still unknown (kimmi8) wrote in news,
still unknown
kimmi8

Arrr, September News in LiveJournal Land!

Ahoy, ye scurvy dogs! Cap'n K.Scudder here. Today be Talk Like A Pirate Day - raise yer hook if you're talkin' like a pirate today! YARRR! We've been busy here kickin' round the scallywags aboard th' H.M.S. LiveJournal and discovered a few grog-filled thin's t' for you. We've also been makin' notices in lj_biz regarding ship cap'n changes. Avoid them only if ye be wantin' to be stuck in the brig, arrrrr.

Now, ya mateys, feast your greedy eyes upon this chest o' September updates!

HP's "What Do You Have To Say?" Contests

The HP "What Do You Have To Say?" contests are ending soon, so enter while you can!

When you respond to the Writer's Block prompt, you'll automatically be entered into the contest. We'll select the five best responses for each theme and post them to a poll in lj_contests. Head to the "What Do You Have To Say?" contest landing page for contest details and a link to the Official Rules.

This week's theme is "Arts & Crafts" and the prizes are a $150 gift certificate to Art.com for the Grand prize winner and two runners-up will each receive a $25 gift certificate to Art.com.

Be sure to answer the Writer's Block prompt by September 23rd for your chance to enter the contest!

"Knocked Up" Is Coming Soon To DVD

The movie "Knocked Up" starring Katherine Heigl and Seth Rogen is coming out on DVD, September, 25th! To celebrate the DVD release, Ben of “Knocked Up” is returning to the knockedupmovie Sponsored Community to discuss the next phase of relationships.

Every day leading up to the DVD release, slacker_ben will invite you to answer questions about getting serious, marriage and parenthood. Like before, he’ll give away cool prizes from the movie to the best responses. He’ll also pepper in some trivia questions, favorite scenes and extras from the movie!

Preview of th' comely New Customize Journal area for me proud beauties

We know it's important to you to get the look and design of your journals and communities just right, so we've been working on making the Customize Journal area easier to use. The team has put together significant changes, including adding in screenshots and making the flow easier to understand. Here's a quick preview of some of the changes:

Since this is a big change to a popular area of the site, we'll launch the new Customize area as a beta test at the end of the month. Stay tuned to news for full instructions on how to participate in the beta test.

What else ye got?!! Be that it matey..Try Ou' "Lazy SMS"

One thing about the LiveJournal engineers is that no matter how busy they are, they'll still try to find time to hack on cool projects. whitaker was always frustrated when he was out and about and encountered something he wanted to look up or read more about, but he didn't have access to his computer and then later on he'd always forget. Lazy SMS is his solution to that problem.

Here's how to try it out:

1) Make sure you're set up for TXTLJ (Read more about TXTLJ)

2) Send "lazy somewordhere" to TXTLJ from your phone (Example: "lazy treasure chests" or "lazy pirate ships")

3) LJ automatically looks up "somewordhere" in Wikipedia and:

3.1) If an article is found, its contents are automatically posted as a private post to your journal

3.2) If there's no article, a placeholder is automatically posted privately to remind you to do a search.

What are you going to look up using Lazy SMS? Answer if yer brave or ye walk th' plank!
Tags: news, pirate day