We've enhanced and de-bugged Notes. If you haven't tried it yet, now's the time! You can create a private note when you ban multiple users. You can also delete multiple notes at once. Lastly, paid users have the option to add a note (visible only to you) whenever you add or remove a friend (guaranteed to avoid embarrassing social mishaps). If you don't currently have a paid account, you can upgrade now! It only takes a few minutes and costs less than a bad shopping mall haircut (plus, it's way more fashionable)!
Product tweaks and bug kill
- In another effort to zap spam, comments containing links from domains LiveJournal deems untrustworthy are now automatically screened
- The issue causing random comments to vanish has been fixed!
- If you visit a LiveJournal page and get prompted to log in, you'll be returned to the same page after you sign in (Thanks, Dreamwidth)!
- If you don't edit the timestamp for an entry at all, the entry timestamp will indicate the time the entry was posted instead of the time the Update Journal page was loaded
- Comments with paddings/backgrounds render correctly within the comment box (and will no longer wrap outside the box and break frames/margins)
New FCK fixes rich text editor!
- We've updated our RTE (Rich Text Editor) to FCKeditor version 2.6.5
- When switching from the RTE to HTML editor, links for syndicated feeds are no longer broken
- RTE now functions properly in Safari 4.0
- An extra line/space will not be auto-inserted whenever you switch from RTE to HTML editor
- The insert image link now works correctly in all browsers
We’re pleased to introduce you to lj_cares, a new LiveJournal community dedicated to raising awareness and funds for U.S. charitable organizations that improve the health and well-being of people around the world. Each month, we’ll spotlight a nonprofit that is making a significant global impact through medical research, public outreach, and/or humanitarian social programs. Charities will be selected in accordance with the U.S. calendar of national health observances based on a high rating (of over 60%) on Charity Navigator and global scope of impact.
In this, our inaugural month of November, we will celebrate national adoption month by offering a charitable virtual gift (priced at $2.99) to support Love Without Boundaries, an organization that saves the lives of orphans with life-threatening diseases and places them in loving homes around the world. LiveJournal will donate 100% of the proceeds from the sale of charitable vgifts (we'll cover the cost of credit card transaction fees). To learn more about Love Without Boundaries, please visit lj_cares and read about how they helped save Baby Kang and the Rainbow Twins from fatal illnesses, who are now thriving in nurturing families. You can purchase your Love Without Boundaries gifts in the Virtual Gift shop.
Papered in postcards
A couple of weeks ago, we asked you to send in postcards to surround us with LiveJournal community. Thanks for coming through! We've received postcards all the way from Germany, Finland, and Canada and from all over the US, including Texas, Florida, Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Indiana, Hawaii, and Oklahoma just to name just a handful. We're thrilled with our improved decor.
Please keep the love coming for one more week by writing to Frank the Goat, Esq., c/o LiveJournal, Inc., 539 Bryant Street, Suite 210, San Francisco, CA 94107. Be sure to include your username, since we'll be drawing the names of ten random contributors next Thursday to win paid account credits!
Photos of the week
We have more dazzling images posted by talented LiveJournal photographers from around the world. We're hoping to span the entire globe, so please continue posting and tagging. Of course, you can also sit back and enjoy the view at lj_photophile.
You can see a sample of this week's gorgeous photos and check out spotlight communities and awesome user content after the jump!
Explosive CSI Deadly Intent contests!
We've got more knock-down, drag-out videogame action. If you're a fan of CSI: Deadly Intent, join csi_ny and post a question to the CSI: Deadly Intent writing team. If your entry is chosen, your question will be answered plus you'll win a free copy of CSI: Deadly Intent for the Wii. You can also play the game online and answer a couple of questions for a chance to win a Wii! Winners will be selected on the bases of composition and originality. Sorry, but you must be a U.S. resident and over 18 years old to participate. Check out the rules here.
Spotlight community of the week
Publish your six word novel now. Short on time, tall on creativity? Brevity is the soul of wit.
Conquer Writer's Block
Here are some excerpts from this week's most popular question of the day:
If you could change one major thing about your life, whether a relationship, your job, your living situation, your school, etc., what would it be? Are you currently working toward a serious life transition?
- Oh yes, would not have gotten married, Oh what a bad idea that was, the children, fantastic, I adore my kids, but marrying their father, dear God that was a mistake...
- I would have gotten serious about school when I was younger, and finished it! Oh, how I kick myself for not doing this.
- If there is anything I should change it's my job :/ I should get a full-time job doing something that I like or I should be working less and going back to school. Because of various issues I just don't.
- I would stop focusing on love and sex and focus on school.
- I would change careers. I might change homes. I would change bodies. (Not altogether. But I'd adjust the one I have.) I would NOT change spouses...
- IF I could Change one thing it would be a relationship, Iwould go back and never get on the website. I met a man and cheated on my husband. I would never cheat I would never leave him...
- I'm a very shy person, which makes me look very introverted. I take time to come out to people, I'd love to change that about me.
- I want to change jobs. I currently teach Kindergarten and while I realize it's importance---I am sooo burned out. Letters, sounds, numbers, color words, site words, sorting, graphing. I told my co-worker just this afternoon, "If I have to tell a student, "No!, that's a 'B' not a 'D' one more time," I'm gonna shoot myself." My mind is slowly turning to mush.
- For my friends to stop judging me. i do/wear what i want. im my own person. they don't seem to get that...
- It's easy for people to look back at their lives and wish they had done something differently. I, however, refuse to do so. I am happy with who I am, who I surround myself, where I'm living and where I'm heading in life. If any minute detail of my past were changed, there's no telling who I would currently be, who I would have married or where I would end up living.
We thank you, once again, for joining us. See you next week!