What's up with those servers?

People have started to mail me lately wondering when the new servers are coming in. Some have even went so far as to think I spent all the money on cocaine, hookers, and laxatives. I can assure you, though, that is not the case.

I've been meaning to post this for a long time, but haven't got much free time. Here's the deal ---- I've got the quote from Dell for the servers. The cost is about $15,000. So far we've raised almost $12,000. For now I'll just front the $3,000, or borrow it from someone ... that's not a big issue.

I haven't ordered the servers yet. I tried to last week but I have to wait for the money to be transferred from paypal.com and ibill.com into livejournal's bank account.

The real hold-up though is the issue of colocation ... there are currently three options available: 1) InterNAP.com. these guys rule. it doesn't get any better than internap, and they're right here in seatte. con: expense. about $3,000/month. however, i already pay about $2,000/month for my other servers per month which i'd be ditching, so it's only an increase of $1,000/month. is that doable? kinda risky. 2) Speakeasy.net. These guys rule too, and they use internap.com for their network, and I could probably get something less than a full rack from them, so it'll be cheaper. con: they're full right now. they're supposed to have new space "soon"? 3) At a company in California. con: I'm not in California.

So, I'm going to order them as soon as I can next week and then work on setting them up in my house until I find a colo place in Seattle that has space and is affordable.