With all our hearts

At long last, we're pleased to announce a new feature. Now, in journal and community entries, there's a button you can click to show the author you liked their entry.
I like this entry.png
We aim to make feedback to authors easier and quicker, as users don’t always have time to come up with a long comment, while short ones (like “+1” or ”cool photo”) often make us feel awkward. Yet it’s so important that authors receive feedback from their readers! Pressing the heart button is simple - it's like waving your hand to a friend, saying "Hi there, I read you!", or writing "Great post, thanks". This can often be the motivation for our favorite authors to write more.

A few words about new settings and options:

We are anxious and excited to hear your opinion about this new feature:) We hope you like it, but don’t hesitate to tell us what you don’t like or inform us of any problems you come across. We truly appreciate your feedback. So click the heart! :)

Tags: feedback

Nice
I like it. Thank you for adding it.
Is this only for mobile users? Where on the Desktop version is the like heart?
Are the reports that you've moved your servers to Russia true?
Why the hell is your site broken?
Could you please address the rumors regarding the servers moving to Russia? There has been a lot of uneassiness in the community about how this could impact your users privacy and rights over their content, with people deleting their journals and mass migrating to other similar blog services. Some official confirmation could go a long way in reassuring those still unsure about what to do.
If you check on a geolocation site, such as iplocation•net, you'll find that all user domains are now located in Moscow. www•livejournal•com is still in San Francisco, but all domains of the form (user)•livejournal•com that I've checked are in Russia.

Why haven't they told us? Well, news•livejournal•com is also located in Moscow.

As far as I'm concerned, LJ is now dead. There's no reason to think we have any privacy any more. Move to Dreamwidth.
I guess what I want to know is, why was there reason to think we had any privacy or control before? We didn't when 6A owned the site. SUP has had access to our data for nearly a decade. The servers moved from California to Montana years ago, and supposedly content was being shifted between the US and Russian servers over the past five years, so I am confused why there is suddenly so much distress about it.
Six Apart had no connection of any kind to the Russian government.

The reason for enduring (though being suspicious about) SUP's acquisition was its promise that the data for US (and I think western European) accounts remained in the US, mostly out of the Russian government's reach.

I don't know what your account of the timing is based on; you may have information I wasn't aware of. However, geolocation information showed www•livejournal•com in San Francisco a couple of days ago, and in Moscow today. So at least some critical servers have been moved very recently.

Why is the move from California to Montana relevant? Is there any aspect of state law or practice that makes Montana more prone to state snooping and censorship?
6A could (and did) delete journals, based on locked content that in principle they weren't supposed to be monitoring unless there was evidence of illegal activity (and no one is ever going to convince me that Harry Potter fan fiction or discussions of Lolita constituted "illegal activity"). I haven't checked where livejournal.com itself was resolving since the last great LJ outage in 2011, but my own account has been identifying its location as Russia for some time. I'm not sure of how US law works -- if my personal content was on Russian servers but the server nominally running the site was in the US, did that change my legal rights or the site's? I brought up Montana because the servers themselves have been in Montana for ages even while there were corporate offices in San Francisco, so the "LJ's American servers were in San Francisco until this week!" reposts don't seem terribly accurate. Again, I don't know the law, so I'm not sure whether having one single server in California while the rest of the data was being shuttled between Montana and Moscow protected us somehow.

What I do know is that I've clicked on all the LJs being linked to as purged accounts, and they all load for me. I don't know whether the settings are different for US and European users -- can LJ block accounts in one region while allowing them to load in another region? I've seen people assume censorship before when in fact it was ongoing LJ technical stupidity like whatever has frequently made my Scrapbook not work for three nights in a row (which I suppose could be SUP monitoring the material, but it's been happening on and off since Scrapbook became a feature of LJ). Of course I don't want to support censorship, but is there a risk that if US bloggers flee LJ en masse, SUP will use that as an excuse to shut down LJ altogether, thus deleting a lot of non-US blogs who have fewer hosting options?

