Jesse Proulx (jproulx) wrote in news,

May News

Summer is starting, and we heartily welcome the sun and warmer weather. Here in the office we look around and notice only one thing missing for a successful summer: you! We're looking for talented Bay Area locals that can intern part-time or program full-time. If you fit the description, apply now!

Now, to kick off the summer properly, we're starting with a 24 hour permanent account sale. A permanent account is the ultimate prize for a LiveJournal addict, comes with 50 user pictures and all of the current paid features, and has the added convenience in never having to pay for your account again. Considering that we've added a lot of features since our last permanent account sale two years ago, we've bumped the price up to a fair $150 USD. The sale starts Tuesday, June 7th (midnight EST) and will last until Wednesday, June 8th (midnight EST). Graduation gift anyone?

New Features:
In paid feature news Six Apart managed to obtain an mp3 license for us, so any new phonepost made after today will default to mp3 encoding. You can still choose between Ogg and GSM-encoded WAV if you want (we recommend Ogg!), but mp3 is popular and the support for it is everywhere now.

4 out of 5 of the style contest winners are now available for general use -- go forth and customize! Over the next few months we'll be adding more and more styles, so keep an eye out for new additions.

We recently purged all of the accounts that have been deleted for 30 days or more, and in the process we freed up a lot of usernames that can be used with rename tokens. Check out the list of recently purged usernames to see if there's a rename suited for you.

Upcoming Changes:
In housekeeping news, our lawyers have informed us that everyone needs to agree to the new Terms of Service. We were supposed to do this in January when we got acquired, but we forgot and now we can't put it off. If you login, post a comment, or post an entry after next Wednesday (June 8th), you will also be asked to review and agree to the new Terms of Service. We will make this as seamless as possible (you won't lose the comment or entry you were trying to post), and once you agree you won't be asked again until we change the Terms of Service (which we don't see happening for a long time, if ever).

We've got plenty on the horizon for this summer: Mark and Mahlon have been working hard on adding tags to journal entries, and are in the process of internal testing and evaluation. Brad's working on LiveJournal OpenID integration, which will allow users from other journal services (like DeadJournal and TypePad) to leave comments on your entries seamlessly. We're going to be redesigning the style selection pages to make it easier to customize your journals, and Scrapbook will get a facelift and nifty new features like video support.

Update: In light of all of the feedback regarding the permanent account sale, we will be raising the user picture limit to 100 for all permanent accounts.

Have a fantastic June!