With all our hearts

At long last, we're pleased to announce a new feature. Now, in journal and community entries, there's a button you can click to show the author you liked their entry.
I like this entry.png
We aim to make feedback to authors easier and quicker, as users don’t always have time to come up with a long comment, while short ones (like “+1” or ”cool photo”) often make us feel awkward. Yet it’s so important that authors receive feedback from their readers! Pressing the heart button is simple - it's like waving your hand to a friend, saying "Hi there, I read you!", or writing "Great post, thanks". This can often be the motivation for our favorite authors to write more.

A few words about new settings and options:

We are anxious and excited to hear your opinion about this new feature:) We hope you like it, but don’t hesitate to tell us what you don’t like or inform us of any problems you come across. We truly appreciate your feedback. So click the heart! :)

Tags: feedback

I'm glad to see that LJ is adding new things and being worked on! Not sure this is the new thing I'd have chosen, but I don't object to it and may use it in future.
Since you have two entries for the same new addition, I'm going to copy and paste this here as well, just in case:

"I think I would have preferred to have the word count limit raised more than anything else. I've pretty much stopped posting full entries here simply because they don't fit here, but they fit on pages like Dreamwidth and AO3. Now I just post that I've posted things on other places and linked to the different sites.

It was every entry there for a while, and I've posted longer stories here in the past. It doesn't make sense to throttle back the size of posts, if that's what you've done."

***There's my two cents.
Preaching to the choir! LJ character limits are crippling, I've had to split my Master Lists so many times and remove information from them because of it, as well as dividing fics that can be posted in one piece anywhere else =[
no! remove it!
I've just had my first "like" notification. It just says "someone" not who and as I don't use post titles it's completely impossible to tell from the notification which post they actually liked.

It's not a bad idea but there are a few teething difficulties!
Hello! I came over here to find out if there was a reason they weren't telling me which post 'someone' liked. I hadn't realised it's because I don't use titles, I thought they had just decided that human identity is fleeting and words are meaningless, and 'someone liked something' is as much information as you could possibly need.

I should have known my flist would know better.
I don't really care about this either way, except that I would like to be able to switch off the notification emails, and there doesn't seem to be any way do do it.
I wouldn't mind this feature, but I'm not about to change to the "new" version for it. This means I won't see it, and fair enough, but I'd really appreciate some clarification about whether that also means that no one else will see it on my posts.
Others using the new scheme will see it on your posts, as far as I can see. (Another old style user here.)

trobadora

6 months ago

eve_n_furter

6 months ago

trobadora

6 months ago

eve_n_furter

6 months ago

misstia

6 months ago

I wondered what this was at first...

I don't want this either. (I seem to recall the vast majority of commenters were opposed to it when you first suggested this feature, which shows how much you "truly appreciate our feedback"!) Thankfully I use an old site scheme so I'm not seeing it, but will other people see a "like" button on posts I make, and pointlessly click on that instead of commenting? If so, PLEASE give me a way to switch it off.
Wow. This sucks. If I wanted a fucking "Like," I'd post to Facebook.

Can we turn this feature off on our journals and communities, because I'd rather have no comments at all than a lazy, buttonclick "Like."
Ok I just got a bunch of emails that someone liked my community post.

DO NOT WANT.

Cannot figure out how to turn these OFF!! HELP!

TIA
So much crying.
I actually have no problem with this - apart from not being able to work out how to actually 'like' something - where is the new 'like' heart to be found?
Don't like one bit, thankfully I don't have to see it since I will never change to the new friends page.

If I wanted a facebook like/love button, I would have a facebook account.

I like getting comments and making them.

I am a blind user and use a screen reader to read web content. In your post, the "Like" graphic was kinda-sorta labeled with a filename as, "I like this entry.png" However, when I reached the bottom of the post, the only graphic I could find appeared to be labeled with a number sign, "#"

Leaving aside the debate of whether or not the Like button is a good feature, it would be nice if you could do all users the courtesy of ensuring that proposed new features are accessible. The mish-mash of styles you currently employ on pages across the site is already frustrating enough--for example, sometimes headings that provide semantic meaning are present, sometimes there are no headings at all.

Dan
Why?
Likes are not feedback, period.
Hi guys,
Is it possible to do something about this?
With your new improvement I am not able to read LJ.

Hello
Please indicate, Opera browser version, and the version of the android

_glav_

6 months ago

prophet08

6 months ago

_glav_

6 months ago

Add me to the 'do not wants' please! Can we opt out of this facebookization? I deleted my facebook. I don't want to go back to 'likes'. What's next? Deciding what we see in our feeds by on some algorithm that becomes are great decider? One of the great things about LJ is the ability to actually converse with people. Another would be where we have control over what is in our feeds, customization, etc.

I don't want a like button, and I hope someone figures out how to turn it off. I want feedback that is FEEDBACK. +1 or cool photo is more feedback than a 'like' button. People will just start mindlessly hitting the like button automatically as on FB.
Well, I don't like this entry.

Your own example shows why this is a stupid idea. How a like can be the answer to those question. Imagine it in a real conversation. Some asking: " Was the experience of going through an airport and flying what you expected to be?..." And his interlocutor replies: "Like". Wouldnt you think he is stupid or out of his mind?

I think the best option would be to make it optional for each entry. If someone post a simple photo the like wouldn't be so bad. But if in the entry people are asking about our opinion or some feedback it seems kind of useless.
I do not see any notifications related to likes in the account settings page. I use flexible squares, so I don't see the like button and am not able to use it, however the option to receive notification of likes is separate to display settings and it should be there. There is a 'vacant promo slot' that has no ticks and which i dont remember, but some of my friends found out about this by receiving notifications and so i assume that isnt it as it is not ticked.

I do not like the choice of heart either.
When does the name-change to "Facebook" happen?
This. Seriously.

nucleosides

6 months ago

Where do I go to turn this 'feature' off??
If I wanted to be on Facebook, I would go to Facebook.
PLEASE stop trying to copy them because it's so not worth it. Livejournal has always been better then Facebook, don't ruin it now. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm on Facebook only because family members and close friends are, and I don't even want to be there.

(Facebook got into a kerfluffle with me over me not using my real name there for awhile because of the DV thing, even though I had written proof of everything.)

thespian15

6 months ago

FINALLY!!!!

hippasaurus

November 2 2016, 03:58:31 UTC 6 months ago Edited:  November 2 2016, 04:03:20 UTC