With all our hearts

At long last, we're pleased to announce a new feature. Now, in journal and community entries, there's a button you can click to show the author you liked their entry.
I like this entry.png
We aim to make feedback to authors easier and quicker, as users don’t always have time to come up with a long comment, while short ones (like “+1” or ”cool photo”) often make us feel awkward. Yet it’s so important that authors receive feedback from their readers! Pressing the heart button is simple - it's like waving your hand to a friend, saying "Hi there, I read you!", or writing "Great post, thanks". This can often be the motivation for our favorite authors to write more.

A few words about new settings and options:

We are anxious and excited to hear your opinion about this new feature:) We hope you like it, but don’t hesitate to tell us what you don’t like or inform us of any problems you come across. We truly appreciate your feedback. So click the heart! :)

Tags: feedback

This doesn't appear on my journal. I'm sure it has to do with something in my custom layout so I would like a little help to know what I should modify to make it appear.
I like having it. A nice way of saying thank you for someone's time and effort posting when you don't have time or inclination to say anything back. I don't have any problems with people not using it.

mosinging1986

November 2 2016, 13:41:24 UTC 1 year ago Edited:  November 2 2016, 13:51:45 UTC

Clicking a button is NOT feedback. It's just another way to pretend you're Facebook. It's just another way to eliminate actual INTERACTION. That's why many of us LEFT Facebook in the first place!

We truly appreciate your feedback.

This is the part that gets me so annoyed. Why? Because it's so clearly a lie. Just like so many other "new features", you get your users saying, "We don't want or even need this!"

What does LJ do? Ignore them and do whatever the blazes they want anyway. NEVER have I seen a response from anyone at LJ on these types of posts.

You don't give a rat's tail about our feedback, opinions, or anything else. Stop lying and saying you do. At least do that. At least be honest.
It's also why some of us NEVER WENT TO FACEBOOK in the first place, but stayed HERE while half the LJ population left in a bratty huff. And abandoned this platform to be sold and twisted and ruined bit by bit.

YEAH, THANKS GUYS. Great friends you turned out to be.

mosinging1986

1 year ago

serai1

1 year ago

siberian_angel

November 2 2016, 13:53:41 UTC 1 year ago Edited:  November 2 2016, 13:57:45 UTC

DO NOT LIKE THIS.
Honestly, there's a reason I am HERE instead of on Facebook. Please, I beg you, STOP making LJ into a clone of Facebook! This does not give the poster more feedback. This gives the lazy people an excuse to just click a button instead of engaging in interaction. And interaction with my friends list, that's what I am here for.

You keep saying you truly value ur feedback. Then why in God's name do you not listen? This is exactly what so many DO NOT want, more options to make LJ look like Facebook.
They don't value our feedback, and they never have.

PEOPLE KEEP FORGETTING WHO OWNS LIVEJOURNAL NOW.

You think they want feedback? You think they want opinions? You think they WANT US HERE AT ALL???

Of course not. Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if LJ didn't get bought so it could be used to gather data. WE WILL NEVER MATTER TO THEM.
How do I turn this off? I don't want people "liking" my entries. One of the reasons I made an account here was because I wanted to stay away from "likes", "ratings", and all of those other elements of popularity contests.
Same here. I don't want people having even the option of liking my enties. A 'Like' is meaningless, I want to hear what people think and feel, not a bland and insipid like which doesn't even necessarily mean they read it, just that they were passing and clicked a button because it was there.

So far someone has 'Liked' one of my posts to a community. The story I posted is not there but on my journal, I simply post links to relevant communities. I don't even know WHO liked it, just that some anonymous person did. How can that be equated to feedback? I want to turn this feature OFF and keep it off. How do I do that?
Hmmm. The existence of "Like" on Facebook is justified, because most of the time people post short low-effort posts such as quizzes and memes, links to articles, photos without an accompanying story, somebody else's re-shared posts, "showerthoughts" and quotes, etc. On LJ, most of the posts are high-effort, thoughtful and with original content. They deserve a better feedback than a button click. Maybe even a like is better than nothing (although it's totally useless if it doesn't give you the name of the person who provided the feedback), but in general, encouraging the users of a writing/journaling site to interact in primitive pictograms is not a good thing.

