Sort community by poster, Twitter reposting, Twitter sign-in, Map embedding, NaNoWriMo

Thanks for hanging in while we slogged through the site slow-down last week. Our mighty Ops guys have juggled server loads to get us back on track. Frank was so jazzed to see all of your awesome celebrity and fictional heartthrobs that he's dying to see more of your stuff! Show him a userpic that illustrates your favorite hobby (be sure to tell him what it is and why you love it), and he'll send you over a toy plane to make time fly.

Important stuff to know

  • Sort community by poster: Have you ever read an awesome entry in a community that left you longing to read more of that user's posts? Now you can view entries by a particular user in a community by appending "?poster=exampleusername" to the end of the community's URL (e.g., http://community.livejournal.com/frankandmeme/?poster=frank). We'll be adding a link to make this feature more accessible. Please let us know in comments where you'd like to see the 'sort by poster' link (e.g., under Communities in the nav bar, in the hover menu, etc.).
  • Twitter reposting: If you connect your Twitter account to LiveJournal, you'll now see a checkbox that enables you to repost your public tweets automatically each day on LiveJournal. Here are some additional facts to keep in mind:
    • Public tweets will repost as a group to LiveJournal each day at noon based on your timezone or GMT, if no timezone is specified. The post will be cut after the tenth tweet, if applicable.
    • Twitter reposts will follow your default privacy settings on LiveJournal. Reposts to LiveJournal will link to your Twitter profile and be added to the Twitter topic search, depending on your Twitter privacy settings.
    • Twitter reposts will NOT be cross-posted back to Facebook or Twitter.
  • Twitter sign-in: You can log into LiveJournal using a Twitter account name and password (similar to Open ID and Facebook log-in). This allows you to post comments, add friends, upload userpics, and quickly upgrade to a full LiveJournal account.
  • Map embedding tag: You can embed a Google or Yandex iframe map into a journal entry by inserting the following tag: <lj-map url="http://InsertGoogleOrYandexMapURL.com">. For now, the <lj-map> tag can only be used with the HTML editor. If you're using the Rich Text Editor (RTE) to post your entries, you'll need to switch to the HTML editor tab to use this feature.
  • Learn more: For more technical details on this release, please see lj_releases.

LiveJournal welcomes back NaNoWriMo

We'd like to welcome another year of aspiring novelists to LJ_NaNoWriMo, a community for LiveJournal users who devote the month of November to crafting a 50,000-word novel. When you purchase the typewriter vgift (on the left), we'll donate 100 percent of proceeds (we'll cover credit card processing fees) to NaNoWriMo. Frank will also be sending participants who register for NaNoWriMo and post to lj_nanowrimo special vgifts. Lastly, we'll award 2,000 LJ Tokens to five randomly-selected writers who complete this literary odyssey for the first time and 2,500 LJ Tokens to five randomly-chosen writers who achieve this milestone again. Remember, you must register with NaNoWriMo and post your registration number in lj_nanowrimo to qualify for gifts and prizes. We look forward to reading your work!

Did you know ...?

If you've added a lot of users and communities to your Friends page, it can be challenging to keep up. This week, we're talking about how to create a Default View group that narrows your Friends page to a core set of users and communities. The Default View group is especially helpful for filtering out high-volume communities.

To create a Default View group, here's what you do:
  • Go to the Manage Custom Friends Groups page.
  • Click the 'New' button.
  • Specify the name of the group as Default View: You must match the text exactly for the Default View feature to function properly.
  • Add the journals and communities that you want to see on your Friends page.
  • Click the 'Save Changes' button to create the Default View group.

Now, when you visit your Friends page, you'll only see entries from your Default View group! (You can still view entries from other users or communities by visiting them directly.) For more information on filtering your friends page, check out this FAQ. If there any other features you'd like us to cover, let us know in comments. We'll be back next week with another fun tip!

Photos of the week

Congrats to martinibaby1, who won our 40th lj_photophile poll! Click here to vote for the next photo of the week. Another round of praise for hep, who won our last themed contest with this photo and selected our next topic: Decay. FYI: We pick entries for the polls based on a combination of comments, +1 ratings, and staff input. Winners of both polls receive 500 LJ tokens. We thank you for sharing your talent with the global LiveJournal community.

Frank & Meme's Excellent Adventure

We've got five great new entries for your reading pleasure. Frank and Meme invite you to decide their fate by voting for the next official chapter. Comment on the poll to receive a special treat from Frank. We'll award the winning author 1,000 LJ Tokens and all other writers 500 LJ Tokens.

Thanks, again, for joining us. We'll see you next week!
Tags: did you know, filter friends, frankandmeme, map embedding, nanowrimo, photos of the week, sort community by poster, twitter reposting, twitter sign-in