Simon Wistow (deflatermouse) wrote in news,
Simon Wistow
deflatermouse

The search for enlightenment

Since I was outed in the State of the Goat post I figured it was probably a good time to let you know what's going on with search and LJ.

In short ...

  • We're building a search system for LJ: journals, entries, communities, people, or everything on the site.
  • Our new search will respect your privacy settings.
  • We tried talking to partners like Google and Yahoo about using their search stuff, but that didn't work out.
  • LJ's new search is going to be built on 100% Free-as-in-Speech Software.
  • It'll take a few months to finish everything up and to index the billions of entries already in LJ, but we'll start testing things before then.
  • We wanted to let you know about it before it launches because our New Year's resolution was to have fewer surprises. Except for Ninja attacks, which must by their very nature remain a surprise.

If you want more details then read below the cut.

Make with the clicky ...Collapse )