Limits, continued.

So, there seems to be a lot of debate over the limits, especially the ones for paid users. I mean, 2000 comments! Never a good sign.

Scattered amongst the tons of non-constructive angry comments there were actually a few good arguments, and we do listen to well-written, calm arguments.

We don't want to hinder paid users, or piss off free users, so usage pattern stats be damned.... we'll increase the limits.

I'm not quite sure what it'll be yet, but it'll be more like 5 posts/day for free users, and 50 posts/day for early/paid/perm. 50 is pretty much "no limit", which so many paid users were wanting. We might even make it 70/day, and just manually check out anybody going over 50/day (or so much disk usage/day) for abusive behavior.

A lot of people asked, "Why should a paid user be limited? We're paying for it, why would we abuse it?" We don't want to hinder real users. The limit should be something you won't reach, so hopefully 50 you'll find better. The problem is, there are plenty of people who would pay a one-time $5 fee to have unfettered go-wild kill-the-server access. Just look how angry some people were in those 2,000 comments!

Also, we'll deal with the community posting issues before putting it live. Posts to certain communities won't count towards your quota at all, and posts to paid communities will have so many free posts/member/day.

I was totally serious when I said we aren't trying to be evil, though I saw so many people making fun of that statement. I'm just as much as an LJ addict as most of you, and I just want the site to be reliable.

Oh, let's do a poll....
Poll #99497 Limits

Is 5 posts/day for free users more reasonable?

Yes
7418(82.9%)
No
1531(17.1%)

Is 50 posts/day for non-free users reasonable?

Yes
8045(89.9%)
No
905(10.1%)

Do you still hate us?

Yes
774(8.7%)
No
8143(91.3%)

Do you understand the need for limits, in some form?

Yes
8545(95.2%)
No
428(4.8%)