still unknown (kimmi8) wrote in news,
still unknown
kimmi8

November News

The holidays are just around the corner and everyone at LJ is busy cleaning house in preparation. In fact many of you may have noticed the unplanned outage we had two weeks ago while doing routine maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused, especially in the days following as things took some time to ramp up. While this particular case was an issue within the data center, there are a lot of things we can do on our end to make problems like this easier to recover from, and increasing our reliability and uptime is always one of our primary goals.

A reminder for our paid members, there is a reimbursement offer that's available to you for the outage. Thank you again for your continued support of LiveJournal.

Voice Post Promotion
From now until the end of 2006, voice posting through the Gizmo/LJ Talk client will not count towards your account quotas!

This promotion applies to all Plus, Paid, and Permanent accounts. To get started, you need to setup your voice post settings and download the Gizmo/LJ Talk client. Then it's as easy as calling Frank the robot goat (lj_bot in your buddy list) to make a voicepost. Note - you'll need to use the dialpad screen on Gizmo/LJ Talk to enter your information once the call is placed.

Gizmo Project for LJ Talk is our preferred voice and IM client. With Gizmo/LJ Talk, you can chat with anyone on the Jabber network (GTalk, jabber.org, Gizmo Project, etc), as well as make PC-to-PC calls with other Gizmo/LJ Talk users. The client combines the functionality of voice posting through their network (and yes, International users can voice post with it too), with all of the LJ Talk functionality, in addition to features such as voicemail and callout credit for landline numbers.

For more information, see the FAQs on Gizmo/LJ Talk.

Embedding Media
You can now add videos and other media from these additional hosting services: ifilm.com, Sonific.com, and Singshot.com. For a full list of providers, including instructions for adding media to your journals, view the FAQs. Be sure to check back in a few weeks as we continue to expand our provider list.

Note that videos and music players will not autoplay. You can, of course, put the media behind an LJ-cut if you or your friends don't want to see a placeholder for the video on your Friends page.

TxtLJ
For users on the Cingular Blue network, TxtLJ should be available to you now. If you haven't tried it yet, and you want to interact with LJ 'on the go', take a look. You can stay in touch by posting entries and reading your friends page while you're away from the computer. (We hear rumors of this mythical place 'Outside'. If anyone has tangible proof, send it to our office?).

There may not be much activity in news, but we're continually working to fix issues and add enhancements to the site. Check the community lj_releases for posts regarding changes that we're making every week.

Lastly, we also wanted to give a shout-out to the rest of the team here at Six Apart. The folks who work on other stuff have been busy -- check out the podcast recorded the other day. If you're interested in that kind of stuff, you can watch the six_apart news feed on your Friends page.

See you after Thanksgiving! Or, for those of you who aren't in the US: see you in a few weeks!