I've had a permanent account since before SUP, so it's not like I've ever given SUP money, and my content is locked, so I'm not bringing new readers or advertisers to the site. I just want to know exactly what is going on and whether there's any reason to believe things are suddenly much more dire than they've been in all these years when Russian owners have had control of pretty much anything they wanted on the site in the same way that 6A did. I've long assumed that any site owner, whether it's US owned or foreign, is going through anything I post, locked or not, and I'm not sure why Putin having access to my information on LJ should be scarier to me than Trump having access to it via Blogger (Google), Tumblr (Yahoo), etc. I just want facts rather than warnings. What can actually happen if every bit of LJ is now in Moscow to both US and Russian bloggers?

madfilkentist

1 month ago

moem.dreamwidth.org

1 month ago

So what's up with LJ turning off https?
I do not see any "hearts" in my LJ. Moreover, received a couple of notifications that "somebody liked my post" but cannot see who it was either.
How can I enable this feature in my journal? Help please.
Do you have some of old layouts? I do, and I see that heart after logging off. So looks like they are seen only in that default layout.
same here... I at least would like to know who liked something... but being able to turn it off would even be better...
it's like waving your hand to a friend, saying "Hi there, I read you!

No it's not. All the notification says is "Someone likes your entry" without telling me WHO, so it's like an unknown person playing ding-dong-ditch. That's not only useless, it's downright upsetting.
Thanks for the meaningless feature for this irrelevant site. Another notification for me roll my eyes and delete from my mail.
I thought it was creepy... suddenly getting emails that "someone liked your post" with no idea who it was. This is not useful to me. I had not been concerned about keeping all my posts "friends only" but I will now, because who wants some random unknown person saying they like reading and looking at my photos!

onb2017

January 16 2017, 00:29:57 UTC 1 month ago Edited:  January 16 2017, 04:21:38 UTC

Sorry, didn't read all the comments, maybe someone else has already asked that. Or am I the only cynical one? Anyway, can I remove or disable the damn heart? It is so freaking cheesy. Besides, people should have choice.

PS Turns out the feature disappears when you switch to old style. So if the opt-out is not available I will have to switch to the old style because I cannot stand those hearts. Sorry.
Unfortunately the old style only prevents people using the old style from seeing the hearts. So people who use the new style will still see heart symbols on your post, and you'll still get e-mails telling you "Someone liked your post!", with no way of ever finding out who.
Thanks, I have already figured that out because when I checked my account without being logged from phone, for example, even in old style design it still shows the hearts and other people can see them. So this is sort of delusional solution: if I don't see it it doesn't exist. Actually it does. Besides, the notifications, like you mentioned. So it won't work. But I want them out. I read few comments and I would say at least around half of the people want to get rid of them.
I think it's far more than half. But LJ, as usual, won't care.
It's because I read only a couple of pages of comments. If they don't care and they obviously don't, would it be effective to turn rating off so they cannot use your entries on LJ pages that feature the latest or the most popular or whatever, so it would deter advertisers?

I also know that they manipulate rating, I have no idea if it is true for the English-speaking audience but for Russians they certainly do. They have about 4 or 5 douche bags with patriotic rhetoric that dominate the top. And it is all chill until they have masses of idiots around that contribute their work so advertisers fill the pockets of LJ or whoever owns it but I wonder what would happen if all people made their entries private somehow, I bet they wouldn't like it. It is only business after all, nothing personal.
LJ moved its servers because Russian law requires all information on Russians to be stored inside its borders, on back-doored servers. Putin's government has permanently blocked LinkedIn for the same reason.

Here's the story, with obligatory URL obfuscation:

techno-liberty•info/2017/01/17/russia-server/
Damnit LJ, spambots are using that stupid feature to pester me on entries ranging from 6 months to 10 FUCKING YEAR old.
I don't want to turn off the "notification", I want the button entirely removed from every single one of my entries.
Is there a way to disable this feature? Like many commenting here, I value the deeper conversation livejournal enables, and do not want interactions to be reduced to liking.