LiveJournal Release 91 is Live: New Features, Bug Fixes and More

MODERATOR TOOLS AND STYLES TOP THE LIST OF "NEW" IN THIS LATEST LIVEJOURNAL SITE UPDATE

LiveJournal Release 91 is live! Let’s just dive right in, shall we?

WHAT'S NEW
Moderators: Edit tags BEFORE approving an entry
Any of the thousands of mods on LiveJournal communities can attest to the hassle of editing tags after they’ve approved a post. Release 91 fixes this: Moderators can now edit tags before approving a post – especially useful if your community has pre-set tags.
Community Owners and Maintainers: See at a glance who approved that post
To keep track of who approves posts to the community you own or maintain – especially large ones with more than a few moderators – the username of who approved the post now appears above the entry subject line (visible to community owners & maintainers only). Note this feature is only available if the LiveJournal default comment pages are being used.
Everybody: Scissors for lj-cut
For those of you who use lj-cut or visit communities and journals that do, you’ll notice a new icon depicting a pair of scissors – ✂ – to denote where the cut is.

WHAT'S FIXED
LiveJournal Release 91 fixes the following known bugs:

Commenting Fixes
  • Selecting a userpic with multiple keywords will no longer cause the comment to post with your default userpic.
  • Userpics can now be selected without the use of a mouse. Press Shift+tab until the userpic selector is highlighted, press enter, use the arrow keys to select the desired userpic, and press enter. You can also now use the arrow keys to select your desired userpic after clicking on the userpic selector to open it.
  • Expanding very long comment threads in the site default commenting scheme will now properly expand the thread.
  • Expand links will now appear even if every comment in a thread is frozen.
  • Bold, italic, and underline buttons should now insert these tags in the correct places.
  • "Your message was blank" errors no longer appear when hitting ctrl+enter twice.

Other fixes
  • The Rich Text Editor will again show where you have inserted lj-cut and lj-spoiler tags.
  • Settings for displaying CAPTCHAs in communities use the community's setting instead of the entry-author's setting.
  • General display problems with image placeholders have been fixed.
  • Formatting errors on the Sitemap have been fixed.
  • "Share this" links have been fixed in styles where it was not functioning.
  • Journal titles should appear again for Internet Explorer 8 users in the system styles that weren't displaying them.

WHAT'S GONE
Games
LiveJournal is saying goodbye to the beta games implementation. You’ll notice “Games” has disappeared from the LiveJournal navigation bar, and all of the games have been removed from the site.

Writer's Block
For those missing Writer's Block, please know that though it was removed from the LiveJournal home page, the writersblock community remains alive and kicking. Add it to your friends list to see the day's question right on your Friends page.

We hope you find the updates, changes, and fixes in LiveJournal Release 91 useful.

The LiveJournal Team

okay

April 13 2012, 06:37:07 UTC 6 years ago Edited:  April 13 2012, 06:38:37 UTC

Any news about the lack of subject titles on collapsed threads?
Ignore the pokemon
+1, dammit.

scifishipper

6 years ago

pickledginger

6 years ago

hoggle2807

6 years ago

franklanguage

6 years ago

wednesday42

6 years ago

garage_rob

5 years ago

lumbarlaser

5 years ago

werewolf_hacker

April 13 2012, 06:42:16 UTC 6 years ago Edited:  April 13 2012, 06:43:52 UTC

What about posting a comment in a custom style kicking me back to the main page instead of the thread I was posting in? That is hugely annoying and you have been told for months that it's an issue. Considering the fact that it doesn't do it with the default comment page, it shouldn't be that damned hard to fix. Come on.

And also the issue with posts with a lot of comments getting them cut off at the bottom in custom styles. Again, it doesn't do that in the default style, so this shouldn't be a difficult fix.
Your problem is you're using logic. You must remember this is LJ.

pwalkeri

6 years ago

cargo_lift

5 years ago

geniealliance

5 years ago

taradiane

6 years ago

I see what you're doing, LJ: posting this near midnight so people in your timezone who are not night owls won't see the post till later.
lol irl.

glowing_dragon

6 years ago

creativecstasy

6 years ago

glowing_dragon

6 years ago

Yay. Thanks for gradually removing everything that was fun and made this site what it is.
Games and Writer's Block made LJ what it is?

rocks_not_dead

6 years ago

sourparfait

6 years ago

ffutures

6 years ago

Deleted comment

poshlil

6 years ago

velshtein

6 years ago

pullmystrings

6 years ago

mechers

6 years ago

queendisko

6 years ago

rocks_not_dead

6 years ago

ffutures

6 years ago

usmu

6 years ago

kurikuribebi

6 years ago

celarania

6 years ago

kurikuribebi

6 years ago

mme_h_confessor

6 years ago

Deleted comment

kurikuribebi

6 years ago

denisemedevac

5 years ago

Wow, seems you guys have been busy, and all good updates! I for one appreciate the work as always.
As always?

sarcasticval

6 years ago

ofdrumsthesound

6 years ago

It is not good that three dots after ✂ looks like a dots in the text...
Not a fan of the scissors
I like them, but I wish they'd kept the parentheses.

kehlen

6 years ago

lovepollution

6 years ago

airevac

5 years ago

callautomation

5 years ago

brickhousewench

6 years ago

Do not like the scissors. They don't even look like scissors in some fonts, particularly when bold (which is...common). If I hadn't seen the visual change to a friend's post I'd already read, I'd still be wondering what the funny-looking squished X was by a link in her post.

Return to old cut style, please, or at least present users with options.
+1

fourth_rose

6 years ago

I'll finally praise the LJ team the day that comment previews and subject lines come back. Until then, no love from me.
mte

masako

6 years ago

I don't like the sciccors. It was very unnecessary to change the LJ look! Let me guess, you didn't ask any of the users if they wanted a change and just went ahead and did it and you won't change it back if 98% of the users don't like it.
but improvements that suck is the lj way!!

hoshiko_2000

6 years ago

How about the images in my main lj's scrapbook vanishing? I opened that support thread months ago and nobody knows anything about it.
Yes! Driving me nuts!

mechers

6 years ago

Holy jesus no. Scissors as LJ cuts = most recent in LJ's never-ending series of bad decisions.

Although good on you for fixing the multiple keyword icon issue.
yeah I'm not a fan of the scissors either.

surrey_sucks

6 years ago

Now if only you could give us back the comment subject line without us having to go thru preview. :/
I really dislike the scissors....
Wow. The scissors are lame. Are there that many Eastern European users unable to tell where I cut link is with/without text??
I prefer the scissors because it keeps links inside parentheses from being mistaken for cuts.

sunleth

6 years ago

teaberryblue

6 years ago