Where we at?

I've been in Germany the past month, just kinda chillin' after I finished with school. But now I'm back! (well, the other day or so, actually, but still dealing with jetlag)

The point is, for the first time in LiveJournal's 3+ years of operation, I don't have distractions to keep me from working on the site.

At this point, I have around a hundred projects I want to see done. I'm going to start writing them all down and assigning them to the LJ crew, including myself, since I have so much time. (oh, and did I mention I have a lot of free time now?)

As for site slowness, yeah... we know, and 7 new servers have been ordered. On top of that, avva and I are working on 3 projects to improve the speed of the site.

I spent all yesterday moving services around the existing 23 servers for better performance, though I actually caused some problems by restarting things during peak-usage times. (my bad... was used to Germany time, where I could work mid-day)

Other fun stuff: the translation infrastructure is done, so expect to see the whole site, FAQ, and news/maintenance journals in different languages coming soon-ish. calliste will be doing German, along with some friends of hers, and we'll be looking for more translators as well. Ideally we'll have ~10 languages available in a bit here.

This is all possible to do correctly now that we have UTF-8 on the site, which has basically stabilized. (except, if you use Netscape 4.x, which has largely broken UTF-8 support). Other fun stuff now that we have UTF-8 includes the upcoming XML/RSS/etc support, much of which is already done, but hidden away and not talked about it because it was basically broken without knowing the encoding of text.

Anyway, more later. I'm going to try to post a lot more frequently here and let y'all know what's up. If the rest of the LJ crew likes the idea, I'll try to post weekly the details of what we've all been up to each week.