Jesse Proulx (jproulx) wrote in news,
Jesse Proulx
jproulx

February Status Report

I just arrived in Portland and now I’m working at the LiveJournal office. Whitaker is set to arrive at the end of March, so we’ll all be working together in person.

There are a few new options on the Edit Personal Information page: The “Get comments you post e-mailed to you” option allows you to keep track of all the comments you post on LiveJournal in your e-mail client, and the “Use image placeholders on your friends page” option lets you filter images that are a certain size or larger from your friends page.

There’s also a new option on the Update Journal page called “Screened Comments” which lets you screen comments differently on each entry.

There’s a new S2 style called Haven, which you can preview at s2haven, or select from the Customize Journal page after you select “New System (S2)” as your style system.

Your LiveJournal user information is now available in a machine-readable format called FOAF, which stands for Friend of a Friend. This format can be used for a lot of interesting and nifty sites and tools like Plink, PeopleAggregator, and FoaF Explorer.

Client developers can now use the Atom API to communicate with LiveJournal’s servers. Atom is a publishing standard that’s used by other journaling/blog sites like Blogger and TypePad, and independant software such as Movable Type and Radio Userland.

Last but not least, there are new links on the top of most pages called Bread Crumbs, which tells you which page you’re on in relation to the rest of the site.

On top of those new features we’ve been working pretty hard on profiling the code on the site, which is helping us to pinpoint the major CPU and database problems as they come up. We’ve ordered 4 new fast webservers which will help out with CPU heavy tasks, and we’re working on switching our internal networks to gigabit speed. The big goal for March will be to continue profiling the code and making the site reliable.

The big goal for February was to split up the overloaded concept of “friends”, but we’re in the process of discussing specific development policies in communities such as lj_biz and lj_dev. We don’t want to make major changes in the friends feature without consulting the community first. We’ve also made a lot of progress with our photo hosting integration, but there's still a bit more to finish up on that. We’re doing a lot better on focusing on our main goals, though, especially with most of us in the office now.

We’ll post a follow-up to this if there are common questions we need to answer. Have a nice weekend and a nice March!