won't see it - so again no point to it.

Thus, if you are going to keep it, LJ, please make it all inclusive.

kshandra

8 months ago

silvan_lady

8 months ago

kshandra

8 months ago

silvan_lady

8 months ago

It's not April Fool's Day, is it?

You must be joking. If I want FB I go over there ...
I don't know if it's too late now, but to make LJ different from FB and G+, I'd suggested "nod" "hug" and "shake" buttons to indicate the equivalent of nodding or shaking one's head or sending a hug. Because the real and troubling issues that people post here on LJ one often doesn't "like" but one wants to acknowledge that the friend has said those things.

Many commenters here prefer to insist on "real" comments, but the truth is that sometimes there isn't much to say in response. People like to feel heard however, and a simple "nod" can do that. People post more when they feel their words are being read.

--Beth

PS. From a technical standpoint, some themes don't seem to display these new heart buttons.
A nod or something else less love related would be good. Perhaps just a little A for Acknowledged would be enough.
DO NOT LIKE!

If I wanted to be on FB I'd be over there instead of here.
Worst idea ever!