As you may have already noticed, some video and media embedding in LiveJournal entries have been disabled, and content and security level of some entries may have changed unexpectedly. Both are related to a web security exploit that affected some entries on LiveJournal for approximately two hours today. Here is what you should know:
- You should check your recent entries to be sure the security level has not been changed and embed tags (as described below) have not been added.
- This exploit was spread through malicious Flash code embedded in journal entries.
- To combat the exploit, most video and other media embedding has been disabled - we will re-enable them on a site-by-site basis over the coming hours and days.
- Once media embedding was disabled, the exploit was stopped; it is no longer a risk.
- If you see four boxes (picture below) on a friend's entry, you should inform your friend since they may not be aware of what occurred.