The empire strikes backIn recent weeks, we've taken huge steps towards blocking spam accounts on LiveJournal. In fact, we've suspended as many as 30,000 accounts in a single day! We've implemented several pre-emptive measures to prevent the creation of spam accounts, and we've honed our detection of suspicious content. Spam bots are a crafty lot, so we'll continue to refine our tactics and keep up the good fight to keep you safe from spam attacks on LiveJournal.
RSS feeds againIf you're addicted to xkcd_rss, icanhaschzbrgr, or other syndicated feeds, we're pleased to report that we've resolved the update error that was mucking up your RSS feeds. While content was being pulled correctly, it wasn't being posted to the feeds themselves. Late last week, we finally nailed down what we hope was the root problem, so content should post properly. We thank you for your patience.
Wii have killer CSI Deadly Intent contests!
If you're a gamer who loves CSI, have Wii got news for you! c_s_i is sponsoring killer contests. Simply post a question to a member of the CSI crew. The winner will get a free copy of CSI: Deadly Intent for Nintendo Wii (with a retail value of $39.99) and get their question answered by a member of the CSI writing team! There's also a fantastic monthly contest. To enter, join c_s_i, play the online version of CSI: Deadly Intent, and respond to a two-part query for a chance to win a Wii! Entries will be judged on composition and originality. Sorry, but you must be a U.S. resident and over 18 years old to participate. Check out the rules here.
Enveloped in postcardsLast week, we asked you to send in postcards to help us decorate our drab concrete walls. Here's a photo of the results so far! Thank you so much and please keep them coming! You can mail them to Frank the Goat, Esq., c/o LiveJournal, Inc., 539 Bryant Street, Suite 210, San Francisco, CA 94107. Be sure to include your username, since we'll be giving ten random users paid account credits.
Photos of the weekIf you haven't visited our new LiveJournal photo community, you're in for an amazing visual trip. LiveJournal users from around the world will take you on a scenic journey to everywhere. Post your own pictures or kick back and enjoy at lj_photophile. You can view some of this week's awesome photos after the jump. Please start tagging with geographic location, since we'd like to track all the places around the world represented in this community. Keep on commenting too!
Spotlight community of the weekGet your fix of Chinese pop culture and entertainment news.
Conquer Writer's BlockHere are some excerpts from this week's most popular question of the day:
Which character from any film, television show, or book would you most like to take on a date and why?
- Anna Marie Darkholme AKA Rogue Because I love her, because she deserves it more than anyone else I know, and you don't get to know the rest.
- Polgara the Sorceress from the David Eddings books. She is well aged, infinitely wise, imminently powerful, and gorgeous.
- Edward Cullen because he is gorgeous and a gentleman!
- This one is SOOOOO easy. I would date Donatello from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in a second. My obsession with Donatello is probably not healthy but I dun care.
- I would most like to take Michael Madsen from Reservoir Dogs on a date. Particularly his character, Mr. Blonde. I enjoy his undying cynicism and craziness. In essence, he's sexy.
- Edward Scissorhands, because I probably love him more most than other fictional character and possibly more than a good amount of real people.
- Oh, it's NO CONTEST there! I'd choose Hannibal Lecter from The Silence of the Lambs. He's real smart, perceptive and has a gorgeous pair of eyes. Oh, and he seems to have some interesting recipes.
- Shaggy, from Scooby Doo. I've always had a crush on him. How fun would it be to smoke some weed and then investigate haunted houses? BEST DATE EVAR!
- Selene from underworld! Who wouldn't want a date with a sexy vampire woman =D
- The Winchesters from Supernatural... Sam n Dean are hot. Movies wise probably Jacob from Twilight. Idk lol.