With all our hearts

At long last, we're pleased to announce a new feature. Now, in journal and community entries, there's a button you can click to show the author you liked their entry.
I like this entry.png
We aim to make feedback to authors easier and quicker, as users don’t always have time to come up with a long comment, while short ones (like “+1” or ”cool photo”) often make us feel awkward. Yet it’s so important that authors receive feedback from their readers! Pressing the heart button is simple - it's like waving your hand to a friend, saying "Hi there, I read you!", or writing "Great post, thanks". This can often be the motivation for our favorite authors to write more.

A few words about new settings and options:

We are anxious and excited to hear your opinion about this new feature:) We hope you like it, but don’t hesitate to tell us what you don’t like or inform us of any problems you come across. We truly appreciate your feedback. So click the heart! :)

Tags: feedback

will it be implemented in the LJ app?
I've received an email saying someone 'liked' my post. Not who it was, and I can't see it anywhere on the post either. So it's pretty useless I would say.

Plus I want to interact with people properly, get to know them and look forward to hearing from them again perhaps. The 'like' button does none of that. Make it optional please.
I too received an email telling me 'someone' had liked my post, but not who the person was, which rather defeats the whole object of this feature - especially given it doesn't work for everyone. I do happen to know who did it, because they told me as they were just testing it.

However, unless the feature works for everyone or at the very least the email tells you who liked it, there really isn't any point to it. In fact it makes things worse because given some people can see it and might use it, they will never know that the person whose post they are liking won't see it - so again no point to it.

Thus, if you are going to keep it, LJ, please make it all inclusive.

kshandra

1 year ago

silvan_lady

1 year ago

kshandra

1 year ago

silvan_lady

1 year ago

It's not April Fool's Day, is it?

You must be joking. If I want FB I go over there ...
I don't know if it's too late now, but to make LJ different from FB and G+, I'd suggested "nod" "hug" and "shake" buttons to indicate the equivalent of nodding or shaking one's head or sending a hug. Because the real and troubling issues that people post here on LJ one often doesn't "like" but one wants to acknowledge that the friend has said those things.

Many commenters here prefer to insist on "real" comments, but the truth is that sometimes there isn't much to say in response. People like to feel heard however, and a simple "nod" can do that. People post more when they feel their words are being read.

--Beth

PS. From a technical standpoint, some themes don't seem to display these new heart buttons.
A nod or something else less love related would be good. Perhaps just a little A for Acknowledged would be enough.
DO NOT LIKE!

If I wanted to be on FB I'd be over there instead of here.
Worst idea ever!
I'm glad to see that LJ is adding new things and being worked on! Not sure this is the new thing I'd have chosen, but I don't object to it and may use it in future.
Since you have two entries for the same new addition, I'm going to copy and paste this here as well, just in case:

"I think I would have preferred to have the word count limit raised more than anything else. I've pretty much stopped posting full entries here simply because they don't fit here, but they fit on pages like Dreamwidth and AO3. Now I just post that I've posted things on other places and linked to the different sites.

It was every entry there for a while, and I've posted longer stories here in the past. It doesn't make sense to throttle back the size of posts, if that's what you've done."

***There's my two cents.
Preaching to the choir! LJ character limits are crippling, I've had to split my Master Lists so many times and remove information from them because of it, as well as dividing fics that can be posted in one piece anywhere else =[
no! remove it!
I've just had my first "like" notification. It just says "someone" not who and as I don't use post titles it's completely impossible to tell from the notification which post they actually liked.

It's not a bad idea but there are a few teething difficulties!
Hello! I came over here to find out if there was a reason they weren't telling me which post 'someone' liked. I hadn't realised it's because I don't use titles, I thought they had just decided that human identity is fleeting and words are meaningless, and 'someone liked something' is as much information as you could possibly need.

I should have known my flist would know better.
I don't really care about this either way, except that I would like to be able to switch off the notification emails, and there doesn't seem to be any way do do it.
I wouldn't mind this feature, but I'm not about to change to the "new" version for it. This means I won't see it, and fair enough, but I'd really appreciate some clarification about whether that also means that no one else will see it on my posts.
Others using the new scheme will see it on your posts, as far as I can see. (Another old style user here.)

trobadora

1 year ago

eve_n_furter

1 year ago

trobadora

1 year ago

eve_n_furter

1 year ago

misstia

1 year ago

I wondered what this was at first...

I don't want this either. (I seem to recall the vast majority of commenters were opposed to it when you first suggested this feature, which shows how much you "truly appreciate our feedback"!) Thankfully I use an old site scheme so I'm not seeing it, but will other people see a "like" button on posts I make, and pointlessly click on that instead of commenting? If so, PLEASE give me a way to switch it off.
Wow. This sucks. If I wanted a fucking "Like," I'd post to Facebook.

Can we turn this feature off on our journals and communities, because I'd rather have no comments at all than a lazy, buttonclick "Like."
Ok I just got a bunch of emails that someone liked my community post.

DO NOT WANT.

Cannot figure out how to turn these OFF!! HELP!

TIA