LiveJournal Major Notes: Header design contest, ONTD, Improving site speed, Snowflake cookies

In anticipation of exciting things to come, we're delighted to announce that you can now start rebuilding your Userpic collection entirely from scratch! If you've been putting off the drudgery of deleting your old Userpics one at a time to reinvent yourself, help is on the way! Starting today, you'll notice all of your Userpics slowly disappearing, giving you the opportunity to create a brand new collection that meets your every changing mood and identity. In the meantime, Frank would like to honor the new month by celebrating important firsts. If you were the first among your family or friends to do something totally groundbreaking (e.g., throw out your TV, become dangerously obsessed with Arrested Development, renounce junk food, enter a hot-dog-eating contest, etc.), send Frank a mushy Muah!, and he'll honor your virtual birthday with a yummy snowflake cookie. To prevent a possible avalanche, he'll only toss his sugar cookies to the first 20 pages of commenters.

Serious stuff you should know:

  • All joking aside, congrats to our homegrown celebs at ohnotheydidnt, who broke a LiveJournal record with over 100,000 members! Cheer them on here!
  • Just a heads up: In order to improve site efficiency, we'll soon be purging LiveJournal accounts that have been suspended for more than six months. This will help us improve overall site performance. It will also free up a lot of parked usernames! We want to thank you, again, for your patience while we get our servers up to speed. Please note that if you have a suspended account, you can still download and save your journal entries.
  • It's time to cast your vote for Round One of the second LiveJournal header design contest! We received such a dizzying number of entries (75!) that we'll ask you to choose one finalist from each of the five polls below. We'll post Round Two in next week's News so you can choose an ultimate winner. Polls remain open until Wednesday, April 5th, at 2pm, PST. Brace yourself for some tough decisions:
  • We invite you to start posting header designs to remixed for our next monthly contest. In addition to achieving eternal fame and glory, the winner will get a $25 gift certificate. All other participants will receive $5 gift certificates (only one per user). Entries should be 900x90 pixels and should include the LiveJournal logo and menu, so we can see what your header will look like when it's up and running (which will be from mid-May to mid-June). Thanks, again, for sharing your talent!
  • We wanted to run an idea by you. We were so blown away by all of your amazing header designs that we'd like to develop a gallery of user-made journal styles. Sadly, the last time we tried something like this, we didn't get much of a response. But given the incredible amount of creativity we've seen lately, we wanted to know if you'd be interested in a monthly journal style contest. The winning entries would be placed in a featured gallery for all LiveJournal users to adopt and adore! We'd also award gift certificates to winners and participants. Tell us what you think below. BTW, you can check out existing styles here.

Photography Book Now 2010 contest

We're pleased to be a sponsor of Blurb's international photo contest, Photography Book Now 2010, featuring a panel of distinguished judges from the world of art, publishing, and journalism, including Radius Books, The New York Times Style Magazine, the SF MoMA, and the London Sunday Times. You can start submitting photos in the areas of Fine Art, Editorial, and Portfolio now through July 15th! Winning photos will appear in a book to be published and distributed by Blurb. The grand prize winner will receive $25,000 with plenty of additional awards for runners up. You can view the contest rules here. Happy shooting!

For our featured photo and more drama with Frank & Meme, we'll catch you under the cut! Read more...Collapse )
Thanks, again, for spending time with us. We'll see you next week!

Tags: blurb, header design poll, ontd, site speed, snowflake cookie avalanche, suspended accounts, usernames