LiveJournal commercial, 1 of 4

As we mentioned earlier, we recently had some commercials made. The guys at Angel Valley Media approached us and were like, "Yo, we want to do something different, and we're LiveJournal users, so we were thinking about making some LJ commercials." jproulx urged me to go for it. I was like, "Naah, commercials are expensive." But Angel Valley was offering to do them essentially at cost and we decided it could be a lot of fun, so we had them do it.

Here's their behind-the-scenes stuff about making the commercials:

http://www.angel-valley.com/onlocation/

Four commercials have been made, but we've only done anything with 1 of them so far. Each is on a different topic... the "publishing" one played in Regal Cinemas from Dec 12th-25th, in 4 cities, in about 4 theaters per city. Nothing big. Nice and cheap. The main motivation in making the commercials is that I'd never had a commercial made before, and life's all about trying out new things. If it were super expensive it wouldn't have been worth it, but at such a nice price I couldn't resist. The second motivation was to give us a good reason and motivation to finally remove invite codes (hence the Regal Cinemas showing) and it succeeded in that. The final motivation was just to get people's reactions when they saw them, and we heard quite a bit from users, so that was fun.

And because most users (including myself) weren't able to see the commercial in the theater, here are the video files: [MPEG1, 5.9M] [Windows Media, 2.0M]

We'll be posting the rest over the next few days. (I haven't got the final-final versions myself, so bear with me....)

I'm also going to be posting our New Years Resolutions for 2004... directions we want to head in and such. You can look for those Jan 1st-ish.

If I don't post before then, have a safe and happy New Year's!

Update: MPEG2 file replaced with an MPEG1 file, so you can play it on Macs.