THIS. A 'like' to a five hundred word meta post, or a couple-thousand word fic post is just...pointless.

serai1

1 year ago

badly_knitted

1 year ago

Absolutely do not 'like' it, at all. And am pleased to report it doesn't show up on my 'theme' at all. Yay! If it did, however, I would opt out. There should *always always always* be an opt out, if you're not going to make crap like this 'opt in' to begin with.
Meh. Isn't the reason we're all here is to actually interact with people? Why dumb it down to fb standards? But, really, since I am here for that personal interaction, I don't use the shortcuts anyway. It will really come down to those who care enough to really interact and invest the time to comment personally will continue to do so; those who don't will use the buttons so they can let me know they were here, but don't care enough to take the time to actually let me know what they think or feel. & in doing so will fall just a little bit in my esteem so that any later comments may not carry the importance to me that they may have before.
It's why I hate Tumblr so much. All you get over there is reblogging and likes. No one ever says why they liked something or didn't like it! Here I made friends through conversations in our comments. How can you really get to know people (even on the social media level) by just clicking a button?

I know that as a writer I've started posting less. I still write for myself, but the enthusiasm for sharing it has lessened with the scarcity of feedback in the last few years. If I don't know that I'm connecting with people, it's like posting into a vacuum. *shrugs*
I hear you. Where I used to lots of comments on a story, now I'm lucky if I get 2 or 3. It's all because nobody wants to take thirty seconds out of their day and SAY SOMETHING. It makes me feel like just quitting writing sometimes. And now these stupid buttons? What's next, eternal scrolling???

bradygirl_12

1 year ago

The ONE THING that makes Livejournal different is the ABSENCE of those HORRIBLE like buttons! On LJ, people TALK TO EACH OTHER. Now you've just made it possible for people to avoid commenting on a post or a comment EVER. The fact that LJ DOESN'T have those horrible horrible like buttons is what MAKES THIS PLACE A COMMUNITY, instead of some stupid pinboard where nobody ever talks to each other and it's all about ME ME ME ME and noone ever engages. This isn't a laundry list or a scrapboard or a stupid bookmarking site.

IT'S A COMMUNITY. STOP TRYING TO MAKE IT A WIDGET.

GOD**** F***ING FACEBOOK HAS TO GOD**** RUIN EVERYTHING.

TAKE THIS AWAY PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
On my phone, the heart icon is far too close to the number where you click to see comments. I've accidentally 'liked' 3 posts today when I just wanted to read the comments.

Liked? Far from it.

thalia_moirai

November 2 2016, 17:03:07 UTC 1 year ago Edited:  November 2 2016, 17:03:56 UTC

I completely dislike the new "heart" feature. What a waste. I want to opt-out of this feature.
Oh, jeez. This was the LAST thing I wanted in LJ.

Live Journal has been the last bastion of sites where people actually COMMENT on things, which is what makes writing and posting worthwhile. The "Kudos" button at Archive Of Our Own (AO3) is hated by a lot of authors for that reason-- people leave actual comments at LJ and at fanfiction.net, but just hit the "Kudos" button at AO3.

It is actually very UNrewarding to put real effort into working up an entry and just get "like" as a response. :(

I need a "Hate" button for this concept.

Wow, the angry comments are surprising. I've long lost count of how many times I've seen people respond, "We really need a like button," and such to a comment. I mean, if you don't want to use the like button... don't?

Personally, I'm pleased. The like button may not be particularly deep, but neither are dozens of "+1" or "I agree" responses to things. It's a quick, simple way of saying, "I have nothing to add but I'm with you."
How about if you don't want people using the like button on your entries?

dustbunny105

1 year ago

clauclauclaudia

1 year ago

*dislike*

Let us opt out, or give us more nuance than just a heart (you know, like Facebook recently did).

Better yet, both!